WC: 2022 IIHF World Championship Finland (Russia and Belarus tossed out) No Politics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
That's an interesting question, isn't it? Suppose they are excluded for some amount of time, do they go to the end of the queue when they're admitted back, only to play Singapore or the Philippines in Div IV? Working their way back up over the following years? From a sports point of view that wouldn't make sense but could you simply slot them back into the top division as though they never left? Surely you couldn't deny the Div II winner the promotion. A lopsided tournament then with an extra relegation?
I don't think that will happen but something similar happened to Slovakia when they got their independence. Czechs went to A pool (which is what I think would happen with Russia) and Slovaks got sent to Divsion Z. It was brutal and unfair!

Reactions: Zamboni Parade

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Looks like there will be a venue change with Hartwall Arena becoming a "arena non grata" of sorts. I wouldn't be surprised if Turku will be the new second venue.

Husqvarna

Jan 5, 2019
Book my tickets today

got a return for £140 London to helsinki. I could have gotten it for £80 from ryanair--but I do not trust or like ryanair. A few buddies flew ryanair and they got screwed over by some silly rules.

And those >play Playstations players game in Canda/US of A . The Worldchampionships in Finland is the real deal.

Even if someone in Toronto, and the likes, doesn't think so ....

Last edited:

Husqvarna

Jan 5, 2019
Finland for gold again ... even if everybody, I mean everybody, means Canada is on top of the hockey-world.

No.

Canada.

Yes.

Finland.

Finland will kick to kill, again

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
You always hear about that 2005 Junior team but not enough people talk about the 2015 Skoda Cup team.. that team was unreal.... just demolished everyone and it looked a bit like a Jr Tourney with Canada just running over people.

View attachment 510719
It was a doozy of a team for sure, dominant. I knew something special was up when it came out that Crosby was joining the team and had actually phoned the management team telling them he badly wanted to play this time( I doubt they had even thought of approaching him about involvement, you know how it goes with Canadian stars of his stature for the skodas, and not even of his stature, just good players, they play once, maybe twice if you are lucky at the very start of their career and then they never play in it again.

When a guy like him does something like that, it carries weight and more big players go, it just steamrolled from there, what a team that ended up being, surely one of the best the WHC has ever seen.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Finland for gold again ... even if everybody, I mean everybody, means Canada is on top of the hockey-world.

No.

Canada.

Yes.

Finland.

Finland will kick to kill, again

It's time for round 3 I'd say, you guys all fired up after winning olympic gold, Canada wanting to repeat after beating you last WHC,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,let's have at it.

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
Looks like there will be a venue change with Hartwall Arena becoming a "arena non grata" of sorts. I wouldn't be surprised if Turku will be the new second venue.
Think the Helsinki Ice Hall would be the most likely replacement, especially since Russian fans won't be arriving anyway so the capacity difference is not that meaningful.

Reactions: JabbaJabba

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
It was a doozy of a team for sure, dominant. I knew something special was up when it came out that Crosby was joining the team and had actually phoned the management team telling them he badly wanted to play this time( I doubt they had even thought of approaching him about involvement, you know how it goes with Canadian stars of his stature for the skodas, and not even of his stature, just good players, they play once, maybe twice if you are lucky at the very start of their career and then they never play in it again.

When a guy like him does something like that, it carries weight and more big players go, it just steamrolled from there, what a team that ended up being, surely one of the best the WHC has ever seen.
That performance was up there with Soviet level domination in the 70's.

MacK, Crosby, Hall, Sequin, Couts... and man did they play good.

upload_2022-2-26_11-19-57.png

plus 35 after round robin.lol

Won the quarters 9-0
semis was their only close game 2-0
Finals were 6-1

17 goals for and 1 goal against in the playoffs.

Makes the total tournament +51.

Reactions: NyQuil and jj cale

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
That performance was up there with Soviet level domination in the 70's.

MacK, Crosby, Hall, Sequin, Couts... and man did they play good.

View attachment 510729

plus 35 after round robin.lol

Won the quarters 9-0
semis was their only close game 2-0
Finals were 6-1

17 goals for and 1 goal against in the playoffs.

Makes the total tournament +51.
What's the news about Jiricek right now? I have to assume he will be playing at this WHC for you guys right? that is......if there is a tournament at all considering the possible ramifications of what is happening right now.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I fear that most North American players will skip it, due to what's going on in Eastern Europe.

when you see where some of the games are supposed to be playing? I will be spending most of my time in Helsinki--but due to the current situation I am thinking about not going--been in war zones before(i do mean real war zones Bosnian conflict) and I do not want to do through that again

Lartsaman

Aug 2, 2018
Finland
when you see where some of the games are supposed to be playing? I will be spending most of my time in Helsinki--but due to the current situation I am thinking about not going--been in war zones before(i do mean real war zones Bosnian conflict) and I do not want to do through that again

Helsinki is not yet a war zone . :D

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
What's the news about Jiricek right now? I have to assume he will be playing at this WHC for you guys right? that is......if there is a tournament at all considering the possible ramifications of what is happening right now.
He's still out. I think he'll be back soon but hopefully no one rushes him. Hopefully he gets drafted early and goes to AHL next season.

Ideally he would've been 7th D on our Olympic team and on the WC team but now I'm not so sure. Czechs need to do a rebuild and put the focus on younger guys.. even if they lose, they can improve their players and maybe even raise the stock of a few guys and get them to NHL. Not many of my heroes do I want to see on the team at World's anymore... a decade of losing .. let's have some other guys lose and maybe surprise in all our adversity. In a perfect world.. a guy like Krejci and surround him with mostly younger players.

But you're right... there might not even be a tourney. Curious what it looks like in a month.

Reactions: jj cale

Puck Dogg

Puck life
Mar 13, 2006
IF the Russian do play---it will be a political nightmare on the streets

There's no way Russia will be competing this springs' IIHF World Championships. The tournament would lose all of its sponsors and what TV company would want to broadcast the teams games or who would want to watch their team aside Russians?

The exclusion of Russia won't be matter of few months. Its likely we are looking into long term ban from all international sporting events.

Reactions: William H Bonney

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
Russia and Belarus won't be there - it would be totally unthinkable. Maybe Ukraine could be invited to participate?
They are scheduled to compete in Division 1 Group B. If Russia and Belarus are replaced instead of just limiting the tournament to 14 teams, the replacement teams would in all likelihood be France and Austria as they are the highest-ranking teams outside the elite division and also the teams which appeared most recently in the elite division.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Think the Helsinki Ice Hall would be the most likely replacement, especially since Russian fans won't be arriving anyway so the capacity difference is not that meaningful.
Huh, why?

This should be played in Tampere. The most beautiful city in Finland - far more beautiful than Helsinki - and also the best arena. There should be no doubt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad