GDT: 2022 NHL Draft (And Trade Rumors) - Montreal - July 7 - July 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry44

#FlyersPerpetualMediocrity
Mar 1, 2002
Maybe they're banking on Stootzly/DeBrincat being their own poor man's (lol) McDavid/Draisaitl? 2 great players on an otherwise bad team to build around?

That's all I got. I'm not awfully familiar with the Sens' pipeline but it does seem an odd choice.

Do they actually go after Giroux as is being reported to crack a playoffs window open?
Sens have more good young players than you give them credit for. Adding DeBrincat and Giroux would give them a huge boost.

Ottawa Senators 2021 Roster

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Nemec is fine, but I have so many questions. Why is he always flat-footed? He’s so passive in his zone, but when he decides to get aggressive he loses all positional discipline. Is his wrister as bad as I fear it might be? Is that why no one made him a Winger? Look at the difference between his NZ carry play when he skates it out vs when he’s the 2nd guy to touch the puck. I feel like his Entries are a completely different animal when someone feeds him into space further forward on the ice. I don’t know if that’s a footspeed or a mental issue after two quick cuts. I like him the most after possession has been established.

If you’re not telling me either of the two I’d head and shoulders above the other, I definitely want to take a high-end swing at a Forward. Nemec feels safer than I usually feel the archetype is, but the riskier ones are the guys that usually can be stars. With them, it’s “Are they so good that they can do X against NHLers?” I’ve got none of that here. He’s good in a higher-event way, but it feels soft capped. LHV would be among the worst places in the league for him.

I’m only about 8 names deep on this entire draft and I skipped the top two, but I’ve seen exactly two guys where I can visualize NHL star paths. One isn’t under consideration and the other likely goes before 5. Yeah, trade down.

How he bounces from extreme passivity to aggressiveness without the puck, usually with no awareness of the situation, is one of the first things I noticed. Having horrific gaps, only to then chase someone wildly, is less than ideal. Scouching touched on his propensity to fling pucks out of the defensive zone, if he's not carrying, which is another concern. If I thought he could be elite offensively, I'd accept the development argument for these things (no comment about the Flyers doing the developing). But I'm just not even sold on him being great offensively. Then you're dealing with a rushing defender who is only an above average mover. I just don't know how to reconcile these concerns for a 5th overall pick.

I don't think I've ever seen a top of a draft class that had me so apathetic. I think Jiricek is more projectable in terms of translatable skills, but I don't think he touches Nemec's puck rushing and o-zone passing, which I'd probably latch onto, given the choice. But without confidence, which is a theme. Either are better than Gauthier, I suppose, but those shouldn't be the only doors.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I listed in the last thread why I don't think he's a good pick, like someone else said, he's basically Owen Tippett
I don't remember Owen Tippett during his draft year off the top of my head, was he a high potential boom or bust kind of pick or do you mean you think he projects to be Owen Tippett?

scumpup

Nov 29, 2021
How he bounces from extreme passivity to aggressiveness without the puck, usually with no awareness of the situation, is one of the first things I noticed. Having horrific gaps, only to then chase someone wildly, is less than ideal. Scouching touched on his propensity to fling pucks out of the defensive zone, if he's not carrying, which is another concern. If I thought he could be elite offensively, I'd accept the development argument for these things (no comment about the Flyers doing the developing). But I'm just not even sold on him being great offensively. Then you're dealing with a rushing defender who is only an above average mover. I just don't know how to reconcile these concerns for a 5th overall pick.

I don't think I've ever seen a top of a draft class that had me so apathetic. I think Jiricek is more projectable in terms of translatable skills, but I don't think he touches Nemec's puck rushing and o-zone passing, which I'd probably latch onto, given the choice. But without confidence, which is a theme. Either are better than Gauthier, I suppose, but those shouldn't be the only doors.
Let's hope for one of the 3 forwards to somehow drop to us then :) Positive vibes only :))).

I do like Jiricek as a pick though. Not ideal considering the draft spot however. If the price is right I wouldn't be completely against trading the pick if nemec is the last one on the board for top 5 for multiple 1sts (one this year and a 2023 1st) and a 2023 second.

2023 1st/2nd round picks are like super picks.

I definitely do not trust chuck to pilot such a move though without it being disgustingly shit.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Seeing Cooley slip to 4th, where the Flyers actually finished, only to end up in Seattle coached by Dave Hakstol, has a morbid beauty to it.
Think he might not still be there by the time Cooley gets there. There's been underground murmurs that the Kraken weren't much impressed this season.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Think he might not still be there by the time Cooley gets there. There's been underground murmurs that the Kraken weren't much impressed this season.
What?! How could they possibly judge him via a 82 game sample size? I have it on good authority Hakstol can’t be judged any earlier then 300+ games with a team. That’s when he really finds his groove.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Seems like a good deal for Ottawa short term.

A bit surprised 31 other teams didn’t top it.

Is he too much of a one-trick pony to give up that much in assets PLUS cap investment / risk of leaving in two summers?

I guess most teams feel that way. If the Flyers end up with another established scorer this summer instead of ADB I’ll be happy. It’ll be fun to have a prospect at 5th overall, though I’m skeptical of the crop.

Hurricane28

Angry Flyers STH/Weather Guy
Aug 22, 2012
South Jersey
Anyone else excited for the beginning of our second 10 year rebuild?
1657229731401.png

IronMarshal

Mar 7, 2002
Langhorne, PA
Visit site
I don't remember Owen Tippett during his draft year off the top of my head, was he a high potential boom or bust kind of pick or do you mean you think he projects to be Owen Tippett?
Actually it was me that said the risk is his floor is Owen Tippett. He has a high ceiling, contrary to what is being bandied about here. Most of these top 20 guys have high ceilings, the question is what is the probability of them reaching that high ceiling. In Gauthier's case, it may not be as high a probability as say, Cooley, Wright, Slafkovsky, etc.

I would place Wright as having the highest ceiling, with a decent probability of getting there. Gauthier's ceiling is more likely higher than Cooley's due to his size, but the probability of him being better than Cooley is on the low side, which is why Cooley is rated as the better prospect.

Savoie is more talented than Gauthier, but the probability of him being a better player than Gauthier is a push at best. I really like Savoie, but I think he is maxed out physically. He'll play and score, but he will get pushed around. His ceiling is probably something like Briere (who might actually see it that way and be pushing for him in the meetings), but the probability of him reaching that level is not great. Something less than Briere can make him a good player instead of a very good player like Briere was.

If they are indeed looking to sign a guy like DeAngelo, that might signal they are looking at a forward, and if that is the case, I really hope Cooley (or Wright, which I highly doubt) is there at #5. With the Flyers luck they add a DeAngelo, and Wright, Slafkovsky, Gauthier, and Cooley are all picked, and they are sitting there looking at the defensemen. If it plays out like that I hope they trade down rather than reach for Geekie or something. Realistically if it plays out like that, dump the DeAngelo type moves and just take Nemec (or Jiricek) and add to your young defenseman.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Seems like a good deal for Ottawa short term.

A bit surprised 31 other teams didn’t top it.

Is he too much of a one-trick pony to give up that much in assets PLUS cap investment / risk of leaving in two summers?

I guess most teams feel that way. If the Flyers end up with another established scorer this summer instead of ADB I’ll be happy. It’ll be fun to have a prospect at 5th overall, though I’m skeptical of the crop.
Imagine giving up close to that for a guy with no tricks who you only had control for 1 year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad