2022/23 Roster Thread XVIII: The bats have left the bell tower

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
*deep breath*

A coach does not rebuild. A management team rebuilds. What John Tortorella thinks the word "rebuild" means is likely not the managerial definition. Wake me up when Tortorella starts acquiring assets galore, in the interest of acquiring elite talent, with the intent to be competitive in 5 years. That's surely not in his power or what he means. What Tortorella means is rebuilding the brand.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
*deep breath*

A coach does not rebuild. A management team rebuilds. What John Tortorella thinks the word "rebuild" means is likely not the managerial definition. Wake me up when Tortorella starts acquiring assets galore, in the interest of acquiring elite talent, with the intent to be competitive in 5 years. That's surely not in his power or what he means. What Tortorella means is rebuilding the brand.
No it isn't. Torts is basically drawing a line in the sand, forcing management to "fish or cut bait."

I think he's run out of patience with Chuck, after the "we're only 5 points out of a playoff spot" comment following his words about the need to rebuild.

And by putting his name on the letter, management is siding with him over the "aggressive reload."

Now the question is, who is running the asylum.
It's starting to look like Camillo. Because this is looking like a business decision to sell a rebuild and Torts to the fans.
And that would mean that Scott and Fletcher will soon be history.

This is going to get ugly until they jettison Fletcher, b/c he's going to get it from the media and fans.

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
No it isn't. Torts is basically drawing a line in the sand, forcing management to "fish or cut bait."

I think he's run out of patience with Chuck, after the "we're only 5 points out of a playoff spot" comment following his words about the need to rebuild.

And by putting his name on the letter, management is siding with him over the "aggressive reload."

It's starting to look like Camillo. Because this is looking like a business decision to sell a rebuild and Torts to the fans.

This is going to get ugly until they jettison Fletcher, b/c he's going to get it from the media and fans.

I think, I think, it looks like. Throwing conjectures together isn't fact, my man. You don't know any of this; it's all a story you've created. I do know that Tortorella is not the GM and has no control over long-term asset management, which is what a rebuild entails. But if he wants Briere to come in and rip apart the team -- which sounds unlikely -- so he can be 70 years old when this team turns around, then egg on my face!

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I think, I think, it looks like. Throwing conjectures together isn't fact, my man. You don't know any of this; it's all a story you've created. I do know that Tortorella is not the GM and has no control over long-term asset management, which is what a rebuild entails. But if he wants Briere to come in and rip apart the team -- which sounds unlikely -- so he can be 70 years old when this team turns around, then egg on my face!
Nobody knows outside the inter sanctum. But . . .
1) When you put Torts name on the letter, that decision wasn't made by Torts, nor Fletcher, was it made by Scott or Camillo?
2) When Fletcher rarely makes a public appearance or interacts with media, . . .
3) When Torts freely talks about rebuilding on public media, is he going rogue or has he been given the green light?

One thing is obvious, this isn't business as usual like the last decade, no one is talking playoffs anymore.

The GM works for management, no GM is autonomous, even Howie clears major decisions with Lurie, and he has far more authority and power than any Flyer GM has had. The GM implements the mandate set forth by management. The GM may influence that mandate (but we know it was established before Fletcher was offered the job) but he doesn't set it.

We've known that nothing will change until management changes, which is why firing Fletcher was never the solution, merely a byproduct of the solution.

If Camillo is taking over, she has zero connection with the advisors, and no emotional attachment to "Broad Street Bullies."
She will be far more concerned with how Flyer fans, and especially the fans she needs to sell season tickets too, feel about the cureent team. If she decides the fans trust Torts but dislike Fletcher, well . . .

One of two things is true and I'll leave it up to everyone to decide on their own.

1. John Tortorella is Otto von Bismarck reincarnated.
  2. The entire hockey ops staff is incompetent, just in different ways.
I'll go with 3: Torts is Cardinal Richelieu reincarnated.

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
One of two things is true and I'll leave it up to everyone to decide on their own.

1. John Tortorella is Otto von Bismarck reincarnated.
  2. The entire hockey ops staff is incompetent, just in different ways.

Hmmmmm.

XXEjIJ3.png

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Was Fletcher's name on that letter?
If Fletcher threatened to resign, would anyone at Comcast give a shit?
If Torts threatened to resign, how many ST cancellations would follow?

1) Put the tooth fairy's name on the letter, the tooth fairy isn't running the team. If Tortorella is running the team then he is the exact same as Fletcher and you were dead wrong about him.

2) Comcast? No. The Cronyarchy? They'd be deeply upset. Fletcher isn't going to resign though, which you'd expect if he disagreed with how the team is being run and being made to look like shit.

3) None.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
*deep breath*

When Tortorella says build or rebuild, he's talking about culture shit. Not long-term franchise-level strategy.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Nobody knows outside the inter sanctum. But . . .
1) When you put Torts name on the letter, that decision wasn't made by Torts, nor Fletcher, was it made by Scott or Camillo?
2) When Fletcher rarely makes a public appearance or interacts with media, . . .
3) When Torts freely talks about rebuilding on public media, is he going rogue or has he been given the green light?

One thing is obvious, this isn't business as usual like the last decade, no one is talking playoffs anymore.

The GM works for management, no GM is autonomous, even Howie clears major decisions with Lurie, and he has far more authority and power than any Flyer GM has had. The GM implements the mandate set forth by management. The GM may influence that mandate (but we know it was established before Fletcher was offered the job) but he doesn't set it.

We've known that nothing will change until management changes, which is why firing Fletcher was never the solution, merely a byproduct of the solution.

If Camillo is taking over, she has zero connection with the advisors, and no emotional attachment to "Broad Street Bullies."
She will be far more concerned with how Flyer fans, and especially the fans she needs to sell season tickets too, feel about the cureent team. If she decides the fans trust Torts but dislike Fletcher, well . . .

I'll go with 3: Torts is Cardinal Richelieu reincarnated.

Richelieu would have won more Cups.

Also, Richelieu wasn't a subversive figure who was the real power behind his organization. He was still quite subservient to the king and entirely dependent on his ongoing favor. He had exactly as much power and influence as Louis granted him. You seem to think he's Charles Martel running the show with his king as a puppet, so that's probably what you were going for to keep it within that French circle.

• Wow
Reactions: JojoTheWhale

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Fletcher isn't resigning, this could be his last big paycheck, he's gonna milk it as long as he can.

Sometimes I think people here either inherited money or have never been laid off.

Reactions: Don Nachbaur 26

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Instead of a Bell Tower, how about a little love for a Watch Tower.,,,,,,

Both versions were heard in the dorms.......depending which floor you were traversing but for me which version really depended on which girl I was dating,.........oh such a chameleon was I.......

Oh no, no usurping Bela Lugosi's Dead! A hypnotic trance-inducing vigorous splendor that thankfully radio neglected. Dylan had his followers and Hendrix left the Earth too soon but with a deep mark; however, "the bats have left the bell tower" is a euphemistically wonderful succession of words that hints at comedic genius under the guise of generational malaise. Truth be spoken, at a certain dance club in Houston Texas, amid a maelstrom of activity, stood a kind and gentle soul named Pagan who uniquely advanced her abilities and charms to this ditty. Villainous yet spontaneous, Bela Lugosi lives.

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC

He's run out of patience with Chuck not commiting to a rebuild? That's rich coming from you, after you spent all summer and the start of the season yelling from the rooftops that Chuck already started the rebuild. Against the wishes of the senior advisers.

Which I'm sure you're about to bold face deny ever having said.

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
They arent rebuilding.

BS extension for Sanheim, and Couturier. Pending BS extensions for Konecny, and Hart. Assets bled for really at best lateral moves season after season. Maxed out cap wise. Hiring of Torts.

Nothing says they are rebuilding. Actions, and words.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad