2022/23 Roster Thread XVIII: The bats have left the bell tower

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
A successful rebuild starts from the top and goes down from there to the product on the ice.
That letter along with the hiring of Camillo and Tortorella seems to indicate changes are taking place behind closed doors. These people are not Fletcher/Flahr types.

As a defensive grinding-loving coach, Tortorella is definitely a Fletcher/Flahr type. There's no real difference between the Cronies and Fletcher on hockey philosophy. That's why he's here.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
A successful rebuild starts from the top and goes down from there to the product on the ice.
That letter along with the hiring of Camillo and Tortorella seems to indicate changes are taking place behind closed doors. These people are not Fletcher/Flahr types.
Camillo was hired a week after Fletcher was hired.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
It’s a joke that the coach has to make this declaration and our pro scouts and GM didn’t come to this realization before shipping away pretty significant assets and $ for him. Hell, you didn’t even need to watch the Hurricanes to come to this assessment. f***ing joke of a franchise.

When people talk about cleaning house, this is specifically why. Everyone from the bottom up needs to be let go and organizationally they need a hard reset.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I think Fletcher wanted to do what Guerin actually has done in Minnesota, try to add young talent while remaining competitive. This would help him keep his job in the short run (placate Scott and the advisors) while adding desperately needed young talent.

The difference is Fletcher totally screwed that up, Guerin added a bunch of low cost patches, only Zuccarello cost real money, and none cost assets, while trading Fiala and Zucker for assets.

Fletcher instead trades real assets for a 27 year old D-man, then trades some more assets a year later for another 27 year old D-man, Moves that are neither short-term patches or long-term rebuilding. Trades G for picks and Tippett (Deslauriers is a nothing move, heck, Guerin traded a 3rd to rent Deslauriers a year ago), and isn't able to sign JG. Cognitive dissonance at its best.

• Haha
Reactions: Cody Webster

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
It’s a joke that the coach has to make this declaration and our pro scouts and GM didn’t come to this realization before shipping away pretty significant assets and $ for him. Hell, you didn’t even need to watch the Hurricanes to come to this assessment. f***ing joke of a franchise.
Ultimately, the GM is the one who made the move, just like he made the Risto trade. Firing him would be a great start.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
I think Fletcher wanted to do what Guerin actually has done in Minnesota, try to add young talent while remaining competitive. This would help him keep his job in the short run (placate Scott and the advisors) while adding desperately needed young talent.

The difference is Fletcher totally screwed that up, Guerin added a bunch of low cost patches, only Zuccarello cost real money, and none cost assets, while trading Fiala and Zucker for assets.

Fletcher instead trades real assets for a 27 year old D-man, then trades some more assets a year later for another 27 year old D-man, Moves that are neither short-term patches or long-term rebuilding. Trades G for picks and Tippett (Deslauriers is a nothing move, heck, Guerin traded a 3rd to rent Deslauriers a year ago), and isn't able to sign JG. Cognitive dissonance at its best.
zoolander-are-you-serious.gif

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
Weird, we all said that this would be the case when he was acquired but we were told that Torts is a genius and he'd be able to fix it and also that TDA is elite and Makaresque.

Womp Womp.

Um, I'm guessing the Flyers aren't trading him at the deadline then?? Otherwise, this is yet another masterclass in tanking a player's value.

Let's not forget Kevin "You can have him for free when we buy him out this summer" Hayes and Ivan "Rainbows give me the heebyjeebies" Provorov.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

Fletcher has stated that he thinks adding youth is a problem and at every step has resisted playing youth whenever possible.

So no, that's not what he wanted to do and I have no idea why you would think that.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
It's just amazing to me that the difference between an undersized, offensive defenseman going unclaimed on waivers and needing a premium pick to dump his contract and getting traded for three picks just for the right to offer him a $5 mill AAV contract, is an occasional fight and chirping when things aren't going your way.

DeAngelo is exactly the type of player people thought Ghost was.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
It's just amazing to me that the difference between an undersized, offensive defenseman going unclaimed on waivers and needing a premium pick to dump his contract and getting traded for three picks just for the right to offer him a $5 mill AAV contract, is an occasional fight and chirping when things aren't going your way.

DeAngelo is exactly the type of player people thought Ghost was.

We are heading into another TDL and offseason with the exact same braintrust that engineered these abominations fully intact.

Redpath

Sep 30, 2011
Part of the irony of course is that the Flyers were reportedly interested in DeAngelo even pre-Hurricanes when he signed there in 2021, so the implication that his strong Hurricanes stint altered their perception is wrong.

Trade Ghost for picks just to covet a Ghost clone anyway.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
Part of the irony of course is that the Flyers were reportedly interested in DeAngelo even pre-Hurricanes when he signed there in 2021, so the implication that his strong Hurricanes stint altered their perception is wrong.

If he was a Ghost clone, he wouldn't be a wreck in his own end. He's a poor man's Ghost.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I think when TDA kept his nose clean, they were encourage to go after him.
Players can be coached up, Gustaffson has become a solid 2nd pair D-man in Washington this year.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

HockeyBuzz still has people who think Tony is much better defensively than Ghost. :laugh:

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg

Think ASF mentioned this, but it were other sources in the organization that initially squashed the idea from an optics standpoint.

I figure the green light was given after he stayed relatively vanilla in Carolina. The actual disturbing thought is that hockey analytic guru Ian Anderson apparently justified the asset spending for the move - and that’s according to Fletcher himself I believe.

Cockroach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad