2022/23 Roster Thread XIII: Where the 13th Floor Has Been Located

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Another hill to die on.

I’ll believe ASF on this one that it was in fact other elements of the Flyers that pushed for the hiring of Torts.

You’ve got a shitty GM to begin with, that’s managed to keep his job by catering to the various factions in Flyers sphere - primarily the old guard/alumni.

He’s a POS that needs to be fired, but this summer was not by the design of Chuck Fletcher. No way in hell. The stench is too familiar.

It’s why he will stay on as president the day they move up Danny. He’s played the country club game perfectly.

Clarke was giddy over Tortorella and all the torture he hoped he'd inflict. Clarke cares more about harming players than anything else. He's bitter old scum.

And if your post is true, Fletcher is the ultimate coward for not resigning.

Chinatown88

Daniels QB3
Jan 17, 2012
The Universe
smoking.gif

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
Clarke was giddy over Tortorella and all the torture he hoped he'd inflict. Clarke cares more about harming players than anything else. He's bitter old scum.

And if your post is true, Fletcher is the ultimate coward for not resigning.

It’s worked in their eyes. You can bet your ass on that. People think Coatsey in that roundtable is just a goofy sideshow, I’d bet solid money there are elements of the Flyers management/advisory team that think like he does.

Fletcher isn’t coming from the land of silver spoons up his ass, and beautiful Minnesota - to magically quadrupling down on the Flyers BSB persona years into his tenure.

I would do bad things to find out what the power dynamics are like on this team.

As Scott praised them like a giddy school girl, they are the most collaborative group he’s ever seen. Or whatever BS he said.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
He used last 11 games, I used 10 games as the break in period, b/c after that there's a real shift in 5x5.

Those last 9 games, CF 50.07%, xGF 48.84%
which is pretty decent given the lineups they've had to use due to injuries.

The two problems at 5x5 are too many mistakes leading to odd man rushes, and trying to finish when the majority of your forwards are "puck challenged."

STs are a bigger problem, but one I don't think will be solved for a while, PK will be rough with Laughton and TK out, PP with JVR out.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
He used last 11 games, I used 10 games as the break in period, b/c after that there's a real shift in 5x5.

Those last 9 games, CF 50.07%, xGF 48.84%
which is pretty decent given the lineups they've had to use due to injuries.

The two problems at 5x5 are too many mistakes leading to odd man rushes, and trying to finish when the majority of your forwards are "puck challenged."

STs are a bigger problem, but one I don't think will be solved for a while, PK will be rough with Laughton and TK out, PP with JVR out.
You said the quiet part out loud.

Hextallent63

Oct 13, 2011
I just can’t see it… idk why.

we had two 10 game losing streaks last year and we are approaching another one. A few of these this year have to result in some action, right?! Or am I just way too optomistic for change lol?
what was said above. they already have their excuse for any shortcoming as far a player management as a whole goes. im sure much of the chit chat in the office is, waa waaaa injuries, poor us.

Reactions: flyerslducks

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I'm still trying to find out what kind of team they're trying to build. We keep hearing about how to play the game 'right', but what the 'right' way to play the game? I look at teams like Colorado and Tampa Bay and see players that can skate and handle the puck and don't play a trap/ dump and chase system. Then I watch Boston and I see a physical and skilled team. But I watch the Flyers and I just see a team that's an absolute mess. There's no distinct style they're trying to create. We just hear play hard and grind. That's not an identity, game plan or how to build a team. That's just an excuse for 'we have no f***ing idea what we're doing, so we'll use a bunch of catch phrases to sell it to the masses.'
Torts has a very distinctive style, a 2 man aggressive forecheck is the key element.
Even teams that have skilled players do a lot of forechcking, think Goodrow - Guorde - Coleman on TB.

Only a few players are consistently able to skate/pass the puck into the O-zone, for the rest Torts wants them to try to enter, but if blocked, throw it in deep and go chase like a rabid dog. ANd he wants his D-men to aggressively pinch and attack in the D-zone

The flip side is you have to rotate the third forward to cover when a D-man does get deep in the O-zone, and every one has to back check hard to limit the opposing offense's window of opportunity on odd man rushes.

It would be nice if all four lines had playmakers and sharp shooters, but there aren't that many to go around, but even if your bottom six can't score, if they can bottle up the other team in their own D-zone they can keep them from scoring.

Right now it's limited because the players are limited, they can "play hard and grind" but there just isn't enough skill with all their scorers injured to generate much offense. It is what it is.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
His distinctive style excludes risky east-west passes so you won't get modern offensive rushes and entries that jam the puck at the defense to force mistakes. You'll get aggressive perimeter play.

It's an important reason why his teams don't actually produce the expected offense.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
CBJ
2016-17: ES 195 goals, league average 170
2017-18: ES 193 goals, league average 183
2018-19: ES 212 goals, league average 189

Kelmitchell2

Aug 30, 2020
CBJ
2016-17: ES 195 goals, league average 170
2017-18: ES 193 goals, league average 183
2018-19: ES 212 goals, league average 189
How about the other 2 decades of coaching? Or better yet his last coaching gig in Vancouver, you always leave that one out, is that too small of a sample size? Because 14 playoff games were enough to use for ghost but the 60 games in Vancouver isn't enough for torts?

Reactions: Cody Webster

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
How about the other 2 decades of coaching? Or better yet his last coaching gig in Vancouver, you always leave that one out
One year doesn't allow you to identify any patterns, other than a dislike of the Sedin brothers. :popcorn:

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
In 2019 Fletcher had a better core than Hextall did in 2015

G (31), Couturier (27), Voracek (30), JVR (30), Konecny (22), Farabee (19), Laughton (25),
Provorov (22), Sanheim (23), Ghost (26), Hagg (24)
Hart (21) in goal
Turning that into a dumpster fire on a team with no real future in 3 seasons is truly an impressive fate.

I can't imagine why when it works every time...
"You're putting out the bait that I take every time, and probably getting a rise out of it. Why?"

Reactions: Rebels57

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
In 2019 Fletcher had a better core than Hextall did in 2015

G (31), Couturier (27), Voracek (30), JVR (30), Konecny (22), Farabee (19), Laughton (25),
Provorov (22), Sanheim (23), Ghost (26), Hagg (24)
Hart (21) in goal
You got to be kidding me!

Voracek's last good season was 2019, downhill since.
Ghost has padded his stats in Zona, but is no longer a top 4 D-man. Hagg is a #6 D-man.
The rest were in Philly and they still sucked the last two years.

The 2015 core was younger and deeper.
And Hextall had that core after he moved Coburn and Kimmo for picks.

Nor did Fletcher have tradeable assets, he could have moved Laughton, that was about it, unless you did a complete tear down and traded G and Couts - JVR, Voracek and Ghost had no trade value.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
When you have to rewrite history it's.a bad sign. When rewritten history doesn't even work to defend the guy you're trying to defend because he's still failed either way, it's just pointless.

Reactions: Cody Webster

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
“It’s Hextalls fault that Fletcher took roster on the rise”

A roster “on the rise.”

LMAO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad