2022/23 Roster Thread XVII: The Days are Getting Longer

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
A lot of GMs lust for big RHDs, look at what Savard and Chariot got paid (both trades and extensions) and they're 2-3 years old.
It's a "hockey man" thang.
So you are, in fact, stating that Chuck Fletcher did not want Rasmus Ristolainen and just went with the flow, right?

P.S. A lot of GMs are morons. Hell, we have one of our own here!

Reactions: BiggE

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Everyone here knows so much better.

That’s why Dave Hakstol has the 2nd-year Kraken at 27-14-5 with no goaltending & an expansion roster everyone laughed at, as well.

That’s why the Flyers are ahead of Giroux’s Senators & Gaudreau’s Blue Jackets in the standings.

It’s why Berube won a Cup in St. Louis.

• Haha
Reactions: Petr Svoboda Mullet

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
All of these moves can be traced to one statement, "I couldn't be more happy to introduce Chuck to the Flyers organization."

And just to be clear here, we are going with the angle that Chuck Fletcher had a gun to his head when it came to re-signing Risto and didn't do it on his own volition? Cool, cool.

While i'm here though, i'm going to transcribe what came before that statement...

"We sat here about a week ago and I said this GM search process would take weeks not months and here we are days now. It feels a lot longer to me. We went through a good process and it was timely. Paul Holmgren and I had a good idea of a slate of good candidates so we really rolled up our sleeves. We dug in through the course of last week into the weekend. We kind of completed things with Chuck on Sunday and it was a good process." - Dave Scott

"We really rolled up our sleeves and dug in and within a few days hired one of Bob Clarke's best buddies with no track record of success a long track record of failure and long ties to everyone involved in Flyers management."

Last edited:

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Everyone here knows so much better.

That’s why Dave Hakstol has the 2nd-year Kraken at 27-14-5 with no goaltending & an expansion roster everyone laughed at, as well.

That’s why the Flyers are ahead of Giroux’s Senators & Gaudreau’s Blue Jackets in the standings.

It’s why Berube won a Cup in St. Louis.
Who are you talking to?

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
A lot of GMs lust for big RHDs, look at what Savard and Chariot got paid (both trades and extensions) and they're 2-3 years old.

Fletcher is the only one dumb enough to lust this hard for a dman this bad, for this long.

You're doing the thing where you try to minimize Fletcher's errors again. This is a whataboutism.

Reactions: BiggE

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Fletcher is the only one dumb enough to lust this hard for a dman this bad, for this long.

You're doing the thing where you try to minimize Fletcher's errors again. This is a whataboutism.
Zito gave up a 1st, 4th and a prospect for 20 games and a horrid playoff performance by Chariot.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Zito gave up a 1st, 4th and a prospect for 20 games and a horrid playoff performance by Chariot.

Whataboutism. Have you been studying under former Soviet UN reps?

Explain why this makes it okay to pay more for a worse dman, and then double down on him long term.

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008

Both Chiarot and Savard then walked as UFAs. Pretty clearly better from where I sit.

Fletcher has badly executed a bad strategy

I'm going to have so much more free time now. Welcome aboard.

eating-popcorn.gif

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey

It's never been about "absolving Fletcher" but recognizing he's been scapegoated for the failures of the FO that go back a decade.

The problems go back to 2012, when Holmgren refused to recognize the obvious - with Pronger out, the rebuild should have started with the Richards/Carter trades. Pronger made that team a contender, without him they were no longer a top 8 team.

Fletcher has badly executed a bad strategy - which may end up a good thing - if he had, for example, made some better moves, the Flyers could have been a marginal playoff team for four to five years with little cap room as they sign G or JG, kept Ghost to let him walk after this season, kept Voracek only to see him on IR, etc. etc. Drafting 15-20th (and 45-50 in the 2nd rd) and ending up with a bunch of marginal prospects. Last decade repeated forever (hockey purgatory).
I see that more was added.

It is about absolving Fletcher because we all have recognized that the FO is a shitshow and they all should be nuked and we have been saying it for years all through your constant defense of the organization. We don't need to explain this every single time that we post. When we point out Fletcher's shortcomings we don't need to point out the other shithead's shortcomings also.

I'm just glad that you've finally admitted that he's badly executed a bad strategy because, once again, your countless amounts of posts have screamed the exact opposite many times over the years. There's also the matter of the fact that you believe that this strategy was thrust upon Fletcher and it wasn't one that he embraced himself so maybe we'll eventually get to that point. I suspect it will be sometime around when he gets shown the door which is usually when you come around to piling dirt on the people.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I'll be more specific: there is no plan. Fletcher has never had a plan in his GMing career. He just ricochets around aimlessly, and had a high number of buyouts and "oops" trades shortly after making idiot signings, until the rest of the league stopped bailing him out and started ripping him off.

It's more of the same here.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Bill Zito is without first round picks the next *three* years.

His Panthers are 4 points ahead of the Flyers with one more game played, & 21st in the NHL in points percentage.

Last year posters here were fawning over Zito & laughing about how dumb the Flyers were not to hire him.

A few months later he doesn’t exist.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Bill Zito is without first round picks the next *three* years.

His Panthers are 4 points ahead of the Flyers with one more game played, & 21st in the NHL in points percentage.

Last year posters here were fawning over Zito & laughing about how dumb the Flyers were not to hire him.

A few months later he doesn’t exist.
Making more shit up and yelling it into the ethos, I see.

Talk to us when Fletcher and the Flyers win a President's Trophy or hell, let's settle for even a division title. The situations between where the Panthers were and are are not remotely comparable to where the Flyers were and are and anyone that does it is just being disingenuous or stanning for the Flyers franchise.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Both Chiarot and Savard then walked as UFAs. Pretty clearly better from where I sit.
And were signed by two other GMs, including Yzerman.
Which is why if Risto keeps improving, he'll have a market next summer if you retain a million or two.

Though I'm curious to see what Shaw can do with him, he's become a mainstay on a very good PK the last month.
And even 5x5, after the putrid start that got him benched, Shaw has him playing the best hockey of his career.
37g 15:35 CF 47.95%, xGF 52.66%, xGFrel +5.50, xGA/60 2.20.

Now whether this is sustainable . . . stay tuned.
Not worth $5M in a 5th D-man role, but at least he's no longer a black hole.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
He has 5 points in 41 games and the worst 5on5 GA/60 on the defense behind even Tony Angelo while playing sheltered minutes. That is a center-of-the-galaxy-size black hole.

And that's still a lot better than what Fletcher did because as well as trading for a bad defenseman, he also gave that bad defenseman a huge extension.

Last edited:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
He has 5 points in 41 games and the worst 5on5 GA/60 on the defense behind even Tony Angelo while playing sheltered minutes. That is-a-center-of-the-galaxy-size black hole.

And that's still a lot better than what Fletcher did because as well as trading for a bad defenseman, he also gave that bad defenseman a huge extension.
Why do you keep quoting +/-? GF/GA is just +/- in a different format. Is that a valid measure of play?
Ghost is -7, Risto is -4, so guess Fletcher made the right move? ;)

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Out of curiosity, I decided to check out how the team is doing defensively at 5v5 compared to last season.

After all, the casuals and shills are swearing that the team is significantly better than last year. Torts has whipped them into shape, instilled accountability, improved effort, and forced players to play the right way.

Imagine my surprise...

At 5v5...2021-20222022-2023 (48 games)
Shot attempts against
(per 60)
Expected goals against
(per 60)
High Danger attempts against
(per 60)

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Out of curiosity, I decided to check out how the team is doing defensively at 5v5 compared to last season.

After all, the casuals and shills are swearing that the team is significantly better than last year. Torts has whipped them into shape, instilled accountability, improved effort, and forced players to play the right way.

Imagine my surprise...

At 5v5...2021-20222022-2023 (48 games)
Shot attempts against
(per 60)
Expected goals against
(per 60)
High Danger attempts against
(per 60)

Hahahah holy shit

So basically they've had better goaltending and that's the end of the story.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad