WC: 2022 IIHF World Championship Finland (Russia and Belarus tossed out) No Politics

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
These guys are hockey players; not journalists exposing the inner workings of Putin's government; or double agent spies.
I've been traveling to Russia for work for years. Walk into any bar there, people talk shit about Putin all the time.

Sure Putin is a tyrant, but let's keep it rational here. Russia is not exactly North Korea.

Last edited:

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
I don't think that would be a just decision. For example, what about someone like Panarin who is on the outs with the current regime?

Don't get me wrong, I completely get Hasek's reasons for his opinion as he grew up behind the iron curtain, and had opportunities denied by the USSR and this attempt at expansions must horrify him. But, I don't think you should start blindly punishing Russian citizens in the USA unless they have clear ties to the Kremlin.
Or have openly supported Putin without publicly retracting said support.

DannyGallivan

Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
I feel for Russian NHL players who's families at home live under the iron fist of an authoritarian dictatorship. I would imagine some want to speak out, but are scared to do so.
There are plenty of people I feel sorry for, that group is pretty far down the list.

What about the thousands of actual brave Russians who took to the streets t0 protest, many of whom were arrested. That is actual bravery. Then there are the Ukrainian men who actually gained asylum in Poland, but crossed back into the Ukraine to risk their lives to fight. I feel for those groups.

Reactions: THE JAM and Nate070

DannyGallivan

Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
their hockey careers in russia will be over. in fact, they will be pariahs with no prospects to speak of in their lives in general. your demands are a bit naive.
But if they come out against Putin they risk reprisals against any of their family in Russia. Not a great spot to be in.
Tough. It's worse for the Ukraine and the next nation after them. The Russian hockey players may not have chosen to be in this spot, but they are. If they want to be paid to play in North America, it's time for them to lay their cards on the table.

Thousands of homeless Ukrainians are seeking shelter and safety from strangers in neighboring countries like Poland. I'm sure the Russian players can afford to support grandma in the spare room of their multi-million dollar homes in the U.S. or Canada... if their families are actually at risk (there's no real proof of that).

DannyGallivan

Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
I don't think that any Russian (or any athlete) should have to be put on the spot for his governments actions unless they willingly/actively acted as a spokesperson/propaganda tool of said government in meaningful ways

That would be fair enough.But you can't be for Putin but against the invasion. That clearly boggles the mind.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
Tough. It's worse for the Ukraine and the next nation after them. The Russian hockey players may not have chosen to be in this spot, but they are. If they want to be paid to play in North America, it's time for them to lay their cards on the table.

Thousands of homeless Ukrainians are seeking shelter and safety from strangers in neighboring countries like Poland. I'm sure the Russian players can afford to support grandma in the spare room of their multi-million dollar homes in the U.S. or Canada... if their families are actually at risk (there's no real proof of that).
As i said to the previous poster; that's a little naive on your part.

DannyGallivan

Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
In German:
News

There seems to be a request from the Swiss and several other (in this article unnamed) federations which propose the following:

- Immediate exclusion from Russia and Belarus from the IIHF
- New hosts for WJC 2022 and WC 2023
- Exclusion of all officials with a russian or belarussion nationality
- Stop of Collaboration with the KHL
applause-standing.gif

DannyGallivan

Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
I think a lot of Russians who were neutral or supported Putin including members of military never expected him to go this far: it’s complete insanity at this point
Probably. So now it's time to use their stage and retract all support and demand an end to the invasion like the brave protesters are doing in the Russian streets.

Reactions: THE JAM

kp61c

Apr 3, 2012
separate civilization

Putin's clique and their relatives and retinue all live and hold their assets in the western countries. You should look in the mirror before giving me a free advice.

Last edited:
Reactions: DoyleG

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
There are plenty of people I feel sorry for, that group is pretty far down the list.

What about the thousands of actual brave Russians who took to the streets t0 protest, many of whom were arrested. That is actual bravery. Then there are the Ukrainian men who actually gained asylum in Poland, but crossed back into the Ukraine to risk their lives to fight. I feel for those groups.

This doesn't need to be a binary choice about who we can empathize with. Of course what the Ukranians are experiencing is on a completely different scale.

DannyGallivan

Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
You are in no position to lecture me when putin's clique lives in your countries like kings absolutely scot-free.
1. You come in these forums, be prepared to be lectured whether you like it or not.
2. I wasn't even lecturing you. I was referring specifically to Russian hockey players who may be afraid that their family members living in Russia may fear reprisals if the Russian hockey players speak out against the invasion (as should be their moral obligation).
3. If we are to believe the news, any Putin cliques are supposedly being hit in the bank account as we type this. However, you are welcome to send the names of Putin cliques living free in Canada c/o Justin Trudeau, Ottawa, and I'm sure he'll look into it.
4. There may come a time when lecturing you may suit me... be prepared.
5. I was responding to the poster called DueDiligence. Your post was unintentionally included, but I wasn't responding to it.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Hasek is on crack.

Like I previously posted, if the NHL did this it would be completely illegal in violation of employment civil rights laws.

The US and Canadian govt’s don’t have to grant them work permits and they can be revoked anytime by said governments.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad