2022/23 Roster Thread XX: Heading into the Homestretch

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
Hextall has a much different take than all of the people you listed. He did everything opposite of what we normally do.

He wanted to rebuild in the Clarkian model, rather than rebuild the model altogether. He still values the wrong things. He favors veterany veterans over prospects and the only avenue for promotion is through injury. He brought in just as many no-talent hacks as all of the rest of them, with the same stupid emphasis on "playing the game the right way" over actual ability to impact a game. His coaching hire was a dead stare mute just as allergic to innovation as all of the coaches we've had since firing Lavy.

The whole GM tree is diseased and needs to be cut down.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
quote-here-comes-the-new-boss-same-as-the-old-boss-pete-townshend-76-83-40.jpg
I thought that was Hayes for a second

Columbus Hockey Dad

Oct 30, 2018
Well, every asset 26 and older next year, I think it would take an overpay to obtain the 24 and under group, Frost, Tippett, Cates, Foerster, Gauthier, Desnoyers, York, Andrae, Zamula, Hart, Ersson.

But Allison, TK, Laughton, Hayes, Deslauriers, Provorov, Sanheim, Risto, TDA, Seeler are all on the block.

Good bet JVR, Braun, Bellows, Lemieux, Laczynski are gone.
With the 24 and under group, I could see making changes in "fit" for what they want to do, not selling them off.

Reactions: BiggE

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
New STG episode. From ASF:

- Fans are going to be surprised just how willing the Flyers are going to be open for business for moving on from our legitimate assets, no one is going to be protected.

- Don't be surprised if Danny tries to move up. "Trade a player for a pick, then combine that with #7 to move up."

- Expect a lot of movement in the next 6-8 weeks.

- Zero chance that Hextall comes back to the Flyers in an "legitimate" capacity, but theorizes maybe he could get a role running the Phantoms. Alyn McCauley rumor with the Phantoms is not 100%

- Atkinson sought a 2nd opinion from doctors in Columbus who recommended surgery which immediately made him feel better. Mentions how the Flyers doctors' original opinion could have cost Atkinson his career.

- Can almost guarantee that Provorov will not be a Flyer next year. Both the team and he are wanting to move on. Believes there is still value there

Would love to see a move up.

Rebuilds mean Jack shit unless you are actually willing to commit to high end talent acquisition.

They say on their ass doing nothing of the sort under Hextall, and Fletcher. Enough - and let this bitch burn.

To the future, and beyond.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I said the optics of hiring the son of the Bullies coach as Team President — after this dramatic talk about doing away with the advisors (this would be their exact recommendation) — who also was Fletcher’s mentor TWICE would be too bad even for them.

Ooopsies! Besides the Hall trade to build a bubble team for one year (what winning vision!) you can’t point to a single thing he did with the Devils that a monkey couldn’t do. His impact is trying to make the playoffs and stumbling into lottery wins. Honestly, I’d take the monkey. He walked into a fully loaded dynasty caliber Pens team and single-handedly almost ruined them in Crosby/Malkin’s primes. Besides players, his coaching hires have all stunk to high heaven. He’s the exact definition of an utterly mediocre nepotistic HockeyGuy. Couldn’t dream up a more ideal Flyers President.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
if the rumors are true of what briere is doing, i'll be shocked if any of the advisers are still here.
I don't know. I think Lombardi is the most heavily involved "senior advisor," and he certainly isn't a "foundational titan" like Clarke, Holmgren, and Barber.

I hope Hilferty's indication that those "senior advisors" wouldn't be interfering in the new front office extends to Lombardi, but I worry, especially with the report that Hextall could be invited back.

That would have Lombardi written all over it.

Obviously, I want no parts of Hextall back in the Flyers' front office in any capacity.

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
That depends. Was he anywhere near Hawaii at that time?

Hayes being too lazy to show up to help until 82 years later is so typical.

Would love to see a move up.

Rebuilds mean Jack shit unless you are actually willing to commit to high end talent acquisition.

They say on their ass doing nothing of the sort under Hextall, and Fletcher. Enough - and let this bitch burn.

To the future, and beyond.

Commit to it and let them play real hockey instead of fulfilling the grinding fetish of impotent old men.

You can tell me it's not an important position all you want, but from a purely "Where does he win?" perspective, is there a worse non-NHL GM job for Ron bleeping Hextall than AHL GM? AHL development might have been the worst aspect of his entire tenure.

Also the aspect the team loved, cherished, and kept the most. So in that way it makes sense to go for the original architect.

Redpath

Sep 30, 2011
The Hextall hiring test is going to be a quick indiactor of how serious this new regime is. I can not believe that we are actually having to even consider that on the day Hextall got uncerimously fired from the Penguins.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
If they hire Ray Shero as president, they are doing it because of the Shero name and his connection to the Flyers. through his father.

I have no doubt he's a good guy, but as I've said before I don't think he was a particularly good general manager. Overrated by ,many in the media, IMO.

While it wouldn't be the end of the world, so long as doesn't meddle with Torts and Briere, I don't see the point in hiring him as President, either, other than because of his last name.

It would be a "meh" start to the off-season.

Reactions: renberg and Redpath

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
That's great and all, but I don't see anyone in the top 5 trading down...
Would you trade Hart for picks and then use those picks and pick 7 is only way it makes sense. Not saying I would, but TK and Hart is the only way to get legit picks. Tippett and 7 won't get you that much higher up.

Gregor Samsa

Sep 5, 2020
If the Flyers are serious about a rebuild, which they should be, they need unload some of their better players for picks and prospects. TK, Hart, Provy and Sanheim should be shopped aggressively. A few extra 1sts and promising prospects added to what should be a few years of top-5 picks will go a long way towards being competitive again. The future is Bedard/7 overall, Gauthier, Frost, Foerster, and York. Add 3-5 top-5 or top-10 picks, a few mid to late 1sts from trades, and a few promising prospects received in trades, and Flyers might suddenly be cooking with fire.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
If the Flyers are serious about a rebuild, which they should be, they need unload some of their better players for picks and prospects. TK, Hart, Provy and Sanheim should be shopped aggressively. A few extra 1sts and promising prospects added to what should be a few years of top-5 picks will go a long way towards being competitive again. The future is Bedard/7 overall, Gauthier, Frost, Foerster, and York. Add 3-5 top-5 or top-10 picks, a few mid to late 1sts from trades, and a few promising prospects received in trades, and Flyers might suddenly be cooking with fire.
Provorov and Sanheim are my top trade chips. I don't buy that Sanheim is untradeable.

Also Hart, depending on return of course.

Gregor Samsa

Sep 5, 2020
Provorov and Sanheim are my top trade chips. I don't buy that Sanheim is untradeable.

Also Hart, depending on return of course.
Can’t have a goalie stealing games if they are serious about trawling the bottom. See what a young team like Ottawa who is looking for a goaltender would give up.

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I don't think it's about "trawling the bottom."
Rather if it's a 3-5 year process, when they're competitive again, they don't want to be the Flyers of the last decade, with a group of stars in their late 20s, with only a couple peak seasons left, and a group of prospects in their late teens and early 20s, 2-3 years away from entering their peak seasons.

2025-26: Couts (33), Laughton (31), Risto (31), Provorov (28-29), Sanheim (29), TK (28), Allison (28), Hart (27)
bold would need to be extended

Cates (26), Frost (26), Tippett (26), Farabee (25), Brink (24), Foerster (23-24), Desnoyers (23-24), Gauthier (21-22)
Attard (26), Ginning (25-26), Zamula (25), York (24-25), Andrae (23), Sampson (22)
Ersson (26), Kosolov (23-24), Fedotov (29)

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
We'll have to wait to see how the lottery balls fall but hypothetically let's operate off of the idea that Anaheim is first. I can't think of any way that they'd move off of Bedard. Chicago at 2 is not going to give up local boy Fantilli. The first possible move would then be for Carlsson or Mitchkov with Columbus. IDK if either of these players would be worth a package to get them such as the one that the Flyers gave up for Lindros. Perhaps they're generational players; maybe they're not. Then there's the entire question of Mitchkov ever being able to come to NA in order to play.
I'm all for Briere being aggressive in order to better the club but I don't want to see him doing something stupid either.

Reactions: BiggE
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad