WC: 2022 IIHF World Championship Finland (Russia and Belarus tossed out) No Politics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fjorden

Jan 17, 2021
Bergen, Norway
www.bergenishockey.no
Why is group B so much stronger than group A?

Easiest group ever for Canada.
Group B looks much stronger.

Group A and IIhf ranking---------------------Group B and IIHF ranking
Canada(2)-------------------------------------Finland(1)
Slovakia(5)------------------------------------USA(3)
Germany(6)-----------------------------------Sweden(4)
Switzerland(8)--------------------------------Czech Republic(7)
Denmark(9)-----------------------------------Latvia(10)
Kazakhstan(12)-------------------------------Norway(11)
Italy(13)---------------------------------------GB(16)

(iihf ranking with RUS AND BLR removed after 2022 olympics)

THey should swap Sweden-Germany and/or Slovakia-USA to make it more even

Last edited:

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Why is group B so much stronger than group A?

Easiest group ever for Canada.
Group B looks much stronger.

Group A and IIhf ranking---------------------Group B and IIHF ranking
Canada(2)-------------------------------------Finland(1)
Slovakia(5)------------------------------------USA(3)
Germany(6)-----------------------------------Sweden(4)
Switzerland(8)--------------------------------Czech Republic(7)
Denmark(9)-----------------------------------Latvia(10)
Kazakhstan(12)-------------------------------Norway(11)
Italy(13)---------------------------------------GB(16)

(iihf ranking with RUS AND BLR removed after 2022 olympics)

THey should swap Sweden-Germany and/or Slovakia-USA to make it more even
A team that could have contender is now gone, and fewer contenders makes it more possible for lopsided groups. It's not really a big deal. Add one certain unsavoury element to Group A and it looks less lopsided.

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
Sweden disappointing last year was the key to uneven groups. Russia's expulsion made it worse. Russia and USA were swapped places as organizers hoped to get lots of Russian fans and make it fan-wise top team in Helsinki group.

Fjorden

Jan 17, 2021
Bergen, Norway
www.bergenishockey.no
A team that could have contender is now gone, and fewer contenders makes it more possible for lopsided groups. It's not really a big deal. Add one certain unsavoury element to Group A and it looks less lopsided.
In group B the four top spots are almost locked with Finland, Sweden, USA and Czech. I'll consider all those four teams a contender for the wc title.

Group A is very open from 2-6 behind Canada. Could be either of Slovakia, Switzerland, Denmark and Kazakhstan. Canada is he only contender for the wc title in this group.

From a norwegian perspective I would have taken Slovakia and Germany any day instead of USA and Sweden. Slovakia and Germany is not at the same as level as Sweden and USA, not even close.

Reactions: Mestaruus

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Interesting. Good choice and I would've been fine if Slovakia got selected instead of them as well.

I wonder if they'll take turns next season attending the EHT tournaments? Switzerland maybe host the Russian tournament? Slovakia takes part in the Finnish and Czech tournaments and Switzerland hosts one and takes part in the Swedish one?

Reactions: Mestaruus

garbageteam

Jan 7, 2010
So has it been confirmed they will not replace Russia/Belarus and just go with 14 teams this time around?

Fjorden

Jan 17, 2021
Bergen, Norway
www.bergenishockey.no
How so? Germany have done better than Sweden 2 last WC and Slovakia crushed us in the bronze game recently.
Based on the player material and the depth swedish hockey has, Sweden should be better.

Germany and Slovakia can have "lucky punch" and a deep run sometimes in tournaments, but in the long run they don't have nearly the same depth as Sweden.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
I addressed it in the Russia board but yesterday I scanned one large Russian hockey site with the comments and mainly people don't care, some are actually very positive that they think the MHL will get attention it deserves and as such there may be a better development for prospects.

The loneliest place in the World has been an MHL game. The league has not been adequately promoted and developed, and there are a lack of emotional rivalries to build interest. Very little publicity, name recognition, etc. Nothing like they have in the CHL in Canada.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
I addressed it in the Russia board but yesterday I scanned one large Russian hockey site with the comments and mainly people don't care, some are actually very positive that they think the MHL will get attention it deserves and as such there may be a better development for prospects.

The loneliest place in the World has been an MHL game. Very little has been done to promote and develop the league, and there is a lack of emotional rivalries to build fan interest around. Very little publicity, name recognition, etc. Nothing comparable to the CHL in Canada.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
I wonder if they'll take turns next season attending the EHT tournaments? Switzerland maybe host the Russian tournament? Slovakia takes part in the Finnish and Czech tournaments and Switzerland hosts one and takes part in the Swedish one?

Yeah I think I read something like it that they might do that but that was some weeks back and who knows if the plan has changed by now. We'll see.

garbageteam

Jan 7, 2010
Interesting changes especially down to the Div 1 level. You could see a host of very unusual teams making it to the Championship in 2023 since two of the strongest teams are no longer in play. Slovenia and Korea are the favorites to rejoin, but you could say Romania, Hungary or Lithuania (for the first time?) also have a real shot at squeaking into the second slot.

I really wonder how things will go if/when ROC and Belarus are re-inserted? Does someone who had qualified into the Elite division get bumped off? Do they start themselves back at Division III (or even IV, where we would see lopsided scores the likes you could not even have imagined if China played NHLers).

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Interesting changes especially down to the Div 1 level. You could see a host of very unusual teams making it to the Championship in 2023 since two of the strongest teams are no longer in play. Slovenia and Korea are the favorites to rejoin, but you could say Romania, Hungary or Lithuania (for the first time?) also have a real shot at squeaking into the second slot.

I really wonder how things will go if/when ROC and Belarus are re-inserted? Does someone who had qualified into the Elite division get bumped off? Do they start themselves back at Division III (or even IV, where we would see lopsided scores the likes you could not even have imagined if China played NHLers).
how is korea favorites? their imports are gone. hungary is much stronger than korea

garbageteam

Jan 7, 2010
how is korea favorites? their imports are gone. hungary is much stronger than korea

Last time they played each other in 2019 Korea won 5-1 and placed third in the group with 9 points, just missing promotion by one point, while Hungary placed 5th, just narrowly missing relegation due to Head to Head with Lithuania. I'm not so sure they are "much stronger". That game between Korea and Hungary, all five goals were scored by domestic Korean players too. Korea also beat Slovenia and Belarus that tournament with all of the goal scorers also being Korean.

Not that things wouldn't have markedly changed over three years but I think they're only weaker in losing Dalton, from what I can see their 2019 roster only has two imports as skaters (defensemen). So maybe instead of winning 5-1 they would have won 5-4 without him in 2019. I don't think Hungary developed a bunch of new prospects since then or become significantly stronger.

In any case, I do think Div 1A is wide open and as interesting as it has ever been. Hell even Slovenia could shit the bed a couple of games, they haven't been knocking it out of the park with their hockey development program. It would be cool to see Lithuania be promoted for the first time ever, or Romania for the first time since 1977.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Korea never really relied on imports all that much with the exception of Dalton, the main problem without the Canadians to me is that their team is a whole lot less physical which may not be ideal for a tournament where every point matters.

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
Are there any changes in the grouping now? Group B is significantly stronger. I don't think that's okay. France is not a substitute for Russia. Austria instead of Belarus is still justifiable

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
I'm looking forward to the best World Hockey Championships in a decade or more. I hope Team Canada jerseys display 🇺🇦 proudly.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Everyone not named Russia or Belarus.

It sounds like it was a money thing. Tickets were sold and the IIHF like most places do not like giving money back.

We should start hearing in the next week or so players from non playoff teams agreeing to go via back channels.

Should be interesting who says no and who says yes.

I am supposed to fly to Helsinki but that is just way too close to Russia for me right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad