2022/23 Roster Thread XIII: Where the 13th Floor Has Been Located

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
How awful do you guys think this season is going to get without even really sniffing the bottom of the standings and missing out on Bedard and probably winding up with like 9th pick or some shit?

Serious question, is this the worst era in Flyers history?

landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018
How awful do you guys think this season is going to get without even really sniffing the bottom of the standings and missing out on Bedard and probably winding up with like 9th pick or some shit?

IMO yes (started seriously following the team after richards/carter calder cup run)

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019

Yes, and the salary cap makes it worse because the Flyers can no longer buy their way out of awfulness.

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
Torts is really showing he has no clue what the hell he's doing, actually compared frost to a toilet seat
I did watch the full interview from today. While I don't like the comparison, he did say some nice things about Frost. He recognized his skill, and said something along the lines of keep putting them out there and let them make mistakes...Now that wasn't what happened with him early in the season when he was demoted to the 4th line, sat him for 1/2 a period, then sat him for a whole game...

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
I did watch the full interview from today. While I don't like the comparison, he did say some nice things about Frost. He recognized his skill, and said something along the lines of keep putting them out there and let them make mistakes...Now that wasn't what happened with him early in the season when he was demoted to the 4th line, sat him for 1/2 a period, then sat him for a whole game...
make no mistake Frost is only playing due to injuries... soon as a old dog is available Frost will be yanked for "needs to show more" mouth garbage

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Pretty much what he's done with all the skill players, emphasizing playing off the puck.
He hasn't exactly played favorites in that regard, benched TK for a period, has been riding Hayes.
Poor poor Morgan.

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
the smart thing would be to listen on everyone not named..what Hart at this point ...get rid of the whole stink of a team including executives...

please someone come buy this team

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Torts isn’t exactly the reincarnation of Fred Shero but after Gordon, Hakstol, Vigneault, and Yeo, I see an improvement behind the bench. I don’t care if he’s not up for sexy plays. If your guys can’t even make the basic ones, why should they try to make cute ones? Right now he wants these guys to compete at all 200 feet of the rink and play fundamentally sound hockey. As we’ve seen, half of the present roster won’t or can’t do that.
He rides TK and his game is as good as it’s ever been. He rides Hayes and the guy gets worse. Frost hasn’t been scoring but you can see that he’s improving week to week. If Torts was really down on him, he’d send him down. There is a process happening here. Maybe slower than we’d like but it’s moving. Six to nine of the 23 guys here are showing that they’re not NHL players and need to be gone. Probably the GM too since he’s the reason that this drek is here.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I don't think six to nine have shown they're not NHL players, rather, some are still question marks and other playing above their pay grade.

DesLauriers and MacEwen are fine on the 4th line, but injuries have pushed them up at times
Bellows, Frost and Tippett are all question marks, are they middle six, bottom six or AHL plus? We'll find out.
Cates should be in the Laughton role a level down (i.e. 3LW, 4C). Same with Sedlak.
Hayes is a better fit on wing, similar to JVR, use them for offense and shelter them on defense.
Allison has to show he can stay healthy, Laczynski that he's a NHL player.
Willman, J Cates and Brown belong in the AHL, J Cates is on his way back.

From a depth standpoint, they're pretty solid once some of the injured forwards come back, but they don't have a 1C or a 2C.
They have the forwards, Hayes, JVR, TK, Farabee, Atkinson. And when these guys are back, two solid bottom six lines.

Braun is a depth veteran, Seeler is showing himself to be a capable #6.
The top four is still full of question marks.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes

The best way I would describe Tortorella's messaging is: up and down like a toilet seat. I watched the interview too, including what he said about Zamula, and on its own, it sounded like really reasonable stuff. It's not unfair, not overly negative, he doesn't come across as a hard ass. Until he does, with usage or double standards. As usual, I think he understands issues but struggles to actualize solutions. Plus, he's got this weird shtick with the Flyers where he's Grandpa John teaching lessons, then suddenly he's the usual fiery curmudgeon.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I don't think six to nine have shown they're not NHL players, rather, some are still question marks and other playing above their pay grade.

DesLauriers and MacEwen are fine on the 4th line, but injuries have pushed them up at times
Bellows, Frost and Tippett are all question marks, are they middle six, bottom six or AHL plus? We'll find out.
Cates should be in the Laughton role a level down (i.e. 3LW, 4C). Same with Sedlak.
Hayes is a better fit on wing, similar to JVR, use them for offense and shelter them on defense.
Allison has to show he can stay healthy, Laczynski that he's a NHL player.
Willman, J Cates and Brown belong in the AHL, J Cates is on his way back.

From a depth standpoint, they're pretty solid once some of the injured forwards come back, but they don't have a 1C or a 2C.
They have the forwards, Hayes, JVR, TK, Farabee, Atkinson. And when these guys are back, two solid bottom six lines.

Braun is a depth veteran, Seeler is showing himself to be a capable #6.
The top four is still full of question marks.

Braun is not a depth veteran, he's a mainstay and was always going to be. Frost and Tippett aren't question marks. Brown was never going to be in the AHL, nor will he be. Fletcher has made it very clear he wants as few prospects as possible learning how to play the NHL game. He's not going to pull a beloved veteran.

If you need to constantly make stuff up to defend management, then they aren't worth defending.

Reactions: Shrike

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
What beloved veterans?

Braun will sit for Zamula if TDA is ready to play, Torts already announced that.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Braun is not a depth veteran, he's a mainstay and was always going to be. Frost and Tippett aren't question marks. Brown was never going to be in the AHL, nor will he be. Fletcher has made it very clear he wants as few prospects as possible learning how to play the NHL game. He's not going to pull a beloved veteran.

If you need to constantly make stuff up to defend management, then they aren't worth defending.
Remember how Braun was on the top pair for the previous two seasons? :laugh:

But he was just a #7 then too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad