2022/23 Roster Thread XII: The Twelfth Night, a comedy play

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
That’s rich coming from you. You have an opinion on every prospect that you haven’t seen once beyond looking at their season totals.

Because I’ve watched Tippett for YEARS before you. Surely, a few games has not changed his entire career outlook. I think he’s a low IQ player with nice physical traits and a superficial skill set, full stop. I don’t think he’s a true impact player worthy of such usage, but the team just desperately wants to believe he is, so here we are.

I've watched every stupid game and I am not convinced he's taken a massive step forward.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
That’s rich coming from you. You have an opinion on every prospect that you haven’t seen once beyond looking at their season totals.

Because I’ve watched Tippett for YEARS before you. Surely, a few games has not changed his entire career outlook. I think he’s a low IQ player with nice physical traits and a superficial skill set, full stop. I don’t think he’s a true impact player worthy of such usage, but the team just desperately wants to believe he is, so here we are.
For a guy who, coming out of Junior, was supposed to be an elite sniper with a deadly wrist or snap shot, it never has shown up. It's not a Flyers failure alone since he wasn't able to produce it in Florida either. Perhaps his hot seasons in Juniors at Mississisauga and Saginaw were a fluke and he is what we have seen him to be in the NHL?

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
For a guy who, coming out of Junior, was supposed to be an elite sniper with a deadly wrist or snap shot, it never has shown up. It's not a Flyers failure alone since he wasn't able to produce it in Florida either. Perhaps his hot seasons in Juniors at Mississisauga and Saginaw were a fluke and he is what we have seen him to be in the NHL?
He scored at lower levels because he is athletically talented. He never had to work on his game, and as a result, he flies around looking busy, but not accomplishing anything.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
He scored at lower levels because he is athletically talented. He never had to work on his game, and as a result, he flies around looking busy, but not accomplishing anything.

One place he often shows substance is in transition. That's a good skill. But there's so few players good at that thanks to Fletcher it might might him look better than he is thanks to favorable comparison to slobs

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
One place he often shows substance is in transition. That's a good skill. But there's so few players good at that thanks to Fletcher it might might him look better than he is thanks to favorable comparison to slobs
Yes. My previous post was a bit harsh.

He is good through the neutral zone. And I don't think he's so dumb that he's not an NHL player , but I do think he's limited. I don't think a middle six winger with PP2 potential is out of the question for him. He does have skill, he just doesn't process fast enough to be a top line/elite scorer.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Yes. My previous post was a bit harsh.

He is good through the neutral zone. And I don't think he's so dumb that he's not an NHL player , but I do think he's limited. I don't think a middle six winger with PP2 potential is out of the question for him. He does have skill, he just doesn't process fast enough to be a top line/elite scorer.
Don't think he's a top line player, but he's playing there because, uh, maybe 3 of our top 6 forwards are injured?
In a middle six role, on an energy line like the Guorde line for TB used to be, I think Tippett can be very effective, especially as he gets more experience and cuts down on the mistakes.

He's got size, speed, a motor, can puck handle, is a pretty good passer and has a good but not great shot.
Torts has him backchecking and trying to play defense (and half of defense is desire)
On the other hand, he's clumsy at time with the puck, doesn't anticipate well. He not stone dumb but he's not a hockey genius, either.
To be fair to him, he's playing out of position at LW and doesn't look totally lost.

He's not a top ten pick value, but better than the majority of forwards drafted at the end of the 1st rd.

Fotiu29

Feb 22, 2019
I am not going to post it because it’s behind a paywall, but I just want to put it out there - evolving hockey’s RAPM model, which is way more robust than NST, basically states that MacEwen is vastly out performing his expected goals. And he’s getting destroyed on their corsi model too.

In general, every flyers forward is getting rekt for the most part
So what else is new?

Reactions: BiggE

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Tippett looks two steps faster this season than he did last year.

And he’s making far more plays carrying the puck.

Last season he didn’t do much aside from get some shots on goal and flash some skill in tight on a few occasions.

Different gear so far this season.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The Flyers have 2 proven middle 6 players and 1 top 6 player on their entire roster. Tippett is playing with the top 6 player and one of the middle 6 players. It’s the only spot in the forward group that I’d consider a normal scoring role.
That's a little harsh.
Farabee, Hayes and TK are 2nd line players, Farabee and TK have first line potential with the right center (a healthy Couts).
Laughton, Cates, Frost, Tippett and Allison are all middle six forwards.
Sedlak, Laczynski, MacEwen, Deslauriers 4th line types, though Sedlak and Laczynski have 3rd line potential.

Add a couple top 6 forwards and this becomes a much stronger group as Tippett and Laughton are pushed down the lineup.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Playing a weaker schedule the last few games has certainly helped, it both boosts confidence and buy time to get comfortable with Torts schemes and style of play. Still think it'll take another month for the team to settle in, but there are positives.

• Haha
Reactions: Cody Webster

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
Don't think he's a top line player, but he's playing there because, uh, maybe 3 of our top 6 forwards are injured?
In a middle six role, on an energy line like the Guorde line for TB used to be, I think Tippett can be very effective, especially as he gets more experience and cuts down on the mistakes.

He's got size, speed, a motor, can puck handle, is a pretty good passer and has a good but not great shot.
Torts has him backchecking and trying to play defense (and half of defense is desire)
On the other hand, he's clumsy at time with the puck, doesn't anticipate well. He not stone dumb but he's not a hockey genius, either.
To be fair to him, he's playing out of position at LW and doesn't look totally lost.

He's not a top ten pick value, but better than the majority of forwards drafted at the end of the 1st rd.
Backpedaling. When one continually changes and makes up shit because they get their ass handed to them every time they're proven wrong and refuse to admit it. Tippett now goes from top line player to middle line forward after being called out. Crazy how quick this change. Guess the three successful preseason games and putting on 15 pounds to his frame doesn't mean shit.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Backpedaling. When one continually changes and makes up shit because they get their ass handed to them every time they're proven wrong and refuse to admit it. Tippett now goes from top line player to middle line forward after being called out. Crazy how quick this change. Guess the three successful preseason games and putting on 15 pounds to his frame doesn't mean shit.
What are you talking about? I've never seen Tippett as a top line player, that was obvious last season. And I said so then.
But it's not "all or nothing," he has a skill package this team needs, especially in Torts' schemes.
If Couts, Atkinson and JVR were healthy, Tippett would probably be on the 3rd line in an energy role, like last season.

His probable career trajectory will probably be similar to Laughton. Laughton spent a full year in the AHL at 22, back at 23 on the 4th line and improved the next two seasons.

• Haha
Reactions: Cody Webster
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad