2022/23 Roster Thread XVI: Suite 16, Room for Improvement

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

prototypical4thliner

Jan 12, 2017
Yeah, definitely one of the worst.

Talking about how hard a player tries and their level of effort/compete is probably the one that drives me the most insane.

"It doesn't matter if he has bad puck skills, can't skate well, isn't too smart... at least he competes and never takes a shift off!"

No. That doesn't matter. That effort is worthless. You could find some random, 50 year old, borderline-obese, beer leaguer who will try so hard he'll almost die out there if you give him a chance. Does that mean it'd be acceptable to sign him and use him? With the argument these hockey guys make, you'd think so.
Or a prime zedeno chara. The minutes are 100% irrelevant—it’s what you accomplish with them that have merit.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Even Colorado plays Johnson and Manson and Englund.

Yes, it would be nice to field a bunch of ultra-talented mobile D-men who could hold up in the defensive end, but, uh, they're kinda rare.

TB won Cups with D-men like Cernak, Rutta, Foote, L Schenn and Savard.

What you'd like is 3 solid mobile D-men who can puck handle, and 3 reliable partners.
You probably aren't going to obtain and keep more than 3 mobile D-men for very long even in the best of cases.

And no, Zamula doesn't qualify, Andrae might, we'll see when he comes over.
Nor does Provorov, he has the requisite speed, but his puck handling is middle of the road.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I'm flashing back to the prior regime and the current regime both deciding the best thing would be the "grinder" playing in front of the net while the "skilled guy" wheeled around both sides. All it did was basically make them short handed by design. Not that it made much difference.

(Ghost/Hagg and Sanheim/Risto)
It’s always the “stay at home defensemen” who gets caught after a stupid decision in the offensive zone, leaving Ghost/Sanheim to defend the odd man rush.

That nonsense about how they play as a safety net to let the skill guys be more aggressive and risky has always been a lie.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
What's the alternative at center?

Laughton, looks worse at center than Cates, has only played well in the 4C role where he can focus on the forecheck.
Hayes, can't skate well enough in this scheme to play center
Brown, he's the 4C at least until Laczynski returns, and Laczynski hasn't shown much this year

Not a whole lot of options.

At least Cates is a top defensive center, which means he can slide into the 3C or 4C slot in the future if needed, though hopefully they'll obtain another center, Gauthier can stay at center and Couts returns near 100% next season, and Cates can move back to LW.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
Best case scenario is you get a return on investment for tony d. Unless he blows my mind he's moving
With jvr I'm pretty sure he lives in Jersey. I would be completely ok with him coming back on a series of one year deals to be repeatedly dealt at the deadline.
Provorov has big value but he's not immovable whereas I think laughton especially in the absence of cooter has more value to us than around the league. With him and tk you have to retain some talent

I'd be open to moving Hayes retained I think there's value for a 2/3c at 3.6 on a multi-year deal. I wouldn't buy him out and definitely wouldn't pay to move him.

I miss hextall and his shrewdness in shedding players. I'd have a lot more confidence in getting things done if he were the gm.
The thing is the players fans want moved are players the GM and coach love. That is the scary part to me.

Laughton missed time every year the last few. Part of the losing process. Would move him imo. When you say Ivan has big valu, what are you thinking?

Agree on your Hayes take.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
How much longer do we think it’ll take the Flyers to figure out that Noah Cates isn’t great at Center? Another 3 months?

The Flyers = the forcing a round peg into a square hole brigade
You don't think he should get a full year then re-evaluate?

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
Even Colorado plays Johnson and Manson and Englund.

Yes, it would be nice to field a bunch of ultra-talented mobile D-men who could hold up in the defensive end, but, uh, they're kinda rare.

TB won Cups with D-men like Cernak, Rutta, Foote, L Schenn and Savard.

What you'd like is 3 solid mobile D-men who can puck handle, and 3 reliable partners.
You probably aren't going to obtain and keep more than 3 mobile D-men for very long even in the best of cases.

And no, Zamula doesn't qualify, Andrae might, we'll see when he comes over.
Nor does Provorov, he has the requisite speed, but his puck handling is middle of the road.
Schenn, cernak, Johnson, Manson>risto/braun
England is only out there cus of injuries

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
And they could have moved Voracek a few years ago before his value turned negative and they had to settle for Atkinson.
Coulda, woulda, shoulda.

Danko

The Bearer of Bad Knees
Jul 28, 2004
Are there any writers that you guys actually like? Last one that i really followed was Chuck Gormley

Maurice of Orange

13:21 🏒🏒
Feb 5, 2016
2F592B6F-0EAC-4817-91BB-EE75772ADCE8.gif

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
And they could have moved Voracek a few years ago before his value turned negative and they had to settle for Atkinson.
Coulda, woulda, shoulda.

That's only because Chuck Fletcher was the one trading him. Maybe a competent GM could've gotten more/different than Atkinson.

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
No clue who that is. Does that put them back at 50 contracts again?
It looked like the Flyers were going to bring up Artem Anisimov to be #50 after Sedlak left the team. I guess not. Maybe they want Anisimov to work with the young guys in LV. AA should demand some serious compensation from the Flyers if he's kept at LV and not given the chance to get NHL time for reasons of pay and pension.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Rebels57
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad