WC: 2022 IIHF World Championship Finland (Russia and Belarus tossed out) No Politics

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
Moving the 2023 World Juniors should be easy. Assuming Covid does not rear its ugly head, Hockey Canada can hold it somewhere on short notice and sell tickets.

Moving the 2023 World Championships will be less easy but it needs to be done. Not sure where. But, again, Canada certainly could do it in a pinch.

Switzerland lost the tournament due to global coronavirus situation which pushed back to the queue. The next undistributed tournament is in 2026 but I guess Switzerland should get it in Zürich and Lausanne as originally scheduled in 2020.

member 305909

I thought the new guy at the head of FIFA isn't as corrupt as Blatter was but perhaps I thought wrong or why did they hesitate to ban Russia? Russia isn't a big deal in football.

Banning Russia from hockey is like banning Brazil from football.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
How is this different or worse than Hungary 1956, Czechoslovakia 1968 or war in Afghanistan.
I'm not saying which one is worse, I am saying it's a different situation now, the Soviet union had more clout and was way more powerful then russia is right now, at that time they were one of the only 2 superpowers in the world, no one was going to have the balls to sanction them athletically for anything they did back then. They aren't the political giant they were back then and the world isn't afraid to stand up to them now in these matters such as suspending them from FIFA.WHC etc.

They would never have done that back in the day.

Last edited:

member 305909

I hope to see Russia back as soon as possible but the illegal war must end and those culpable brought down.

However, it wouldn't bother me in the least never to see Belarus again. Good riddance!

Reactions: Jussi

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Regarding EHT: they're looking for a willing replacement team (or teams) for the two remaining legs. The next season, the plan is to invite the highest-ranked European country in the 2021 IIHF world ranking following the WC.

In the present, post-olympic ranking it would be Slovakia.

kp61c

Apr 3, 2012
separate civilization
If he's one crazy man, then is there a possibility that his countrymen, including the rich and powerful, decide that he needs to go by force? How loyal are his generals, if they and their families have enough of the suffering? Or are they all very rich because of Putin? Will an uprising by the general population be enough?
personal safety is paramount for him. that's the main reason behind the war. he's paranoid and diabolically smart when it comes to securing it. only a select few have access to the body and most of them fear him to the point of crapping thier pants. i think when gaddafi was raped by a broom handle in the ass, which was made possible by our peaceful nato forces, of course, he took it personal.
here's the director fo fis talking to putin before befor the war. sad stuff, but will be informative for anyone who speaks russian

Last edited:
Reactions: Mestaruus

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Just for transparency, federations who were proposing the exclusion of Russia and Belarus together with Switzerland were:

- Latvia
- Germany
- Poland
- Estonia
- Great Britian
- Norway
- Lithaunia

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Just for transparency, federations who were proposing the exclusion of Russia and Belarus together with Switzerland were:

- Latvia
- Germany
- Poland
- Estonia
- Great Britian
- Norway
- Lithaunia

Have we heard anything yet from Canada and USA?

jcbio11

Aug 17, 2008
Bratislava
But what about Ovechkin?

He can denounce Putin, accept American citizenship and play for team USA. He's lived there long enough. Until then, no more international hockey for Ovie.

I was once a huge fan but his stance just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

HandshakeLineRespect

Respect in the Handshake Line
Apr 17, 2017
Brampton
Russians in general are going to have a hard time getting their visas renewed. Will be interesting to see how many are playing in the nhl next season.

HandshakeLineRespect

Respect in the Handshake Line
Apr 17, 2017
Brampton
He can denounce Putin, accept American citizenship and play for team USA. He's lived there long enough. Until then, no more international hockey for Ovie.

He cant even bring himself to change his instagram pic with his buddy poots. Hope he stays in Russia next year and forever.

swissdude

May 18, 2019
HC Lausanne signed Andy Miele today, wonder if there are any other players which leave their russian clubs in KHL now

Nate070

Sep 15, 2010
Maldives

I was never a fan of him. Putins lapdog

Reactions: kp61c
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad