WC: 2022 IIHF World Championship Finland (Russia and Belarus tossed out) No Politics

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Interesting.

France thought they were going to Finland. My buddies with French delegation are now saying Roc and Belarus will be relagated and the two teams who win the qualifications in April get added next year.

Unless it changes the Swiss get 2023

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
I thought the new guy at the head of FIFA isn't as corrupt as Blatter was but perhaps I thought wrong or why did they hesitate to ban Russia? Russia isn't a big deal in football.

They may not be a big deal in terms of their country having success as an individual team in soccer but I think that FIFA loved the growth of soccer as a sport in Russia and Russia just hosted that World Cup of soccer recently and banning them from soccer now for many years will certainly affect that growth. So if FIFA banned Russia from soccer then FIFA's investment of letting Russia host that World Cup in some ways would go down the drain. I'm also aware that Russia possibly got to host that World Cup via corruption but I think that FIFA also wanted soccer to grow in Russia despite of that.

Last edited:

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Instead, just add a big visible note of disapproval (and maybe a personal infraction to the poster) in the inappropriate post, so that 1) we know it crossed a line, and 2) the bad post serves as a handy example of what not to do here. This is more helpful keeping the forum good for all and well behaved.

I mean, I actually wouldn't have noticed the deletion if Mestaruus didn't mention it, and I still don't know for sure why exactly it was deleted. Off topic? Insensitive? Poor grammar? Or what?

If you don't understand why the posts were deleted, you need to revisit the site rules that you have accepted when you signed up for this forum. From site rule number 4: "Political discussion is not permitted on the forums except within the narrowly defined scope of hockey-related matters." It's even in the title of this thread: "2022 IIHF World Championship Finland (Russia and Belarus tossed out) No Politics"

Finnish neutrality and NATO status go well beyond the scope of hockey-related matters.

Maybe it's just better to stop posting on this forum if there is no freedom of speech here.

Freedom of speech means the government doesn't punish you for something you publish. It doesn't mean an internet platform is not allowed to delete your posts if they go against the site rules you have signed up to.

It may have gone a bit on the off topic side, but you know we spend some minutes writing these things.

If you want to continue the conversation you guys have had via private message among each other, I will provide your deleted posts so that you didn't spend the time writing it in vain.

Puck Dogg

Puck life
Mar 13, 2006
i guess this means france and slovenia is in. i hope for poland

That or the relegated teams remain. They should maybe arrange qualification matches as I think the division 1A has been last played in 2019 due the pandemic.

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
If you don't understand why the posts were deleted, you need to revisit the site rules that you have accepted when you signed up for this forum. From site rule number 4: "Political discussion is not permitted on the forums except within the narrowly defined scope of hockey-related matters." It's even in the title of this thread: "2022 IIHF World Championship Finland (Russia and Belarus tossed out) No Politics"

Finnish neutrality and NATO status go well beyond the scope of hockey-related matters.

Freedom of speech means the government doesn't punish you for something you publish. It doesn't mean an internet platform is not allowed to delete your posts if they go against the site rules you have signed up to.

If you want to continue the conversation you guys have had via private message among each other, I will provide your deleted posts so that you didn't spend the time writing it in vain.

Hey, at least there were no party politics.

Theokritos, can't you just blurb the deleted posts here? The PM function is broken half the time. (Could be just everyone's Adblock but what do you know.)

Reactions: Mestaruus

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.

I wouldn't dare to argue.

But someone started. Maybe it was going off topic to begin with and we helped steer it... if not back to the thread's good topical convo, at least back to sanity.

One for all, and all for hockey, I say.

Reactions: Mestaruus

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011

Let me ask you something. Isn't the thread title really about politics? When Russia and Belarus got thrown out of IIHF and we ask why? The answer is either because of politics or because they declared a war on Ukraine. War is declared because of politics. The rules say that politics aren't allowed on this forum, so you see the dilemma. Why do you let this thread to continue?

If we can't talk about politics in a thread that is about politics, what are we supposed to talk about? Everyone is only supposed to say in this thread if they agree or disagree with the decision of them being "tossed out"? Is that it?

Reactions: THE JAM and Svedu

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
The PM function is broken half the time. (Could be just everyone's Adblock but what do you know.)

Nah you have some privacy setting on. I noticed it when I tried to PM to you earlier today. I was able to sent a PM to another person, but not to you. Better check your settings on HFboards or you won't ever be able to receive private messages.

Northofyu

Nov 12, 2018
In answer to what someone posed earlier about it being unfair to individual athletes - probably yes, but in the grand scheme of things these days - not really that bad.

National Teams however, should be excluded, as they have been for the most part.

Although I find it amusing that it's the IOC telling/requesting other sports organizations to do what they have been reluctant to do - albeit the issues today are much bigger and more tragic.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
If we can't talk about politics in a thread that is about politics, what are we supposed to talk about?

I acknowledge it's not always easy. But take a look at the posts in this thread that are not deleted if you want to know what goes.

member 305909

All hockey-fans know that international hockey just isn't the same without Russia in it. Therefore the current situation is very regrettable.

However, the reasons why Russia has been banned go far beyond hockey. Russia is fully welcome back when they have rejoined the club of civilized nations.

As for Belarus: they can go away and stay away. They won't be missed.

Reactions: Voight

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
I would be very interested to hear the point of view of our Russian and Belorussian posters, even if that breaks the no-politics rule.

This might be one of very few venues that could cross the informational divide, at least as it pertains to the politics surrounding international hockey.

I think World events are about to overtake us all, if they have not done so already. Frankly, the World is at the brink of the unthinkable and it would do us all well just to talk about it.

With respect, this is no longer business as usual.

Reactions: JabbaJabba

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
How is this different or worse than Hungary 1956, Czechoslovakia 1968 or war in Afghanistan.
For one thing, Russia has put its nuclear weapons on high alert. That's different.

It puts the World at the edge of a nuclear war, which is very worrisome.

VVP

Oct 7, 2017
I would be very interested to hear the point of view of our Russian and Belorussian posters, even if that breaks the no-politics rule.

This might be one of very few venues that could cross the informational divide, at least as it pertains to the politics surrounding international hockey.

I think World events are about to overtake us all, if they have not done so already. Frankly, the World is at the brink of the unthinkable and it would do us all well just to talk about it.

I addressed it in the Russia board but yesterday I scanned one large Russian hockey site with the comments and mainly people don't care, some are actually very positive that they think the MHL will get attention it deserves and as such there may be a better development for prospects.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia

Not sure that is a good idea, I can think of 3 posters from there who would get this thread locked down within a few minutes, the back and forth dialogue wouldn't really be dialogue, it would become a misinformation and insult fest right away.

The old adage be careful what you ask for you just might get it applies here. You are talking about folks who have been vocal on this site about Russian players being forcibly by law made to stay in Russia until X amount of years, as if they are mere chattel to the state and not free human beings.

Seeing as freedom is what is at stake here right now in the current events, having them weigh in would end up being a sour experience right now.

If it could be kept to the reasonable ones then It would be great to hear their thoughts,it's not likely to be however.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ciao
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad