2022/23 Roster Thread XIII: Where the 13th Floor Has Been Located

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Is this your weird fake sarcasm bit again? It gets really hairy parsing what you are actually saying when your new horrendous takes so badly contradict your older horrendous takes.
Of course it's sarcastic. How can I not be when everyone here inflates every argument to an extreme position.

Fletcher hasn't done a good job, but anyone who thinks the collapse of this franchise was due to his trades is an ostrich with his head in the sand. This was a decade long process, driven by Holmgren (Clarke) and their unwillingness to bite the bullet and truly rebuild instead of constantly patching the team into the playoffs and then disappointment. They haven't stressed adding young talent for a decade.

The second problem was nepotism, as someone pointed out, this franchise is full of "lifers" who've been in the same position for decades, there has been a lack of accountability from the top to the players. This is the downside of running a franchise like it's one big family, you put up with the idiot uncle and the ne'er do well nephew.

The third problem is nostalgia, one of the ironies of hiring Torts is that he isn't Berube and Haskol with their emphasis on defense, or even AV. And that is the one hope going forward. Yes, he stresses fundamentals, such as shot blocking, back checking and being careful with the puck, but he also stresses an aggressive forecheck that depends on skating, and D-men attacking in the O-zone. And by telling the truth, to the FO, his players and the media, he's ended the era of cliches and excuses and false hope.

This team has been slow and weak, a bad combination in today's NHL. They're faster and more physical, they just need to add more skill, some from getting players back from injury, some from drafting high, some from developing some prospects. It'll take time, but at least one person in the organization has a coherent vision, hopefully new blood will come in that shares that vision.

• Love
Reactions: captainpaxil

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
giphy.gif

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Torts sounds very reasonable, understands that contracts may mean it takes a year or two to move out players who don't fit, but he's making a list. But it's also why he's going to play a lot of the veterans right now, he needs to assess who he wants to keep, and probably do his best at making some of the players he doesn't want to be marketable (or cheaper to dump).

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto
There are only 4 conceivable reasons that one could defend Cuck
1. You’re employed by the Flyers
2. You’re an immediate relative of Cuck
3. You’re an imbecile
4. You’re a troll

Choose wisely

I think the instructions need to let someone pick all that apply because if you're 1, you're likely also 2-4. Similarly, if you're 2, you're also likely 1, 3, & 4. 3 and 4 are more open-ended.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Imagine putting together a team with no cap space, no prospects, and no contract slots.

That’s just mystifyingly bad.
Typically when GMs are in that situation it’s when they’re going all-in to compete and are a legit contender. :laugh: Fletchers instead built the worst team in the league and gave up the future to so it.

He really couldn’t be any worse unless he started giving away assets for nothing.

Oh wait… he does that too. And worse yet, he gives assets away for negative value.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Imagine putting together a team with no cap space, no prospects, and no contract slots.

That’s just mystifyingly bad.
That started with Hextall, contracts for G ($8.25), Voracek ($8.25), Ghost ($4.5) and JVR ($7) ate the cap space.

And those prospects? After TK, Sanheim, Provorov and Hart, Farabee is the only one to make an impact the last three seasons. That with 8 1st and 6 2nd rd picks and 3-5 years for them to arrive.

Like I said, Fletcher didn't start the fire (he did feed the bonfire of the vanities).

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
That started with Hextall, contracts for G ($8.25), Voracek ($8.25), Ghost ($4.5) and JVR ($7) ate the cap space.

And those prospects? After TK, Sanheim, Provorov and Hart, Farabee is the only one to make an impact the last three seasons. That with 8 1st and 6 2nd rd picks and 3-5 years for them to arrive.

Like I said, Fletcher didn't start the fire (he did feed the bonfire of the vanities).
It’s 2022.

No matter how bad you want it Fletcher isn’t going to date you.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
Of course it's sarcastic. How can I not be when everyone here inflates every argument to an extreme position.

Fletcher hasn't done a good job, but anyone who thinks the collapse of this franchise was due to his trades is an ostrich with his head in the sand. This was a decade long process, driven by Holmgren (Clarke) and their unwillingness to bite the bullet and truly rebuild instead of constantly patching the team into the playoffs and then disappointment. They haven't stressed adding young talent for a decade.

The second problem was nepotism, as someone pointed out, this franchise is full of "lifers" who've been in the same position for decades, there has been a lack of accountability from the top to the players. This is the downside of running a franchise like it's one big family, you put up with the idiot uncle and the ne'er do well nephew.

The third problem is nostalgia, one of the ironies of hiring Torts is that he isn't Berube and Haskol with their emphasis on defense, or even AV. And that is the one hope going forward. Yes, he stresses fundamentals, such as shot blocking, back checking and being careful with the puck, but he also stresses an aggressive forecheck that depends on skating, and D-men attacking in the O-zone. And by telling the truth, to the FO, his players and the media, he's ended the era of cliches and excuses and false hope.

This team has been slow and weak, a bad combination in today's NHL. They're faster and more physical, they just need to add more skill, some from getting players back from injury, some from drafting high, some from developing some prospects. It'll take time, but at least one person in the organization has a coherent vision, hopefully new blood will come in that shares that vision.
Congratulations, you've finally arrived to roughly the same conclusions the rest of us reached 4+ years ago. I have to say, trying to co-opt the opposition's talking points during the argument but without pivoting back a la Buggs Bunny is quite the ploy, if completely daft. Seriously, I don't know whether to clap my hands or bang my head into the wall at the sheer f***ing audacity of this shit. Regardless, I'll accept it as the admission of defeat it so clearly is.

Also, Torts ain't saving shit, he's a dinosaur just like the rest of them, and Chuck is the worst of them. Clarke and Holmgren (and Hextall for that matter) despite their myriad flaws all occasionally made a shrewd move from time to time. Meanwhile, everything Chuck has done has been George Constanza-level wrong. If only Chuck had done the opposite of everything he thought to do, he could have been the greatest GM in sports history. I look forward to the post-Chuck era when you finally catch up to the rest of us on this point as well, even if as now you'll never deign to acknowledge it.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

Well his moves and leadership are directly responsible for the team's current state. Not Hextall's. So yes it is his fault.

Fletcher is the general manager of the team. He has been for 4 years. Not AV, not Tortorella, not Hextall, not Holmgren. Fletcher actually has more management power consolidated to himself than any other management figure in team history. If anything that means he owns even more of the blame.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Torts sounds very reasonable, understands that contracts may mean it takes a year or two to move out players who don't fit, but he's making a list. But it's also why he's going to play a lot of the veterans right now, he needs to assess who he wants to keep, and probably do his best at making some of the players he doesn't want to be marketable (or cheaper to dump).

Torts may not be popular with some fans but, IMO, he gets some things right. First of all, you do get people into the building best by winning, not gimmicks.
Secondly, his statement on roster make up of "It's not that I don't like him, get him out of here." That is the opposite of AV's stance. If Torts would have been here, Ghost would still be here and maybe others as well. That drunk may be gone but his damage to the club carries on. The Flyers would be in a much better position of Vigneault had never been hired.

Reactions: BiggE

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
Well his moves and leadership are directly responsible for the team's current state. Not Hextall's. So yes it is his fault.

Fletcher is the general manager of the team. He has been for 4 years. Not AV, not Tortorella, not Hextall, not Holmgren. Fletcher actually has more management power consolidated to himself than any other management figure in team history. If anything that means he owns even more of the blame.
The only person who had the power that Cuck has (other than ownership) was Clarke when he was President/GM. And, since Cuck is basically a dingleberry dangling off Clarke’s ass it makes sense in a twisted and utterly disgusting way.

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
Friedman's tweet is a tad confusing. Is he saying going for the best draft pick possible is not what people want? And does he mean management or fans or both?

The next part is disturbing though - that management feels adding more veteran presence is what's needed.

If they don't get it at this point, I'm not sure they ever will. This is a golden opportunity to land a franchise player.

What possible motivation is there to add veteran help? There is no chance they make the playoffs, so that's not it. Veterans *will* be coming back soon anyway... so what is the fascination with Anisimov?

They seemingly never make the right call.

1669916484137.png

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
The only person who had the power that Cuck has (other than ownership) was Clarke when he was President/GM. And, since Cuck is basically a dingleberry dangling off Clarke’s ass it makes sense in a twisted and utterly disgusting way.

And Clarke always had the ever-attentive Snider. Fletcher has no Snider over him, and the advisors have exactly as much influence as he chooses to let them have.

Reactions: Redpath and BiggE
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad