WC: 2022 IIHF World Championship Finland (Russia and Belarus tossed out) No Politics

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
Sorry. You do not have all the info.

The IIHF has a standing offer to the NHL to host the games every 4 years and move the games to late August into September. DELAYING ALL EUROPEAN LEAGUES. the hang up? NHL WANTS COMPLETE CONTROL of everything including which teams play, getting all the profits and excluding the IIHF in any way shape or form of what they stand for

The problem is not the IIHF the problem is the nhl is greedy
Can you cite this?

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
What failing? How often do you go to the games?

That the iihf world championships have never had a tournament where each team has had its best healthy players there (if someone wants to argue the 2005 tournament as a single exception then I can accept that) is a failing. I've been to two IIHF WJC tournaments but never the IIHF world championships. I would like to go, but the IIHF has only hosted it in Canada or USA once each, which in and of itself is another failing. And yes, I know that the NHL schedule is an obstacle to the tournament being in either country.

Reactions: BMacLeafs

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
Actually, it's come out that that was more on Fasel:

Fasel has since his retirement from the IIHF come out as a major sycophant for Russia and Putin. Though he didn't exactly hide it while he was there.

That's a little disingenuous though. The IIHF/Fasel did nothing while the NHL was poaching the Russian leagues with impunity for most of the 1990's.
The Radulov situation finally put the NHL on notice that these actions could be reciprocated.
Sure the NHL was pissed off, but the end result was good for hockey. It forced the MOU between the NHL and KHL, and resulted in the IIHF implementing more strict and uniform transfer policies.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
That's a little disingenuous though. The IIHF/Fasel did nothing while the NHL was poaching the Russian leagues with impunity for most of the 1990's.
The Radulov situation finally put the NHL on notice that these actions could be reciprocated.
Sure the NHL was pissed off, but the end result was good for hockey. It forced the MOU between the NHL and KHL, and resulted in the IIHF implementing more strict and uniform transfer policies.

They had a transfer agreement, Russia didn't renew it after KHL birth.

Reactions: jj cale

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
They had a transfer agreement, Russia didn't renew it after KHL birth.

That's incorrect. That transfer agreement was not renewed years before the KHL's formation, precisely because the Russians accused the NHL of failing to respect it.

The NHL is not under the umbrella of the IIHF, hence there was never any punishment for the NHL for violating transfer agreements they were party to.
The only thing keeping the NHL from further poaching was reciprocal poaching. This is why the Radulov situation was significant. It stopped the NHL in its tracks from poaching other leagues, and led to a more uniform and strict IIHF transfer system. For example any player in breech his/her contract is now suspended from IIHF competitions.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
That's incorrect. That transfer agreement was not renewed years before the KHL's formation, precisely because the Russians accused the NHL of failing to respect it.

The NHL is not under the umbrella of the IIHF, hence there was never any punishment for the NHL for violating transfer agreements they were party to.
The only thing keeping the NHL from further poaching was reciprocal poaching. This is why the Radulov situation was significant. It stopped the NHL in its tracks from poaching other leagues, and led to a more uniform and strict IIHF transfer system. For example any player in breech his/her contract is now suspended from IIHF competitions.

That is incorrect, transfer agreements were already in place. There used to be uniform one but then some federations decided to opt out. They then did the math (like Sweden) and noticed they lost out on more money by not having an agreement than by having one. Thus each began to sign one (they ended up being the same ones for each). Russia didn't sing one out of pure arrogance and stupidity. Now they lose the players for free.

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
That is incorrect, transfer agreements were already in place. There used to be uniform one but then some federations decided to opt out. They then did the math (like Sweden) and noticed they lost out on more money by not having an agreement than by having one. Thus each began to sign one (they ended up being the same ones for each). Russia didn't sing one out of pure arrogance and stupidity. Now they lose the players for free.

Of course transfer agreements have been in place. But my point is regarding uniformity in enforcement and compliance to these transfer agreements and MOUs.
The Radulov situation forced everybody to abide going forward. And the IIHF had a good part in helping this.
Case in point, there has been essentially no poaching or even disagreements between leagues regarding contracts for the past 10 years. Under Fasel's leadership, anybody breaking a contract can not participate in IIHF events.
Everybody is on the same page now.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
That the iihf world championships have never had a tournament where each team has had its best healthy players there (if someone wants to argue the 2005 tournament as a single exception then I can accept that) is a failing. I've been to two IIHF WJC tournaments but never the IIHF world championships. I would like to go, but the IIHF has only hosted it in Canada or USA once each, which in and of itself is another failing. And yes, I know that the NHL schedule is an obstacle to the tournament being in either country.

There is more to the games than what is on the ice

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Of course transfer agreements have been in place. But my point is regarding uniformity in enforcement and compliance to these transfer agreements and MOUs.
The Radulov situation forced everybody to abide going forward. And the IIHF had a good part in helping this.
Case in point, there has been essentially no poaching or even disagreements between leagues regarding contracts for the past 10 years. Under Fasel's leadership, anybody breaking a contract can not participate in IIHF events.
Everybody is on the same page now.

IF Kummola was in charge, Radulov wouldn't have been allowed to play in the KHL AND there still would've been transfer agreements in place. IIHF had no influence on the latter because it was the leagues who were proactive on that due to the reasons I mentioned.

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
What does the grouping actually look like? Group B is much stronger at the moment.

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
IF Kummola was in charge, Radulov wouldn't have been allowed to play in the KHL AND there still would've been transfer agreements in place. IIHF had no influence on the latter because it was the leagues who were proactive on that due to the reasons I mentioned.

Radulov wouldve played in the KHL regardless of who was in charge. The IIHF president had no authority to stop him; there was no transfer agreement or MOU in place.
Just like the IIHF had no authority to stop the NHL from stealing ex-Soviet players even when both sides had a transfer agreement. The NHL is not under the umbrella of the IIHF. There was no punishment for the NHL for doing as such.
Again, because of Radulov, all sides agreed to respect contracts (transfer agreements in place or not). The IIHF under Fasel was instrumental in brokering this new era of respect for contracts.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Radulov wouldve played in the KHL regardless of who was in charge. The IIHF president had no authority to stop him; there was no transfer agreement or MOU in place.
Just like the IIHF had no authority to stop the NHL from stealing ex-Soviet players even when both sides had a transfer agreement. The NHL is not under the umbrella of the IIHF. There was no punishment for the NHL for doing as such.
Again, because of Radulov, all sides agreed to respect contracts (transfer agreements in place or not). The IIHF under Fasel was instrumental in brokering this new era of respect for contracts.
You need the international transfer card to be allowed to play. The least the IIHF could've done is block him from playing any national team games.

Last edited:
Reactions: mattihp

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
You need the international transfer card to be allowed to play. The least the IIHF could've done is block him from playing any national team games.

Nope. With no agreement in place, there was no legal basis to a) prevent him from playing in the KHL; and b) suspend him from IIHF competitions.
The NHL even had the opportunity to bring it to the International CAS, yet they never did.

Like I said, the Radulov situation brought everybody to the table (brokered by Fasel) to sign agreements/MOUs where everything would be regulated and whereby everybody would henceforth be held accountable. Agreed on by all sides, hence legally enforceable.
This isn't brain surgery here.

BERN, Switzerland -- Russian forward Alexander Radulov was wrong to sign with a club in his home country while under contract with the Nashville Predators, ice hockey's world governing body ruled Wednesday.
But the International Ice Hockey Federation said it had no legal basis to suspend him because there is no agreement in place to regulate international transfers.
IIHF: Radulov wrong to sign with Russian team

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Nope. With no agreement in place, there was no legal basis to a) prevent him from playing in the KHL; and b) suspend him from IIHF competitions.
The NHL even had the opportunity to bring it to the International CAS, yet they never did.

Like I said, the Radulov situation brought everybody to the table (brokered by Fasel) to sign agreements/MOUs where everything would be regulated and whereby everybody would henceforth be held accountable. Agreed on by all sides, hence legally enforceable.
This isn't brain surgery here.

BERN, Switzerland -- Russian forward Alexander Radulov was wrong to sign with a club in his home country while under contract with the Nashville Predators, ice hockey's world governing body ruled Wednesday.
But the International Ice Hockey Federation said it had no legal basis to suspend him because there is no agreement in place to regulate international transfers.
IIHF: Radulov wrong to sign with Russian team
Kummola literally said on Finnish tv during the Worlds back then that if he were in charge, Radulov wouldn't have been allowed to play.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee

"Any player who leaves his national association to play in a non-member organization will at all times be regarded as belonging to his former member national association."

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
Kummola literally said on Finnish tv during the Worlds back then that if he were in charge, Radulov wouldn't have been allowed to play.

So what. Kummola can say he’s an alien from Jupiter; it doesn’t make it valid. Although in his case I wouldn't doubt it.

Radulov was only 1 of 6 players contested at the time. Without an existing agreement in place prospects like Filatov and Tikhonov were also allowed to the NHL for the same legal reason. So it’s not like Fasel was showing a KHL bias, regardless of what alien Kummola says.

Once more, because of this situation the IIHF later implemented more strict guidelines once the agreement was in place and agreed to by all federations.
The end result was good for international hockey.
It’s been working for more than a decade.

In an explicit reaction to last summer’s Alexander Radulov case, the I.I.H.F. announced that contract jumpers would be banned from playing for a four- to six-month period. Offending players would also be banned from international competition for one to three years, and offending clubs would be banned from the transfer market for 3 to 24 months.
A national federation that failed to stop a club from luring a player under contract in another country would face a $4,500 to $13,500 fine for each game the contract-jumper played with his new club.

IIHF toughens player transfer rules, too late for Radulov

Last edited:

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG
You always hear about that 2005 Junior team but not enough people talk about the 2015 Skoda Cup team.. that team was unreal.... just demolished everyone and it looked a bit like a Jr Tourney with Canada just running over people.

View attachment 510719
It's way past time euroes recognise Canadian superiority at the world stage. We can snag a scalp here and there and talk big, but at any given tourney they could send a powerhouse of a team to demolish anything that any euro country could muster, with a few notable exeptions.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011

Fasel is so corrupt and probably has always been. Reminds of the former Finnish prime minister Esko Aho who just resigned from a loading role of a Russian bank and same can be said about the former chancellor of Germany, Gerhard Schröder who had a questionable job related to Russia after he was working on the Nord Stream 2 pipeline project. All of them are Putin's puppets.

Reactions: Jussi
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad