2022/23 Roster Thread XIX: 19th Nervous Breakdown

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
Trying to compare Cates and Frost is like comparing apples to oranges . Frost is the far superior skills guy but his brain has to catch up with his hands and feet . Point and case , last night he enters the offensive zone with the puck spins back and throws a pass right to the Detroit guy who in turns goes right down and scores their only goal they got . He makes some high skill passes and plays but needs to make the safer play in certain situations . With playing time I think and hope this will come around .
Last nights turnover I don’t think was too egregious; he’s made worse turnovers before. To me the play last night was more a mis communication between him and Provy.

He stops at the blue line and wants to give the puck to Provy as the trailer, but Provy turns his head and moves right. If Provy continues going straight he would have gotten the puck with space, and in a strong goal scoring position. Now, Frost needs to recognize the pull up, but the there was an offensive play there that should have been made.

31FA9815-1B65-4530-B413-5BAE23F21090.jpeg

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Now Torts is a moron & Chuck is dumb FOR using analytics.

For F’s sake.

There was nothing in Al Capone’s vault.
But it wasn’t Geraldo’s fault.
D’oh!

You are lying. That's all you are able to do these days. It's sad. You are humiliating yourself.

Tortorella thinks Barkov is better than McDavid. That's moronic, isn't it?

Larry44

#FlyersPerpetualMediocrity
Mar 1, 2002
You are right. I’m not saying I am smarter than everyone else, and I’m not trying to pick a fight. I’ve been on this board probably longer than anyone here.
I have you beat by six days, IM! Mar 1, 2002. Always appreciate your tone. I gave up on the two verbal diarrhea boys DH and GB a couple years ago, makes the threads a lot more manageable to read.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Tort's loves his D side smarts so thinks the more he puts him out in offensive role that he will learn it . Problem is he has never been a skill guy or had and offense at any higher level . If you gave him Allisons mins and ice time usage he would not have 10 points this year . Square peg round hole .

Hopefully with time Frost can figure things out and become a decent second line center and Tort's is smart enough to figure out Cates and put him in his proper spot .

I thought the other day vs the Rangers when he put Frost with Tippet and Farabee that is a potential second line going Forward and had Cates with Laughton and Allison that is a good shut down third line that could chip in here and there . It lasted one game and Tort's with all his wisdom f***s it up the next game as usual .
You're forgetting there aren't a lot of options at center.
Hayes has struggled there, Laughton is a 3C at best and better suited to LW.

So Torts juggles Frost and Cates, he gives Cates the toughest defensive assignment and that frees up Frost to play more of an offensive role. Cates is probably better offensively at wing (as is Laughton) b/c he has fewer defensive responsibilities there, but we have more capable wings than centers right now.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
So now the Torts/Fletcher shills are just going to make completely baseless assumptions about how this unknown app works?

We know it uses analytics?

For all we know it could be assigning value based on basic worthless dinosaur-approved things like blocks, hits, and +/-. Or it could be raw point totals. Or it could use no stats at all.

God damn, some people are just too comfortable being dishonest. :laugh:

All we know for a fact is Fletcher has only made bad trades and almost every single one has gone AGAINST what analytics show makes sense. We also know his own analytics staff told him NOT to do the Ristolainen trade.

eramosat

Dec 19, 2015
Toronto
So now the Torts/Fletcher shills are just going to make completely baseless assumptions about how this unknown app works?

For all we know it could be assigning value based on basic worthless dinosaur-approved things like blocks, hits, and +/-. Or it could be raw point totals. Or it could use no stats at all.

All we know for a fact is Fletcher has only made bad trades and almost every single one has gone AGAINST what analytics show makes sense. We also know his own analytics staff told him NOT to do the Ristolainen trade.
let's be fair...when all those other GMs also confirmed they were using apps to help them with the deadline deals, this made a lot more sense. Right?

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013

Yeah some how an app = analytics.

Clearly someone knows nothing about computer science and computer programming.

Their app could be some poorly written nonsense. Fletcher has however made it known that he ignores what the analytics department says.

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
You're forgetting there aren't a lot of options at center.
Hayes has struggled there, Laughton is a 3C at best and better suited to LW.

So Torts juggles Frost and Cates, he gives Cates the toughest defensive assignment and that frees up Frost to play more of an offensive role. Cates is probably better offensively at wing (as is Laughton) b/c he has fewer defensive responsibilities there, but we have more capable wings than centers right now.
He is no better offensively at wing . I watched him play live at Duluth 3 different weekends so 6 games and saw him play at UND as well plus in Omaha { USHL} . He is not an offensive player end of story . He is smart and responsible defensively .

IronMarshal

Mar 7, 2002
Langhorne, PA
Visit site
I have you beat by six days, IM! Mar 1, 2002. Always appreciate your tone. I gave up on the two verbal diarrhea boys DH and GB a couple years ago, makes the threads a lot more manageable to read.
Larry, I am sorry I forgot to mention you. Appreciate your posts as well. And I go back to the old HF board circa 91-92. Like Macliesh, Sawdalite (don’t know where he went, hope he is well)and deadhead, I am really old, 65 this September.

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
Larry, I am sorry I forgot to mention you. Appreciate your posts as well. And I go back to the old HF board circa 91-92. Like Macliesh, Sawdalite (don’t know where he went, hope he is well)and deadhead, I am really old, 65 this September.
Oh my God, deadhead has been spewing his garbage since the 90s? That's absolutely hilarious.

Larry44

#FlyersPerpetualMediocrity
Mar 1, 2002
Not an issue, my friend. I go back to Mike Barr's original O&B Board and before that, the alt.hockey.nhl.philadelphia-flyers.net usegroup!

I'm still FB friends with Mike Barr, have kept touch with Dave Kilgore and, of course, people may not realize that Bill Meltzer got his start writing game reviews there, in the days before satellite TV. Kids these days don't know how lucky they are! We could only get game summaries in the paper and some highlights on TV, but we relied on those detailed written summaries to know how the games went.

Now you can watch all the games, and see the video summaries right after. Unfortunately, they aren't worth watching, but at least they are there...

Oh my God, deadhead has been spewing his garbage since the 90s? That's absolutely hilarious.
I'm not sure that's right. I think Deadhead is only a few years on here, isn't he? You can check the dates, he's a pup.

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
Geniune q - I think Chuck was talking about the analytics formula their department uses for compensation right? Didn't they reference this after the DeAngelo trade? It ain't working right lmao

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Not an issue, my friend. I go back to Mike Barr's original O&B Board and before that, the alt.hockey.nhl.philadelphia-flyers.net usegroup!

I'm still FB friends with Mike Barr, have kept touch with Dave Kilgore and, of course, people may not realize that Bill Meltzer got his start writing game reviews there, in the days before satellite TV. Kids these days don't know how lucky they are! We could only get game summaries in the paper and some highlights on TV, but we relied on those detailed written summaries to know how the games went.

Now you can watch all the games, and see the video summaries right after. Unfortunately, they aren't worth watching, but at least they are there...

I'm not sure that's right. I think Deadhead is only a few years on here, isn't he? You can check the dates, he's a pup.
I had a different user name, but couldn't use it when boards changed, or when I moved (new ISP address). Not sure why, maybe I lost the password and it wouldn't let me change.

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
We didn't miss the play-offs in consecutive seasons for a long time. At least they had the pretence of being a professional organisation. It was significantly better than... this.
Anything is better than the idiots running the team today, but let’s face it, this team has been a contender since 2010. Worse yet, they haven’t been a top team for any stretch of time since the mid to late 90s.

If you ranked the top 100 players in the NHL, the only Flyer who would likely make that list is Konecny. And he would be much closer to #100 than #50, let alone #1. The only thing lacking more than talent in this organization is the complete and total lack of awareness at the top.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
We didn't miss the play-offs in consecutive seasons for a long time. At least they had the pretence of being a professional organisation. It was significantly better than... this.
Some of that was good luck seasons, Mason having a career year, the move of G to LW giving them a premier 1st line for a couple seasons, AV pushing players to play above their norm for one year.

Problem was none of this was sustainable (the Couts line did not age like the "Perfection Line", Mason never got his mojo back, AV got tuned out when the team hit adversity) - just cost them high draft picks.

ponder719

The same New Era as before
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Have we considered that this app is just iMessage and he checks it while trying to craft trades because has other GMs telling him what his players are worth? You know… like the ones he’s trading with?

That would certainly explain why he exclusively loses value with every single action he takes.
It's a screensaver.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad