WC: 2022 IIHF World Championship Finland (Russia and Belarus tossed out) No Politics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puck Dogg

Puck life
Mar 13, 2006
What does it even matter? Both look ugly but they still work just fine. Turku arena is still in the wrong city.

Are you perhaps talking about the old Turku arena? The new Turku arena (named Gatorade Center) holds about 12,000 people and is quite modern.

Below pics inside the arena:

Google Maps

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
IIHF has meeting monday. There is speculation that France has already been told that they will be replacing Russia unless things change right away and that the Swiss are now prepping to host the 2023 games. The problem is also Belarus as they are aiding Russia in their current altercation. Does the IIHF toss out both for this year?

Obviously this is one of those topics where we need to talk just about the hockey side of things.

Removing the Russian team is on the same level as removing the Canadian team. Lot of Russians are planning to attend games in Helsinki. Will the move game to the other side of Finland? Like many, I am flying into Helsinki for the games--so tossing on a train trip all of a sudden is annoying and adds cost.

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
IIHF has meeting monday. There is speculation that France has already been told that they will be replacing Russia unless things change right away and that the Swiss are now prepping to host the 2023 games. The problem is also Belarus as they are aiding Russia in their current altercation. Does the IIHF toss out both for this year?

Obviously this is one of those topics where we need to talk just about the hockey side of things.

Removing the Russian team is on the same level as removing the Canadian team. Lot of Russians are planning to attend games in Helsinki. Will the move game to the other side of Finland? Like many, I am flying into Helsinki for the games--so tossing on a train trip all of a sudden is annoying and adds cost.
I'm curious how would this work for lower divisions and promotion/relegation. Would Division 1A then be played with four teams or would the two highest-ranking teams of 1B also be right away promoted to 1A and so forth? The earliest of the World Championship tournaments, Division IV, already starts on Thursday.

cg98

Oct 10, 2017

Euro countries have implemented travel bans from Russia into their territory, including Finland. If the status quo remains by then, Russians won't be allowed into Finland period.

kp61c

Apr 3, 2012
separate civilization
... and NHL will not care.
The rabid supporters like Ovechkin should be held accountable, maybe even those who dont get out of their way to support a crazy dictator but still support him, like Malkin. Why punishing Panarin though? The guy liked some post about protests organized by Navalny team and suddenly his former coach (who is a vocal putin supprter to the point of being constantly ridiculed for it by hockey fans) accuses him of rape and the woke NHL immediatly suspends him. No, that would be moronic

DoyleG

Reality sucks, Princesses!
Dec 29, 2008
YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB

With the SWIFT sanctions coming into place, the Russian fans won't likely be able to attend. No to mention that the RUB is expected to crash once the markets open up (Asia opens this afternoon).

Belarus faces the same problems, but much more acute as they are essentially tied to the Russian economy.

EDIT: Showing how bad things have gotten for the Russian economy.

The RUB was trading in the 85-95 range at the start of the conflict. Its now worthless and the Russians can't prop it up.

Last edited:

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
It will be interesting if both Russia(roc) and Belarus got tossed out of the event this year. On top of those two countries-- Kasakhstan has also been causing trouble--so this could be interesting shortly
Kazakhstan has explicitly refused to join Russia on its campaign so their participation should be safe unless circumstances radically change.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
In German:
News

There seems to be a request from the Swiss and several other (in this article unnamed) federations which propose the following:

- Immediate exclusion from Russia and Belarus from the IIHF
- New hosts for WJC 2022 and WC 2023
- Exclusion of all officials with a russian or belarussion nationality
- Stop of Collaboration with the KHL

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
In German:
News

There seems to be a request from the Swiss and several other (in this article unnamed) federations which propose the following:

Fantastic initiative! :thumbu: May well be fueled by the need to distance themselves as much as possible from Fasel, who's an embarrassment for Swiss/international hockey.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
In German:
News

Switzerland and Latvia, and I think Lithuania were calling for kicking Russian and Belarus out of IIHF.

As I was saying, people who thought sports should continue as usual probably did not(or still don't) understand the significance of this. Perhaps in time.

By the way, this "no politics" stuff is pretty ridiculous here. This is not about a political opinion like abortion rights or whether the tax percentage should be 12% or 10%. You're kidding yourselves if you think this is not relevant to international hockey and somehow off topic.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Switzerland and Latvia, and I think Lithuania were calling for kicking Russian and Belarus out of IIHF.

As I was saying, people who thought sports should continue as usual probably did not(or still don't) understand the significance of this. Perhaps in time.

By the way, this "no politics" stuff is pretty ridiculous here. This is not about a political opinion like abortion rights or whether the tax percentage should be 12% or 10%. You're kidding yourselves if you think this is not relevant to international hockey and somehow off topic.

They should make a clear distinction between "politics" and "world events", which I've suggested them doing for ages. A World Events board where you discuss things like the volcano eruption in Tonga, or what's going on in Ukraine.

Reactions: Seedtype

north21

May 1, 2014
MN
Pretty lame to punish innocent hockey payers for the actions of their home countries politicians.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad