2022/23 Roster Thread XVIII: The bats have left the bell tower

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Imagine a world in which an NHL franchise thinks adding D’Angelo, Fisto and Nic D makes that team better.

Sadly, imagination isn’t needed.

The Flyers are the worst run professional sports franchise in North America. Yay team.

But what about the four week stretch between Christmas and the ASG where they played well?

Season Accomplished. Everything is fine.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Teams are already starting to move assets. STL just got a 2023 1st from the Rangers.

Why are we not moving assets? Which of the following is true?

1. The Flyers are undecided if they will be buyers or sellers.
2. The Flyers are asleep at the switch (mostly due to indecision).
3. The Flyers have no one in charge (Fletch is a lame duck; no one else in place to make moves).

Just like last year, Montreal got the jump on trading Chiarot and got the Panthers 1st this year. Flyers had to settle for next year's 1st.

I can see the same thing happening again.
You think GMs don't talk about hypotheticals for weeks before the TDL?
They just wake up one day and decide to do a deal?

Montreal "didn't get a jump," Zito prioritized improving the defense of the top offense in the NHL over adding another forward.
Chariot was traded on the 16th, Giroux on the 19th.
Manson went on the 14th, which upped Chariot's value. Lindholm went on the 19th, Giordano the 20th.
Most trades occurred on the 21st, the TDL.

The only deals that occurred before the last week were Toffoli on Feb 14th, Lyubushkin Feb 19th.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Imagine a world in which an NHL franchise thinks adding D’Angelo, Fisto and Nic D makes that team better.

Sadly, imagination isn’t needed.

The Flyers are the worst run professional sports franchise in North America. Yay team.

a1c63878536af0af0c61d1db4f285f7a.jpg

Honestly, D'Angelo probably plays defense just as well as that Tony guy from Jersey.

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
You think GMs don't talk about hypotheticals for weeks before the TDL?
They just wake up one day and decide to do a deal?

Montreal "didn't get a jump," Zito prioritized improving the defense of the top offense in the NHL over adding another forward.
Chariot was traded on the 16th, Giroux on the 19th.
Manson went on the 14th, which upped Chariot's value. Lindholm went on the 19th, Giordano the 20th.
Most trades occurred on the 21st, the TDL.

The only deals that occurred before the last week were Toffoli on Feb 14th, Lyubushkin Feb 19th.

Of course I understand that most deals are probably long in the making. Apparently, three-plus years for Risto. I get that.

But there's also certainly some "indecision" or asleep at the wheel behaviour sometimes. I suspect that right now, the Flyers are one of those teams that are mired in indecision. The Torts manifesto certainly makes it sound like a direction has finally been chosen, but if there's as much internal disagreement as we have been hearing, and Fletcher is indeed a lame duck GM, what are we doing here? More stalling?

I don't have time to list all the moments where the Flyers have seemed legitimately unprepared, but they are aplenty.

Danko

The Bearer of Bad Knees
Jul 28, 2004
Clearing Contracts...did Hogbergs count against the limit?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
A lot of that "indecision" is the other party, most teams try to wait until they're close to the TDL b/c they want to be sure they're still a playoff team, and in case there's a serious injury, suddenly your needs have shifted from a third line forward to say a top four defenseman.

And of course by waiting, it's easier to make a trade work if you're cap constrained, as teams "bank" cap room for the last 20 games, and only have to eat 1/4 (or 1/8 if 50% of salary is retained) of that cap hit.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes

Best glue guy they've had since they lost Dale Weise

Do you think Mr. Rebuild himself, John Tortorella, would sell high and trade a journeyman, Seeler, for a 4th rounder? He’s leading the rebuild after all, and that’s a textbook rebuild deadline move. But it sounds like he’s an indispensable part of their winning culture, so I guess not.

Danko

The Bearer of Bad Knees
Jul 28, 2004
I honestly don't mind Seeler as a 7th D...if the team was in playoff contention.

Better then Canautsy

Reactions: BiggE

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Am I mistaken, or did every team in the NHL have the opportunity to contact Hogberg & sign him if there was mutual interest?

People act like he was ordered to Sweden by Chuck like a prisoner to Siberia. Dude became a free agent. :laugh:

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Am I mistaken, or did every team in the NHL have the opportunity to contact Hogberg & sign him if there was mutual interest?

People act like he was ordered to Sweden by Chuck like a prisoner to Siberia. Dude became a free agent. :laugh:

People don't give a shit about Hogberg. They give a shit about the team ditching him instead of any of the slew of older and more useless players. They give a shit about a bad process and the way this team makes nothing but objectively and obviously wrong decisions every time they do anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad