WC: 2022 IIHF World Championship Finland (Russia and Belarus tossed out) No Politics

Status
Not open for further replies.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I don't think that would be a just decision. For example, what about someone like Panarin who is on the outs with the current regime?

Don't get me wrong, I completely get Hasek's reasons for his opinion as he grew up behind the iron curtain, and had opportunities denied by the USSR and this attempt at expansions must horrify him. But, I don't think you should start blindly punishing Russian citizens in the USA unless they have clear ties to the Kremlin.

THE JAM

Jan 16, 2015
EU
Each russian player should state clearly where he stands regarding this attack on UKR / whether they support that maniac putin/putler or not.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
It would be unwise to collectively punish all Russian NHL players as just by playing for foreign club teams they are not really supporting Putin or Russia and at least Panarin has certainly made it clear for everyone that he does not support Putin. However, the lack of criticism for someone like Ovechkin among Capitals fans is shocking considering his long and storied friendship and support for Putin. It's also amusing considering how adamant NHL teams have been on virtue signaling and promoting social causes in these past few years but I suppose all that stops mattering when it's about your scoring leader.

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

pabst blue ribbon

🇺🇦🤝🇵🇱
Oct 26, 2015
PG
I don't think that any Russian (or any athlete) should have to be put on the spot for his governments actions unless they willingly/actively acted as a spokesperson/propaganda tool of said government in meaningful ways

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Each russian player should state clearly where he stands regarding this attack on UKR / whether they support that maniac putin/putler or not.
I can’t imagine any sane Russian would support this decision. I am absolutely stunned and embarrassed by what happened

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I don't think that any Russian (or any athlete) should have to be put on the spot for his governments actions unless they willingly/actively acted as a spokesperson/propaganda tool of said government in meaningful ways
I agree. Posters have no idea what goes on back in Russia.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Moving the 2023 World Juniors should be easy. Assuming Covid does not rear its ugly head, Hockey Canada can hold it somewhere on short notice and sell tickets.

Moving the 2023 World Championships will be less easy but it needs to be done. Not sure where. But, again, Canada certainly could do it in a pinch.

Reactions: jj cale

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin

This is illegal in the US. The NHL cannot demand this. Labor laws prohibit treating anybody differently based on race, ethnicity, or national origin.

But even in the court of public opinion, it's going down a very slippery slope. What's next, do we call out Jewish/Israeli players? A future player from China? Every American players after another questionable 'war on terror'?

Reactions: TheDevilMadeMe

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Hasek is on crack.

Like I previously posted, if the NHL did this it would be completely illegal.
The invasion hits close to home, it's opening up old wounds and, as a result, Hasek is over reacting / not thinking his comments through.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
One positive :

The world's reaction to the Ukraine invasion will discourage other bad actors from doing something similar.

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
It hits close to home, it's opening up old wounds and, as a result, Hasek is over reacting.

Probably, but he's still a shifty hypocrite.

He had no problem with Putin when he was getting paid to play in the KHL, a league that is basically a pet project of Putin/Russian government.

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
Relegate Russia and Belarus to that lowest division where they can play against Mexico and Australia or whatever countries there are but they can't start even there before they have rejoined the civilized world.

Totally racist and stupid vision.

Belarus and Russia belong to another cultural area with a different matrix.

They are no less civilized.

Little reminder: the U.S.A did exactly the same thing as the Russians in Iraq in 2003. There was no sanction against the American federations in the world of sport.

I have the impression that we are going to go during this century towards a dislocation of sports competitions.

Taking the decision to banish Russia and Belarus is to expose oneself to a widening of scenarios.

This will give an argument to Muslim countries to refuse to play against Israel, to Cyprus or Armenia to refuse to play against Turkey, etc.

This is not the right path.

In 50 years, there will probably be no more world championships. Each civilizational block will organize its competition on its side
because these same arguments emerge more and more often (ex : China does not deserve to organize the Olympic Games for not respecting human rights). Western culture must learn to understand other cultures and stop making value judgments. Especially since Western culture is absolutely not beyond reproach.

Last edited:
Reactions: BMacLeafs

kp61c

Apr 3, 2012
separate civilization
Then said players should stand up and demand change to their political leaders!
their hockey careers in russia will be over. in fact, they will be pariahs with no prospects to speak of in their lives in general. your demands are a bit naive.

Last edited:

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Probably, but he's still a shifty hypocrite.

He had no problem with Putin when he was getting paid to play in the KHL, a league that is basically a pet project of Putin/Russian government.
Fair enough.

Gotaf7

Nov 6, 2011
their hockey careers in russia will be over. in fact, they will be pariahs with no prospects to speak of in their lives in general. your demands are a bit naive.
The people of Ukraine say hey!

Reactions: Jussi

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
Moving the 2023 World Juniors should be easy. Assuming Covid does not rear its ugly head, Hockey Canada can hold it somewhere on short notice and sell tickets.

Moving the 2023 World Championships will be less easy but it needs to be done. Not sure where. But, again, Canada certainly could do it in a pinch.
I don't consider moving the 2023 World Championship any harder than moving the WJC and I am confident it's going to be announced tomorrow that both are moved. Should they want to host, an obvious host pick would be Switzerland considering that they lost their home tournament in 2020 because of the pandemic.

Reactions: Jussi

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
I feel for Russian NHL players who's families at home live under the iron fist of an authoritarian dictatorship. I would imagine some want to speak out, but are scared to do so.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I don't consider moving the 2023 World Championship any harder than moving the WJC and I am confident it's going to be announced tomorrow that both are moved. Should they want to host, an obvious host pick would be Switzerland considering that they lost their home tournament in 2020 because of the pandemic.
That works.

I just hope the Maritimes (or some small Canadian market) gets the 2023 World Juniors - have an old fashioned World Juniors.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
But if they come out against Putin they risk reprisals against any of their family in Russia. Not a great spot to be in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad