2022/23 Roster Thread XVIII: The bats have left the bell tower

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
Once again: internet message board nerds could see the disaster that was TDA from a mile away, but this team's management and pro scouts couldn't.

Dumpster. Franchise.

Or they could have had a meaningful plan to cover his warts that didn't hinge on specifically Ivan Provorov being otherworldly unselfish. I still get a good chuckle out of that last bit.

I think we collectively had no faith in them to do so, of course. But theoretically. In a universe where competence exists.

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
TDA was worth a gamble, he just wasn't worth a 2nd, 3rd and 2yr/$10M gamble.

He's kept his nose clean, his offensive talent is indisputable, he's feisty, but after 50 games if you can't pick up fundamentals and at least play passable defense, well . . .

I would have been fine with TDA as a free agent or something, this asset management is awful

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
I would have been fine with TDA as a free agent or something, this asset management is awful
IDK; maybe Fletcher thought that if he passed on Gaudreau and signed dA that the fans base would be satisfied with adding a local guy at a cheaper rate. Plus he was at a position of need. Unfortunately dA has been a total fail that the club is going to have to eat through next year.

Hextallent63

Oct 13, 2011

He's kept his nose clean, his offensive talent is indisputable, he's feisty, but after 50 games if you can't pick up fundamentals and at least play passable defense, well . . .
not defending getting him or turning blame away from tda, but the flyers have nothing to pair him with to maximize his skill set. and chuck sure has shown zero ability to put together a d corps. there are parts of the d that are ok, but no one right now is capable of leading a defensive pairing.

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

Hextallent63

Oct 13, 2011
TDA needs work defensively. LOL.
He is what he is. All offense, no defense. He can’t be fixed. This organization continues to be clueless.
he does play defense. 90% of the time he tries to do the right thing, it just only works 40% of the time. the other ten % is always shit. i think his problem is he thinks he is smarter than he is and trys plays he can't make, and thinks he has more time than he does, which takes him out of position alot. and that shimmy shit he does at the blueline drives me crazy.

The first month when all the yahoos raved about how underrated his defense was......that was a helluva time.

Remember: Fletcher, in his post-trade presser, said DeAngelo was a top pair defender. The man who only ever talks about defense, jettisoning a vastly superior Ghost in the process, acquired the worst defensive player in the league. Might want to sit down for this: he doesn't know what the f*** he's doing.
ill admit i thought he was not too bad defensively for a bit, but yea he is crap.

Reactions: Magua

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Or they could have had a meaningful plan to cover his warts that didn't hinge on specifically Ivan Provorov being otherworldly unselfish. I still get a good chuckle out of that last bit.

I think we collectively had no faith in them to do so, of course. But theoretically. In a universe where competence exists.
While expecting anyone on the Flyers to imitate Slavin is a reach, TDA wasn't nearly this bad paired with Staal in NY, and was even decent with Fox and Skjei.

Watching him, it's not that he doesn't want to play defense, he doesn't know how to play defense, and there is no reliable partner to settle him down and tell him where to go. The kid tries, he's just clueless.

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
While expecting anyone on the Flyers to imitate Slavin is a reach, TDA wasn't nearly this bad paired with Staal in NY, and was even decent with Fox and Skjei.

Watching him, it's not that he doesn't want to play defense, he doesn't know how to play defense, and there is no reliable partner to settle him down and tell him where to go. The kid tries, he's just clueless.

The idea that someone is better with Adam Fox is not my idea of a compelling point.

DeAngelo is also now 27. We shouldn't expect him to be able to do everything he could physically do in his early 20s. Doubly so given that we agree he's lacking in approach and awareness as fallback options.

Kelmitchell2

Aug 30, 2020

That's not what you said when we acquired him, you were all for it and said that it was a very small price to pay for a player that can put up 60 pts regularly

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
No, I said TDA was a good gamble for a rebuilding team.
He has great offensive skills, you don't need him to be a plus on defense, just don't be a black hole.

Don't think it's a coincidence that Sanheim had maybe his best game this season paired with Risto.

Meanwhile, sheltering TDA with Seeler and limiting his minutes is the best you can do - of course, I suggested doing the same with Ghost. That's how you maximize value out of these kind of D-men, PP1, offensive zone starts, and sit them with a lead.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Yep, called it on Hogberg.

"The 24-year-old defenseman will return to his native Sweden."

Makes sense, his path to the NHL is blocked, he can probably make more money in the SHL than the AHL, gets to go back home, and can have a nice 10 year career there. No one's fault, he just wasn't good enough for the NA game.

Reactions: captainpaxil

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
Yep, called it on Hogberg.

"The 24-year-old defenseman will return to his native Sweden."

Makes sense, his path to the NHL is blocked, he can probably make more money in the SHL than the AHL, gets to go back home, and can have a nice 10 year career there. No one's fault, he just wasn't good enough for the NA game.
He wasn't rated high enough that another team would take a chance on him for a low round pick it's a shame it came to termination but that's Fletcher for you traditionally this is a guy the team would have done the favor for

Reactions: BiggE

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
IDK; maybe Fletcher thought that if he passed on Gaudreau and signed dA that the fans base would be satisfied with adding a local guy at a cheaper rate. Plus he was at a position of need. Unfortunately dA has been a total fail that the club is going to have to eat through next year.

I could legit see Tony putting a team over the top on the PP or something. I've never been a TDA fan, but even I will acknowledge he's talented in the OZ...but, we're not even close to that. Just lying to ourselves one wasted asset at a time. Joke

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
Teams are already starting to move assets. STL just got a 2023 1st from the Rangers.

Why are we not moving assets? Which of the following is true?

1. The Flyers are undecided if they will be buyers or sellers.
2. The Flyers are asleep at the switch (mostly due to indecision).
3. The Flyers have no one in charge (Fletch is a lame duck; no one else in place to make moves).

Just like last year, Montreal got the jump on trading Chiarot and got the Panthers 1st this year. Flyers had to settle for next year's 1st.

I can see the same thing happening again.

WIP CALLER

Aug 18, 2016
Teams are already starting to move assets. STL just got a 2023 1st from the Rangers.

3. The Flyers have no one in charge (Fletch is a lame duck; no one else in place to make moves).

Just like last year, Montreal got the jump on trading Chiarot and got the Panthers 1st this year. Flyers had to settle for next year's 1st.

It's because Chuck doesn't actually put in effort on trades until the day of the trade deadline. He sees trade deadline on the calendar and circles it as the date that he actually has to put in work. It's too much effort for him to do things ahead of time. Same thing in free agency. He works for the first 6 hours it opens when prices are at their highest then he's done for the offseason.

Kelmitchell2

Aug 30, 2020
No, I said TDA was a good gamble for a rebuilding team.
He has great offensive skills, you don't need him to be a plus on defense, just don't be a black hole.

Don't think it's a coincidence that Sanheim had maybe his best game this season paired with Risto.

Meanwhile, sheltering TDA with Seeler and limiting his minutes is the best you can do - of course, I suggested doing the same with Ghost. That's how you maximize value out of these kind of D-men, PP1, offensive zone starts, and sit them with a lead.
Yes sanhiem is a product of ristolainen, thank God we traded so much for him and resigned him to that horrific contract, sanhiem would have never looked good out there without him.....

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

All three. Also, 4), Fletcher is lazy and always waits until the last minute to do stuff. Same reason he only works one day of FA and calls it an offseason. It's all four of those things, and the laziness fuels the indecision because it justifies the laziness. Feedback loop!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad