2022/23 Roster Thread XVII: The Days are Getting Longer

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
FLyers are 11-9-2 since Dec 7, when JVR returned, York came up and Allison returned a couple weeks later.

That's probably a good reflection of both the improvement and limitation of this team, Torts has them playing at a 85-90 point pace with a full roster, but I doubt there's much more he can get out of this group.

We'll know if the FO is still screwed up if they actually fool themselves into thinking they can garner a PO spot, they should move JVR, see if anyone wants MacEwen, Brown or Seeler, give Braun away, and promote the kids for the last 20 games. I doubt they can move Hayes or Provorov at the TDL, but there should be a market this summer. Hayes is showing he's a better LW than C at this point in his career, and can contribute to a PP1 as well.

This moves could garner 3 or 4 1st and 2nd rd picks and a prospect or two.
Add a young playmaking center and a RHD and this team could potentially crack the top 8 in a year or two.
A key is a healthy Couts, he's not going to be the same player he was at 26, but could be the veteran anchor that a young team needs.

Reactions: captainpaxil

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
FLyers are 11-9-2 since Dec 7, when JVR returned, York came up and Allison returned a couple weeks later.

That's probably a good reflection of both the improvement and limitation of this team, Torts has them playing at a 85-90 point pace with a full roster, but I doubt there's much more he can get out of this group.

We'll know if the FO is still screwed up if they actually fool themselves into thinking they can garner a PO spot, they should move JVR, see if anyone wants MacEwen, Brown or Seeler, give Braun away, and promote the kids for the last 20 games. I doubt they can move Hayes or Provorov at the TDL, but there should be a market this summer. Hayes is showing he's a better LW than C at this point in his career, and can contribute to a PP1 as well.

Add a young playmaking center and a RHD and this team could potentially crack the top 8 in a year or two.
A key is a healthy Couts, he's not going to be the same player he was at 26, but could be the veteran anchor that a young team needs.

The FO is still screwed up.

Reactions: Fight4yourRight

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com

At present, this FO is screwed up. It's why they haven't made any significant moves since the start of the season when it's obvious things needed to be done. The other side of that is, do you want this FO making any significant moves? If there's one thing that has been established, it is that Fletcher/Flahr consistently undervalue what they have when they make trades.
Moving JVR is a no brainer. Trading the likes of the Braun, Brown, MacEwan, etc. shouldn't be a problem. Take what you can get, bring up replacements from LV and move along. If all that the Flyers get in return with the deals for these types of players is minimal cap relief and open contract slots on the fifty, it's a win.
Where things get tricky is with Provorov and Hayes. Yet a creative GM could get these things done now. Hayes can score. There are teams looking to make the POs that could use that scoring now not in the summer (CAR?). The same is true with Provorov. Teams need defense now. When you read the reports on clubs around the league, the Flyers aren't the only ones that need to make moves. It's not too much to ask the Flyers FO to get after it and make things happen.

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I'm gonna copypaste this here as well, if its not allowed just remove the post. Repost from Provorov trade thread:

I was thinking about not posting this, because i don't want to be the dude who translates this and make Kimmo hated or something since in 2023 people like to turn every opinion into racism or whatever. But since he himself said "i can be public about this" i'll just go. Maybe HFBoards dont have many Lauren Boebert followers or other ignorant people who don't understand what is going on in Europe in here.

In this weeks podcast Kimmo Timonen said "I have had many russian teammates, but not too many of those were good guys." "And i don't know Ivan at all, but when the organisation backs the pride night, then every player supports it." "You have to stand behind the organization, i don't know if you can hide behind a religion on this."

Co-host: "There has been pics of him wearing all kinds of army support camo jerseys etc before" Kimmo: Well yeah no doubt."

Co-host: "NHL is already having trouble with the captain of Capitals, and what he stands for, and didn't really want this, and now they get Flyers to be the 2nd team for this story."

AND for a disclaimer, Timonen would 100% have wore that or back up to any minority whatsoever, so no need to twist my shit translation to something it isn't.

Kimmo also has been and always will be the man. I hope that one day, when the losers in charge move on, he becomes part of the management or coaching staff in some capacity.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
At present, this FO is screwed up. It's why they haven't made any significant moves since the start of the season when it's obvious things needed to be done. The other side of that is, do you want this FO making any significant moves? If there's one thing that has been established, it is that Fletcher/Flahr consistently undervalue what they have when they make trades.
Moving JVR is a no brainer. Trading the likes of the Braun, Brown, MacEwan, etc. shouldn't be a problem. Take what you can get, bring up replacements from LV and move along. If all that the Flyers get in return with the deals for these types of players is minimal cap relief and open contract slots on the fifty, it's a win.
Where things get tricky is with Provorov and Hayes. Yet a creative GM could get these things done now. Hayes can score. There are teams looking to make the POs that could use that scoring now not in the summer (CAR?). The same is true with Provorov. Teams need defense now. When you read the reports on clubs around the league, the Flyers aren't the only ones that need to make moves. It's not too much to ask the Flyers FO to get after it and make things happen.
It's really hard to move contracts with term at the TDL, b/c a team that can afford to take on a contract for the last 20 games (if they need an injury replacement, likely have LTIR cap room) may not want to fit that contract in the next couple seasons.

In the summer, it's easier to work out the cap ramifications and for teams to know what options they have.
So I'd wait unless someone "makes me an offer I can't refuse."

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Yet somehow moving Risto, Hayes and Deslauriers will be no issue.
Apples and oranges. TDL trades have their own logic, on an expiring contract at best you're paying 1/4 their salary, less with money retained, and PO comes at no cost.

Hayes in the summer, if he keeps up this scoring pace will have a strong market.
Risto in a couple years if he keeps up his current play could be moved with some money retained, there's always a market for big RHDs.
Deslauriers, maybe in a couple years if you eat $500K, there's always a few teams that feel they need a little "muscle."

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Lol.

I have to admit I was surprised by both when discussing the decision not to communicate what was going on with Provorov to business operations and ownership in advance of Pride night.

One of them said, “They’re on a need-to-know basis with us, and they didn’t need to know until they did.”

The other said, “(They) can be pissed off all (they) want. They don’t run hockey ops.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad