2022/23 Roster Thread XVII: The Days are Getting Longer

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
7a7qz5.jpg

CerpinTaxt

Apr 1, 2009
KY
it's weird because to me, from the get torts made it pretty clear it was a rebuild. even contradicting some things fletcher said. it's like the front office has some rule where they can't say rebuild. but torts don't give a shit. im not patting the coaching staff on the back but there pretty much the only reason the team is doing better this year, with respect to some players progressing just a bit.
Like how coaching is cited for "improved" team play. Pretty sure the teams offensive and defensive metrics are still near bottom of the league this year, but yea team is better coached. Just discount the majority of wins coming off the back of elite goaltending. Also I wouldn't brag about the coaching when the team has *checks notes* 6 more wins then at this point last year and is still out of a playoff spot. Like whoop dee doo.

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
The Torts letter keys you know who is in charge. Fletcher and the oldsters days are over. We’ve seen an alignment between Torts and Briere several times in the press. It could be that Camillo is in with them.
There was an interesting article in the Athletic today on the Beanpot tournament and modern hockey. It stressed the maneuvaribility of forwards and defensemen as in how each have to cover for each other depending on where the puck is.
I think that that is where Torts is going with this. Most of the current Flyers roster can’t handle this and need to go. Guys on D have to be rovers plus like Werenski was for Torts in Columbus and Attard can be here. Guys on O need to be able to get back and defend when necessary a la Cates and, more often now, Frost. It’s a transition in the game that is taking hold. Skills trump size. Unfortunately Fletcher and Flahr missed that memo.
I’m may be out to lunch here with my positivity but I think that Torts gets what’s going on with today’s game. He may not like some of the stuff like the Michigan play but he’s hip to the fact that the game is no longer the Dino play. Look for some interesting/shocking changes coming here from what we’ve seen in the past in the next six months. If not, the franchise is dead.

Playing MacEwen in the top 9 at times and Deslauriers every night contradicts that.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Playing MacEwen in the top 9 at times and Deslauriers every night contradicts that.
You play who you have. Injuries forced that. We had JVR and Allison out for stretches, Laczynski out the last month, and of course, they expected Couts and Atkinson to play this season. Now we have Bellows replacing MacEwen. The race to the bottom!
Deslauriers plays the least minutes of any forward, and those minutes have steadily declined.

If you watched the Phantoms, you know those forwards aren't ready for prime time - go back and look at when Allison arrived three years ago - it was obvious he was too good for the AHL. Right now, no one on the Phantoms jumps out at you, it's not that they're bad, it's that they just haven't progressed to the next level where it's self-evident it's time for a promotion. Brink is getting his legs back, Foerster is improving but MacEwen would easily beat him in a foot race, Lycksell is scoring but he's still inconsistent, going MIA for long stretches, Desnoyers is impressive but undersized for his NHL role (think Laughton), Wisdom has struggled, Ratcliffe has become a cliff diver.

• Haha
Reactions: Fight4yourRight

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
You play who you have. Injuries forced that. We had JVR and Allison out for stretches, Laczynski out the last month, and of course, they expected Couts and Atkinson to play this season. Now we have Bellows replacing MacEwen. The race to the bottom!
Deslauriers plays the least minutes of any forward, and those minutes have steadily declined.

If you watched the Phantoms, you know those forwards aren't ready for prime time - go back and look at when Allison arrived three years ago - it was obvious he was too good for the AHL. Right now, no one on the Phantoms jumps out at you, it's not that they're bad, it's that they just haven't progressed to the next level where it's self-evident it's time for a promotion. Brink is getting his legs back, Foerster is improving but MacEwen would easily beat him in a foot race, Lycksell is scoring but he's still inconsistent, going MIA for long stretches, Desnoyers is impressive but undersized for his NHL role (think Laughton), Wisdom has struggled, Ratcliffe has become a cliff diver.

You were penciling Ratcliffe in as a sure 4th liner in the revolving door parade of youth you guaranteed would happen.

At what point does the constant, annual, massive regression of players finally force you to admit their development priorities are bad?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
6 of our top 9 forwards are 25 and under, and the two oldest forwards will have new addresses by next season.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
6 of our top 9 forwards are 25 and under, and the two oldest forwards will have new addresses by next season.
Yes, they're playing out of need not from a plan. If Atkinson and Couturier were healthy we wouldn't be seeing a couple of those players and the Flyers would be operating the same exact way that they have been for a decade. The fourth line would still be the slop that it is now because of archaic roles that this organization has when roster building.

Not to mention, "Best Players Play Most Minutes: More At 11!"

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
You were penciling Ratcliffe in as a sure 4th liner in the revolving door parade of youth you guaranteed would happen.

At what point does the constant, annual, massive regression of players finally force you to admit their development priorities are bad?
What regressions? What this had shown me is the board grossly overvalued Hextall's draft picks.
Has Twarynski made the Kraken lineup? Has Bunnaman made it out of the AHL. And so on.
Players go to new organizations all the time and turn their careers around - IF they actually have talent.

Injuries have played a big role with Allison and Laczynski (also Laberge, who was a bad luck story, and of course, Patrick).
But you hope to at least hit on a few middle round picks and get players who can give you 2-3 decent 4th line seasons.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
What regressions? What this had shown me is the board grossly overvalued Hextall's draft picks.
Has Twarynski made the Kraken lineup? Has Bunnaman made it out of the AHL. And so on.
Players go to new organizations all the time and turn their careers around - IF they actually have talent.

Injuries have played a big role with Allison and Laczynski (also Laberge, who was a bad luck story, and of course, Patrick).
But you hope to at least hit on a few middle round picks and get players who can give you 2-3 decent 4th line seasons.
Did YOU grossly overvalue Hextall's draft picks? Because every year we've seen you talk up such players and insert them into the lineup despite being told "that's not going to happen."

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

I'm going solely off YOUR evaluations and predictions dude. Not the board's. I've been here telling you none of it is going to happen the entire time.

Reactions: Striiker

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
For Ratcliffe in particular I was telling you that he's not likely to be anything because he's not very good and only checks off the orgs size worship. Combined with development values that only have him focusing on grinding and playing big, there's zero chance he can grow or become an NHL player.

Ratcliffe represents his own facet of the bad processes in place. Add his lack of veteranyness and he was never going to revolve in. Especially not over a Deslauriers they consider a core piece

Reactions: Striiker

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa

I believe at one point, someone had Ratcliffe replacing Voracek in the top 6 because of his 'awesome' 14 game sample to end a season in meaningless garbage games. Maybe it was another player with an extremely limited sample size, but someone was definitely going to talk into the flyers top PP unit and top 6 as Voraceks replacement after like 10 games.

fun times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad