WC: 2022 IIHF World Championship Finland (Russia and Belarus tossed out) No Politics

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

kp61c

Apr 3, 2012
separate civilization
1. You come in these forums, be prepared to be lectured whether you like it or not.
2. I wasn't even lecturing you. I was referring specifically to Russian hockey players who may be afraid that their family members living in Russia may fear reprisals if the Russian hockey players speak out against the invasion (as should be their moral obligation).
3. If we are to believe the news, any Putin cliques are supposedly being hit in the bank account as we type this. However, you are welcome to send the names of Putin cliques living free in Canada c/o Justin Trudeau, Ottawa, and I'm sure he'll look into it.
4. There may come a time when lecturing you may suit me... be prepared.
5. I was responding to the poster called DueDiligence. Your post was unintentionally included, but I wasn't responding to it.
Ok, you should start lecturing putin's fanatics like Ovechkin, Malkin and a bunch of russian-speaking posters on this site from usa and canada who have been spewing pro-putin nonsense for years.

Last edited:
Reactions: DannyGallivan

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Putin united Russia so you can't fault Russian players for supporting someone who brought their people together.

Just leave the players out of it.

Last edited:

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
With the SWIFT sanctions coming into place, the Russian fans won't likely be able to attend. No to mention that the RUB is expected to crash once the markets open up (Asia opens this afternoon).

Belarus faces the same problems, but much more acute as they are essentially tied to the Russian economy.

EDIT: Showing how bad things have gotten for the Russian economy.

The RUB was trading in the 85-95 range at the start of the conflict. Its now worthless and the Russians can't prop it up.

And they are likely going to hammer the Russian fed's ability access foreign assets in an attempt to prop up the economy.

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
I'm in favor of taking away the hosting of the 2022 and 2023 games. That takes away revenue that would be flowing into the country. I'm not onboard with expelling Russia from the IIHF.

I know they can be reinstated. But I think the message that sanctions should send is not just punitive, but punitive and incentive. If we cut all ties with Russia, then they have no incentive to improve, and actually perhaps they have perverse incentive to do something regrettable.

So revocation of memberships in general, whether it's the UN or the WHO or these commercial memberships like the IIHF, FIFA, I'm not a fan of. I still want them at the table so we can talk to them. But taking away things like scheduled games and tournaments hosted there, or conventions, events, other consumer spending opportunities, I'm good with.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
It's also perfectly possible to kick them out of the IIHF and other sports federations while maintaining normal diplomatic relations.

DVX

Oct 16, 2011
I'm in favor of taking away the hosting of the 2022 and 2023 games. That takes away revenue that would be flowing into the country. I'm not onboard with expelling Russia from the IIHF.

I know they can be reinstated. But I think the message that sanctions should send is not just punitive, but punitive and incentive. If we cut all ties with Russia, then they have no incentive to improve, and actually perhaps they have perverse incentive to do something regrettable.

Like full invasion to Ukraine?

Reactions: Nate070

DoyleG

Reality sucks, Princesses!
Dec 29, 2008
YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
But if they come out against Putin they risk reprisals against any of their family in Russia. Not a great spot to be in.

This isn't the Stalinist era. The "Families of A Traitor to The Motherland" was discarded a long time ago.

Ovie's family in Russia is fine. His mother and father are highly regarded ins the sporting realm and his in-laws in the cultural realm. Any reprisals would be coming out of their mouths.

His biggest concern is to keep his Russian sponsorship deals, which is rather moot since SWIFT has no cut off the Russian banks that hold the funds.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
I wonder what all this means for the KHL moving forward, especially after the economic sanctions that were levied and the ruble becoming basically worthless?

Reactions: bsu

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

tapi

Oct 25, 2009
Reactions: penepi

Snowsii

Jan 6, 2014
So atleast three nations has demanted to kick Russia out of iihf.. Latest being Finnish federation, so i cant see how Russia or Belarus can play in whc in Finland

Reactions: William H Bonney

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Leijonat - Venäjä ja Valko-Venäjä suljettava kansainvälisen jääkiekkotoiminnan ulkopuolelle

Finnish hockey association official statement, they expect Russia and Belarus to be excluded from all international hockey and that they refuse to play any matches with them. It's also not possible for them to take part in the World Championships in Finland this year.
Yep, as I predicted. Finland won't be playing against them, and won't accept their teams at World Championships in Finland.

Reactions: William H Bonney

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
I wonder what all this means for the KHL moving forward, especially after the economic sanctions that were levied and the ruble becoming basically worthless?

There's no "moving forward" for the KHL anymore (the monicker itself has lost its meaning) – just screeching to a halt and disintegrating back to the Russian league.

Raimo Sillanpää

Mar 11, 2003
Espoo, Finland
So atleast three nations has demanted to kick Russia out of iihf.. Latest being Finnish federation, so i cant see how Russia or Belarus can play in whc in Finland

Organisations like IIHF and FIFA typically try to sidestep the issues and say things like politics should be kept out of sports - yet that was one of the bans that worked against the Apartheid regime. But the reality now is that if the sporting bodies do not do their job then the politicians will - the Russian and Byelorussian teams would need entry visas to Finland and, that's not likely to get approved..

EK47

Jukka Jalonen should be in all the hall of fames.
Feb 7, 2013
Swedish fed. Apparently not comfortable taking a stance before meeting the big boys first. Cowards. Whichever way they may feel they wont utter a Word until they’ve talked to other federations first.

chauron

Jan 5, 2014
Leijonat - Venäjä ja Valko-Venäjä suljettava kansainvälisen jääkiekkotoiminnan ulkopuolelle

Finnish hockey association official statement, they expect Russia and Belarus to be excluded from all international hockey and that they refuse to play any matches with them. It's also not possible for them to take part in the World Championships in Finland this year.
And remember, finland is the organizing country. It means there would be larger ramifications that just the finns not showing up.

Thought I am sure they could play those in Minsk again, alone.

member 305909

The soccer federation FIFA refused to ban Russia. Well, they will change their minds about that very soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad