2022/23 Roster Thread XVI: Suite 16, Room for Improvement

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chicken N Raffls

Here for the chaos and lolz
Nov 7, 2022
Douglassville
I don't think we should be nearly as confident as we are that using seasons as breakpoints is the best idea let alone chopping off 10 games because we've decided something happened.

StatMuse is the best way to do these queries unless you have a sports ref sub. I chopped off the 1x results.

image.png

I would call that an encouraging list.

By your bar graph thingy, you'd think McDavid was crazy better than everyone. Jokes on you, nerd. I don't see any rings on those fingers! Put that in your TI-11 and calculate it.

WZyhp7krw7W4U.gif

Also, I'm blaming you for Deady's line graphs. Happy Anniversary

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I've said nice things about Frost, he's in the same boat as Tippett, both have shown real improvement, now they have to continue that arc the second half, like I said months ago, they're very similar, talented underachievers who at 23 need to produce.

The first ten games were chaotic, but Torts was trying both to get players to buy into the scheme and to get a feel for chemistry, and injuries didn't help in terms of putting lines together.

MacEwen is a limited player, with Sedlak he was pretty solid, with Brown he's lost, Now they have three limited players on the 4th line whose skills are redundant instead of complementary. But they're placeholders. Laczynski will return at some point.

Lycksell is best served playing on the 1st line in LHV until JVR is traded, then there's an obvious spot in the top 9 for him.
Brink will push Aliison down b/c you're not moving TK and Tippett off the top 2 lines.
Desnoyers has the skill and experience to start at 4C or 4LW and PK, then move up the food chain.

But there's no rush, when they come up it's more to get a taste of the NHL to prepare for TC next fall.

Lycksell is best served acclimating to the NHL now so if a higher spot opens he can slot right in without needing an adjustment period. You know, that revolving door you were so sure would be there.

But you'll find a way to justify anything the team does, especially when it goes against what you spend months proclaiming would be best.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Lycksell is best served acclimating to the NHL now so if a higher spot opens he can slot right in without needing an adjustment period. You know, that revolving door you were so sure would be there.

But you'll find a way to justify anything the team does, especially when it goes against what you spend months proclaiming would be best.
Entry level job. 5 years experience required.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
Did you see when he wouldn't accept the Flyers had said that Hart had a concussion even after evidence was provided of the Flyers saying that Hart had a concussion?

Yikes, that cap between Frost and Cates at 5v5 is officially huge.

False

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
At the end of the day do total points trump pp/60?

In terms of quality of player, a resounding no, not really. If you can't see that points per 60 is something you'd definitely want to take a look at, especially when trying to project a younger player's ability to contribute with increased ice time, then there's no hope for you and no reason to continue this conversation. You're just being obtuse.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
There was a point where it was productive to prove these people wrong because it outted them as out and out trolls. We're well beyond that point now.

There's no productive conversation. With every clack of their keyboard, they contradict a previous statement they made. Every time they're proven wrong (and I do mean EVERY), they find some weird way to back out into something even more ridiculous. Save yourselves. Igor silent and move on, I beg you all.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I'm not sure why we'd look at anything other than total points when evaluating players or determining contracts.

Are you guys really going to sit there with a straight face and tell me that Sean Couturier is worth more than Zack MacEwen when they have the same amount of total points over the past 1.5 years? They're equals and if both were in need of a new contract you'd be a fool to not offer them the same amount.

I'm sick of people trying to add context to stuff when we already have the only answer that matters sitting right in front of us.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Ranger fan here
Justin Braun has zero pts
Is he looking ok or no trade value now ?
I’d take him back for depth . Maybe a Hajek back instead of a pick ?

• Haha
Reactions: Ironmanrulez

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
For those of us (like me) who haven’t been watching the team much at all, here is a Morgan Frost highlight video from December 2022:

He’s looking like his confident self when he was playing with the Soo. Very cool to see. Fascinating what happens when you put a skilled young player with other good/skilled players. It was glaringly obvious why he wasn’t scoring earlier. Quality of teammates matter SO MUCH when it comes to point production for players not named McDavid, Crosby, etc.

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
Ranger fan here
Justin Braun has zero pts
Is he looking ok or no trade value now ?
I’d take him back for depth . Maybe a Hajek back instead of a pick ?

He’s neither remotely good nor completely unplayable. If you would like a vet 6/7 D, please place one (1) mid-round draft pick in the appropriate slot and your transaction will be completed.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Braun is your basic "add veteran for depth" move for a playoff team.
He's no longer starter quality, but he's a better alternative than an AHL plus player with no playoff experience.
He can still be useful in a part-time or sheltered role if a starter goes down.

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
For those of us (like me) who haven’t been watching the team much at all, here is a Morgan Frost highlight video from December 2022:

He’s looking like his confident self when he was playing with the Soo. Very cool to see. Fascinating what happens when you put a skilled young player with other good/skilled players. It was glaringly obvious why he wasn’t scoring earlier. Quality of teammates matter SO MUCH when it comes to point production for players not named McDavid, Crosby, etc.

I think it has less to do with quality of linemates than just getting comfortable with the speed of the NHL game and no longer gliding through half his shifts. He's playing a lot harder off the puck than he did in previous years, and that has kept his head in games and also allowed him to flip the ice more often.

Frost has always flashed talent, but also disappeared for a lot of shifts and struggled in traffic. For some reason, he didn't trust his shot and over passed (teams see that on film and focus on taking away passing lanes). He's also relying less on speed and more on agility, that is, he's learned he can't out skate NHL players on a regular basis, but you can "stop and start" and create space.

A player like Frost should be less dependent on linemates b/c he should be controlling the puck and making plays, not waiting for his linemates to set him up. You'd expect Cates or Laughton to be more dependent on linemates b/c they lack the skills to drive play.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
So... having no one to set up is a non-issue? Or am I misreading this.
You always have someone to set up, Raffl scored 20 goals on the first line, Crosby made Sheary into a scorer.

You'll score less b/c lesser players won't finish scoring chances, but you'll still be generating scoring chances which should be reflected in advanced metrics.

Then you have Tippett, who struggles at times to finish, but creates his share of scoring chances, which makes his linemates look better on advanced metrics.

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
I think it has less to do with quality of linemates than just getting comfortable with the speed of the NHL game and no longer gliding through half his shifts. He's playing a lot harder off the puck than he did in previous years, and that has kept his head in games and also allowed him to flip the ice more often.

Frost has always flashed talent, but also disappeared for a lot of shifts and struggled in traffic. For some reason, he didn't trust his shot and over passed (teams see that on film and focus on taking away passing lanes). He's also relying less on speed and more on agility, that is, he's learned he can't out skate NHL players on a regular basis, but you can "stop and start" and create space.

A player like Frost should be less dependent on linemates b/c he should be controlling the puck and making plays, not waiting for his linemates to set him up. You'd expect Cates or Laughton to be more dependent on linemates b/c they lack the skills to drive play.
🤣🤣🤣🤣😂😂😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad