2022/23 Roster Thread XIV: Season's Beatings

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chicken N Raffls

Here for the chaos and lolz
Nov 7, 2022
Douglassville
I just indoctrinated my son into this movie this morning. Him giggling as Marv gets bricked repeatedly was a highlight of the year for me.

It's a powerful movie. That film would never punt.

The bare feet popping all the ornaments is so ridiculously brutal.

I also enjoy how 1 and 2 are a fantastic exploration of the theme of Hubris
Cartoon violence is still the best.

Hextallent63

Oct 13, 2011
Risto hasn't been the problem since he returned. xGF 49.79%, GF/GA 8/6.
You need another scapegoat.

Last 15 games, guys on the ice for most GA, Hayes (16), Tippett (15) TDA, Sanheim (14), Provorov (12), TK 10 in 9g.
risto is at best nick seeler, but a multi-millionaire. saying he hasn't been the problem isn't defending him, but there is no defending him concerning his salary, skill and impact on the ice.

Hextallent63

Oct 13, 2011
Still means he's not the biggest problem.

Provorov was much worse than Risto, there's something wrong with that boy, I think the core problem is bad habits of years of being told to play it safe and throw the puck off the boards - teams play the Flyers and know their tendencies - Shaw is trying to break them of that, but there's a general tendency to panic and make blind passes instead of hitting players to exit the D-zone.

If your ascribing blame for losing, actual goals are more important than projected goals.
If your trying to judge how a player is playing, independent of luck and teammates, then you turn to advanced metrics.
your right. i see provorov trying to do things different then the last few years and he keeps messing up. his timing is off too. he trys to be level headed and make the right plays but gets caught and forces bad turnovers and gets caught taking too long to do things and all of a sudden he is getting pressure and the puck is at his feet. with that being said, if he doesnt get his shit together by the end of the season or at least take some big strides, i thing its time to say good bye. at that point i think he will be lost and finish his career as an ok second pairing dman. he is one of the players, like hart, that are affected the most by playing for a shit heap team year after year.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Provorov’s issue is being told to be too safe for years now? Huh? He’s always had a blank check to do whatever he wants, at all strengths, and that has yielded a risky style over structure. And without the real high skill/creativity to warrant such. I can’t imagine a more comfortable situation with which to experiment.

He’s a fine player better slotted on a playoff caliber team, but I’ve never once thought he rose above the play of the team, even for a time period. Like Konecny or Sanheim or Couturier. He’s played to the level of the mess around him, sometimes below. And from your #1, it’s a major reason why this team is stuck in the mud. And it surely isn’t because he throws too many pucks off the boards.

Last edited:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Torts keeps the pressure on the FO:

"Jersey has, over the years, stockpiled some talent, grown it, has been a very quick team the past few years anyway," Tortorella said Saturday morning. "I think they're playing with a ton of confidence right now, they've got speed, a number of different things going for them."

Led by Hughes, New Jersey's top three scorers are 24 years old or younger.

"You hope you draft well, you're patient with it," Tortorella said. "They've gone through hell over there in Jersey, but they were patient, they kept on going. You just never know when that talent, they start turning into pros, when it starts maturing. But you need to stay patient with it. I think the organization has done a terrific job and now they have something really going for them."

It's hard to sell an "aggressive reload" when your HC consistently lobbies for a long-term rebuild.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Torts keeps the pressure on the FO:

"Jersey has, over the years, stockpiled some talent, grown it, has been a very quick team the past few years anyway," Tortorella said Saturday morning. "I think they're playing with a ton of confidence right now, they've got speed, a number of different things going for them."

Led by Hughes, New Jersey's top three scorers are 24 years old or younger.

"You hope you draft well, you're patient with it," Tortorella said. "They've gone through hell over there in Jersey, but they were patient, they kept on going. You just never know when that talent, they start turning into pros, when it starts maturing. But you need to stay patient with it. I think the organization has done a terrific job and now they have something really going for them."

It's hard to sell an "aggressive reload" when your HC consistently lobbies for a long-term rebuild.

It's hard for you to sell this Tortorella Builder Bob story when his own actions repeatedly run contrary to the narrative

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
It's hard for you to sell this Tortorella Builder Bob story when his own actions repeatedly run contrary to the narrative
You still ascribe to the myth that rebuilds start by stripping a team of every veteran and starting a bunch of kids.
Except no one actually does that.

Anaheim: Henrique (32), Strome (29), Fowler (31), Kulikov (32), Klingberg (30), Shattenkirk (34), Silfverberg (32), Grant (32), Beaulieu (30), Carrick (30)

Chicago: Kane (34), Toews (34), McCabe (29), T Johnson (32), J Johnson (36), Murphy (29), Blackwell (29), Mrazek (30)

Even Arizona, where the youth movement is more a matter of frugality than rebuilding:
Ghost (29), Bjugstad (30), Boyd (29), Brown (29), Nemeth (30), Kassain (32)

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
You still ascribe to the myth that rebuilds start by stripping a team of every veteran and starting a bunch of kids.

Anaheim: Henrique (32), Strome (29), Fowler (31), Kulikov (32), Klingberg (30), Shattenkirk (34), Silfverberg (32), Grant (32), Beaulieu (30), Carrick (30)

Chicago: Kane (34), Toews (34), McCabe (29), T Johnson (32), J Johnson (36), Murphy (29), Blackwell (29), Mrazek (30)

Even Arizona, where the youth movement is more a matter of frugality than rebuilding:

And there's the strawman arguments.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Still waiting for one single sign that they’re rebuilding because so far there hasn’t been one.

In fact, they’ve exclusively done the exact opposite by throwing away assets, signing more awful vet contracts, and burying youth behind trash older players with no future.

This is as far from rebuilding as a team can get.

On top of all that, their drafting has been horrendous since Fletcher took over.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Still waiting for one single sign that they’re rebuilding because so far there hasn’t been one.

In fact, they’ve exclusively done the exact opposite by throwing away assets, signing more awful vet contracts, and burying youth behind trash older players with no future.

This is as far from rebuilding as a team can get.

On top of all that, their drafting has been horrendous since Fletcher took over.

Every time Laczynski is scratched it tells you these people don't even know how to recognize their own ideal player when he presents himself. They're way more concerned about veteran presence. You can't rebuild like that. Sacrificing a better player to play a worse one just for fake intangibles is incompatible with rebuilding.

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL

Until recently, both Anaheim and Chicago thought they were competitive teams and Arizona only has vets in its lineup because they need to reach the cap floor and they acquired some cap dumps to accumulate picks (something you can't do when your idiot GM has your team cap strapped)

Your attempts to justify Cuck's actions are really getting more and more pathetic each and every day.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I was also unsure about how two teams who, like the Flyers, were wildly wrong about where they were, and another one that is a step away from filling a YMCA pool with bagged ice as their rink, are favorable or functional comparison points.

But I didn't bother addressing it because the whole thing was built on a nonsense opening sentence.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad