WC: 2022 IIHF World Championship Finland (Russia and Belarus tossed out) No Politics

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
I must say, looking forward to this tournament more than previous years.

Looking forward to a Canada v USA final. well, Canada v Finland would be sufficient as well.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Two rumblings I am getting from team GB guys

Swiss look to be hosting next year. No relegation this year. Two teams removed both gey all L and automatic relegation. Rumblings from guys who sit at the small table

Reactions: jj cale

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Has anyone been able to get a straight answer on will there be fan zones in both cities? I realize we are over 2 months away but getting a straight answer has become difficult. Last thing I heard is that it was under review

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Russia will be missed at international tournaments - being sincere. It's a real shame - on MANY levels.

Reactions: Czechboy

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
Eh? Of course it's meaningful. The NHL sabotaging this tournament and the Olympics for decades has a much more adverse effect on the tournaments than any single team (or two) missing, yet the tourneys get played anyway. And so they should.

If everyone comes to their senses one day (NHL and Russia), the tourney can morph into a true annual celebration of international hockey – a best-on-best tournament, preferably played every February instead of that travesty known as the "all-star game/week".

member 305909

Russia will be missed at international tournaments - being sincere. It's a real shame - on MANY levels.

You better get used to it. I think it will be a long time when they're back. Could be years. We might even forget about them at some point.

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
The NHL has not sabotaged this tournament for decades, where does this stuff come from?
Has the NHL been pausing/concluding its seasons to allow the best players to participate in the annual World Championships, just like all the other top hockey leagues from around the world do that? If so, that's news to me. If not (and of course they don't), that's the decades-long sabotage you're asking about.

And no, I don't insist the NHL should be pausing their play-offs. Instead, as mentioned, pause every season for one half of February, playing the World Championships or the Olympic tournament during those two weeks, instead of that ignoble mockery of hockey known under the misnomer of "all-star game".

The regular season is long & arduous enough, so such a two-week break might come in handy for everyone. Yeah, the very best players would get no break but instead get the highest international honor imaginable: play for their country in a true best-on-best tournament each and every year. Those would be the true "all-star games".

Reactions: ChaiTiefling

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Has the NHL been pausing/concluding its seasons to allow the best players to participate in the annual World Championships, just like all the other top hockey leagues from around the world do that? If so, that's news to me. If not (and of course they don't), that's the decades-long sabotage you're asking about.

And no, I don't insist the NHL should be pausing their play-offs. Instead, as mentioned, pause every season for one half of February, playing the World Championships or the Olympic tournament during those two weeks, instead of that ignoble mockery of hockey known under the misnomer of "all-star game".

The regular season is long & arduous enough, so such a two-week break might come in handy for everyone. Yeah, the very best players would get no break but instead get the highest international honor imaginable: play for their country in a true best-on-best tournament each and every year. Those would be the

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
Nope, just stating facts. There may not be intent (although I do believe the intent was there this year, camouflaged by virus concerns), but the end result is sabotage – year after year, decade after decade, with the exception of those 1998 to 2014 Olympic tourneys.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010

The regular season is long & arduous enough, so such a two-week break might come in handy for everyone. Yeah, the very best players would get no break but instead get the highest international honor imaginable: play for their country in a true best-on-best tournament each and every year. Those would be the true "all-star games".

That's not sabotage. If you want to complain about the best players not participating in the tournament, you'd want to give strong consideration to the IIHF not allowing professionals until 1977, ensuring that the value of the tournament in the eyes of millions of fans was very low for decades.

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
Yeah, but decades have passed since 1977, so...? Plenty of time for the NHL to adjust their schedule, like all the other top-tier hockey leagues around the world do it, to accommodate a true best-on-best international tournament every year (preferably in February).

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I am in Costa Rico so my information maybe up to 24 hours behind the curve.

I got to the Championships every year and worked behind the scenes in a few of them.

Made a few friends there. Mostly from the Finnish and Swedish delegations.

They sit at the small table not the big one.

Here is what they are telling me

1. Both Russia and Belarus while expelled from the Tournament will in fact appear in the standings with 0 wins in each division. Relegating both teams. All teams will receive 10 to 0 wins or 1 to 0 wins in games against them. Promoting 2 teams now has an adverse affect on lower divisions and many federations in the IIHF are asking why they are not relegated to the lowest level?

2. 2023 are supposed to be held in Russia. Meaning Russia gets in as home team. This is where the fun begins. If they agree no relegation that means team GB crosses the threshold for hosting the games. One division in Shefgield and the other in Nottingham. TEAM GB MAY HAVE APPROACHED THE IIHF with this idea. The Swiss are owed games and many expect them to host in 2023.

The question is how far the IIHF will relegate Russia and Belarus.

3. The Helsinki situation. I can not get a straight answer on just how far the changes have gone. Small table people are telling there are grave concerns for the fan zone there. I love the fan zones and that is why I go. On paper the fan zones are a go. But a hold has been placed on the Zone in Helsinki and are being reevaluated for a decision in mid April. Sponsors make money off of fan zones and other things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad