2022/23 Roster Thread XVIII: The bats have left the bell tower

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Depends on if they've fired everyone Clarke has ever met and hired competent people first.

Everything hinges on competency. This has been made clear.

If they let this general group tear down and rebuild, there will be criticism because they will fail while doing very obviously stupid shit. Do you believe incompetence shouldn't be called out? Is that why you defend everything?
I've been slamming the FO for years.
My point is that a better GM than Fletcher wouldn't make it work here b/c the FO would sabotage him.

Now we still don't know if Hextall didn't have the guts to rebuild or wasn't allowed - but his moves reeked of the same problems we've had with Fletcher, trade veterans for picks, then sign Weise, trade Schenn for picks, then sign JVR. Hold on to Simmons until he has no value, overpay Voracek.

I doubt a good GM would come here (i.e., one with options) b/c he wouldn't be granted the authority to do what he thinks is necessary until they fire Scott and the advisors.

The best thing about Torts is he's ripping the band-aid off the sore.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
I'm all for a total teardown and a process that takes a considerable amount of time if it's framed by something resembling a plan. If the organization were to clean house and then take steps that all logically aligned with the next in order to build a contender for the future, have at it!

I'd go back to wearing a Flyers hat every damn day of the week again if the team was winning 25 games a season for 3 years, but the Phantoms were being stocked with depth talent while the pro team made (smart) top 10 picks. I won't be seen with the logo on, though, as long as they're being run with the foresight of a delirious junkie.

Last edited:

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

This is high comedy. No you have not. You still spend ample time pretending Clarke isn't the root of all evil, and you still defend everything Fletcher has done. Considering you pretend he was forced to do these things by the rest of the office, your defenses obviously serve as a defense of the entire apparatus.

My point is that a better GM than Fletcher wouldn't make it work here b/c the FO would sabotage him.

That's why I said everyone who has ever met Clarke has to be fired.

Now we still don't know if Hextall didn't have the guts to rebuild or wasn't allowed - but his moves reeked of the same problems we've had with Fletcher, trade veterans for picks, then sign Weise, trade Schenn for picks, then sign JVR. Hold on to Simmons until he has no value, overpay Voracek.

I doubt a good GM would come here (i.e., one with options) b/c he wouldn't be granted the authority to do what he thinks is necessary until they fire Scott and the advisors.

Hextall is doing a bunch of the same stuff he was doing here in Pittsburgh. He and Fletcher are both products of the Clarke Management Tree. That's why they share issues. They value many of the same idiotic things.

Tortorella is part of the sore. He is demanding change? Maybe. But what he's demanding won't bring success. He's a fossil. Useless. Here because management likes how he thinks, which is the strongest condemnation of his hockey philosophies I can imagine.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004

#ONEMISTAKE

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
Rebuild? What is this crazy concept.

gpf66t.gif

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
If they tore it down they might miss the playoffs four out of the next five seasons. Live they have done not rebuilding under Fletcher.
This is pretty abysmal when more draft picks have gone out than have come in.

18-19: .500 (22nd) no playoffs
19-20 .645 (6th) playoffs
20-21: .518 (19th) playoffs
21-22: .372 (29th) no playoffs
22-23: .475 (25th) no playoff

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
This is pretty abysmal when more draft picks have gone out that have come in.

18-19: .500 (22nd) no playoffs
19-20 .645 (6th) playoffs
20-21: .518 (19th) playoffs
21-22: .372 (29th) no playoffs
22-23: .475 (25th) no playoff

Look, draft picks don't guarantee anything, so why bother? It is well and good that Fletcher has bled them off. Truly.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
People talking about the Flyers just being a team to squeak into the playoffs in the years to come seem awfully optimistic to me.

Bruins, Lightning, Leafs, Canes, Devils, Rangers, Islanders. We don’t even have to include Penguins and Caps. The Panthers are already righting the course midseason and will improve next year. Sabres could pull a Devils sooner than later. Even Ottawa and Detroit have far better talent than the Flyers and are emerging from rebuilds. Bold take: the Blue Jackets will be better than the Flyers next year with their top 3 pick and a healthy roster.

The only way the Flyers make the playoffs in the next 5 years and beyond is by wearing Phantoms jerseys.

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
I admit, if the Flyers made the playoffs every single season as the 24th place team, where they are now, it would be storybook. Sadly, they’d still be 14th in the East and miss.
I had to double check the standings after you said this. The Flyers wouldn't even make the playoffs if 12 of the 15 teams in the east made it, it's almost unbelievable.

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
The funny part of listing all the teams that are a clear, and present danger - when it comes to the barriers to the playoffs…

It illustrates what a prefect time it is for this team to tank. The east is loaded with talent, especially this division. A case can be made for a team like LA, in a weaker conference/division to add - but the Flyers find themselves with far too many obstacles beyond their own organizational limitations.

Tank, and tank hard. Even fear of using the word is really just cowardly.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Jun 19, 2018
People talking about the Flyers just being a team to squeak into the playoffs in the years to come seem awfully optimistic to me.

Bruins, Lightning, Leafs, Canes, Devils, Rangers, Islanders. We don’t even have to include Penguins and Caps. The Panthers are already righting the course midseason and will improve next year. Sabres could pull a Devils sooner than later. Even Ottawa and Detroit have far better talent than the Flyers and are emerging from rebuilds. Bold take: the Blue Jackets will be better than the Flyers next year with their top 3 pick and a healthy roster.

The only way the Flyers make the playoffs in the next 5 years and beyond is by wearing Phantoms jerseys.
This team won't sniff the playoffs until a 3-5 yrs after everything changes, so likely closer to a decade. Great spot.

Reactions: Magua
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad