2022/23 Roster Thread XVI: Suite 16, Room for Improvement

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
I think this deadline/summer tells us a lot of which way they are going to go.

There will likely be cap space available. If moves are made to try to quickly improve this thing, if guys like Provorov are moved for someone in a similar age bracket - hopes of a true rebuild are over.

If they chase someone like Dumba, etc. Nothing has changed.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Ultimately, it just feels like they are two years too late in realizing that this just isn't working.
The best thing about Torts is he's the first to come out and say it.

My biggest worry is he gets this team playing well in the second half, and the the FO does the same thing the dolt in CBJ did, confuse coaching up a mediocre team with building a good team - and trade assets and burn cap room to win now (trading for Panarin when he wasn't going to re-sign, trading for Duchene et al at the TDL).

A smart GM would look at what Torts is doing and think he's identified the keepers, but he's getting the most out of the current talent, so don't be fooled and keep adding young assets instead of pretending you can take this group up another notch.

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
I think this deadline/summer tells us a lot of which way they are going to go.

There will likely be cap space available. If moves are made to try to quickly improve this thing, if guys like Provorov are moved for someone in a similar age bracket - hopes of a true rebuild are over.

If they chase someone like Dumba, etc. Nothing has changed.

If Fletcher is the one making the deadline moves and draft day shenanigans, we're in for a world of pain my friend.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022

My biggest worry is he gets this team playing well in the second half, and the the FO does the same thing the dolt in CBJ did, confuse coaching up a mediocre team with building a good team - and trade assets and burn cap room to win now (trading for Panarin when he wasn't going to re-sign, trading for Duchene et al at the TDL).

A smart GM would look at what Torts is doing and think he's identified the keepers, but he's getting the most out of the current talent, so don't be fooled and keep adding young assets instead of pretending you can take this group up another notch.
Who would you rather have as GM, the dolt in Columbus or Chuck?

So if they go out and get vets do you not think Torts was/is part of that decision? Or is it the GM all on his own?

If Fletcher is the one making the deadline moves and draft day shenanigans, we're in for a world of pain my friend.
With what a month to go until the trade deadline do you really think it will not be Chuck making the choices ?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Who would you rather have as GM, the dolt in Columbus or Chuck?

So if they go out and get vets do you not think Torts was/is part of that decision? Or is it the GM all on his own?

With what a month to go until the trade deadline do you really think it will not be Chuck making the choices ?
Fletcher, he's more conservative, i"d rather limit the damage right now than dig a deeper hole.

Torts has made it clear building this team is a long-term project, so I doubt he'd want veterans.
He's never been afraid to play young players, he just isn't interested in baby sitting (i.e. playing a lot of kids who aren't NHL ready).
Look at this team, none of Frost, Tippett, Cates, Allison have held a starting NHL job, yet he's giving them starter roles, same with York.

He's got Couts coming back and Atkinson next year, so I doubt he feels any need for more veterans.

If they add veterans, it would be the FO pushing Fletcher to win down the stretch to sell tickets for next season.

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg

It’s funny, I’ll actually side a bit with dead here.

This is above Fletcher now. As much as I think he has a shit load of influence, there is a big direction that needs to be picked here. If the mandate, or agreed direction to rebuild is given - the pain will be lessened than say if it’s for another quick retool based on them believing Torts has righted the ship.

Fletcher is the wrong man either way, but I strongly fear moves upcoming that try to yet again ignore, and accelerate a much needed rebuild.

They need to accept sucking for the next few years. Nothing I’ve seen to Jan 11/2023, has shown me they are even close to doing so.

Fear the possibilities of men like Klingberg, Larkin, Horvat, O’Reilly, Tarasenko, Dumba, or Boeser, etc.

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019

Yeah, I actually enjoy Torts quite a bit. He's all over the map, he contradicts himself, he blows a fuse like every other day, he's erratic, he's emotional, and I'm enjoying the sideshow to what is a dreadful team. B

I agree - I think if this team finishes around bottom 10, Fletch will keep his job. They will reload, retool, or whatever other obtuse word they can find to conceal their ineptitude.

Even if Fletch is fired and Briere steps in, I'm not at all sold that he can do the job needed at this point in time. I am a big fan of Danny the player, and if he can become a successful GM for us or someone else in the future, I'm all for it. But right now, this team needs a GM that knows how to get things done.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
Fletcher, he's more conservative, i"d rather limit the damage right now than dig a deeper hole.

Torts has made it clear building this team is a long-term project, so I doubt he'd want veterans.
He's never been afraid to play young players, he just isn't interested in baby sitting (i.e. playing a lot of kids who aren't NHL ready).
Look at this team, none of Frost, Tippett, Cates, Allison have held a starting NHL job, yet he's giving them starter roles, same with York.

He's got Couts coming back and Atkinson next year, so I doubt he feels any need for more veterans.

If they add veterans, it would be the FO pushing Fletcher to win down the stretch to sell tickets for next season.
I take the dolt all day. What damage has chuck limited? Christ he has dug a huge whole from when he too over.

You didn't answer the question about Torts.

Will Torts have any say on personal decisions?

always deflecting for Chuck. Damn. This is Worse then the FFC.

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
This is your periodic reminder that if you buy tickets for games, buy official merch, and watch games legally..you should not be allowed to complain about the current state of the Flyers. You are part of the problem. Boycott for Change.

Watching the game on TV isn't really going to do anything either way. They already have their TV contract

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
I don't want to stop you, I want you stop of your own volition. Be the change you want to see in the world. #Boycott4Change

money-phone.gif

Tell the people that bought tickets from me. +25% on the season. It baffles me. Until that stops, I’ll keep making money off of this god forsaken franchise and take TV to a couple games a year in the process.

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
It’s funny, I’ll actually side a bit with dead here.

This is above Fletcher now. As much as I think he has a shit load of influence, there is a big direction that needs to be picked here. If the mandate, or agreed direction to rebuild is given - the pain will be lessened than say if it’s for another quick retool based on them believing Torts has righted the ship.

Fletcher is the wrong man either way, but I strongly fear moves upcoming that try to yet again ignore, and accelerate a much needed rebuild.

They need to accept sucking for the next few years. Nothing I’ve seen to Jan 11/2023, has shown me they are even close to doing so.

Fear the possibilities of men like Klingberg, Larkin, Horvat, O’Reilly, Tarasenko, Dumba, or Boeser, etc.

For sure, I can understand the argument from that point of view.

In the end, though, I just don't like the team Chuck has built, and I don't want him putting his stamp on anything else at this point. He's just not a savvy manager.

As for the rest of the cabal, I don't think that's an in-season kind of cleanse. Feels like an offseason thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad