2022/23 Roster Thread XII: The Twelfth Night, a comedy play

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Same guys who defend Frosts usage, by the way.

Usage is king. Usage is not effectiveness, but it can be a way to make someone look effective, whatever the motivation. I haven’t watched a game in 2 weeks, but everything about Tippett always feels like team self-justification. If he gets [arbitrary #] points, does that mean he’s Good? Does that become further justification? Does that actually make the team better? Or is it seat filling without the team knowing it?

It’s hard for me to imagine Frost not looking good at LW with Hayes and Konecny every shift, while getting nonstop PP1 time. But they’ve chosen their favorites.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Tippett has been fast, skilled, making plays, very noticeable.

He makes mistakes, but they haven’t been lazy mistakes, & he is regularly creating offensive chances.

A real bright spot so far, even with his turnovers last night.

Chicken N Raffls

Here for the chaos and lolz
Nov 7, 2022
Douglassville
I'd imagine it's easy to build confidence when you're given top line minutes with seemingly no consequences. Maybe he'll be benched/demoted next game, but I'm not holding my breath.

Reactions: BiggE

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I'd imagine it's easy to build confidence when you're given top line minutes with seemingly no consequences. Maybe he'll be benched/demoted next game, but I'm not holding my breath.
Tippett earned his top line minutes recently.

And he was demoted to the 2nd line in the 3rd last night.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
The club doesn't have any finishers. There are more guys that have energy than in the past but they can't put the puck in the net. Probably part of that is the lack of decent centers; Hayes is pathetic. Let's just face facts, this bunch is basically a bunch of third and fourth liners with one or two players that are better than that. They're going to sink like a stone in the standings before the end of the season.
There's nothing at LHV that is going to turn things around in Philly. The best move would be to trade out Provorov for a center that could play in the top two lines. Then bring up York to fill that void. Also need to bring up Attard in a few weeks since Braun is toast. Let the young D learn in the NHL. Staying in the AHL isn't going to help their development with Lappy down there playing a form of pond hockey.

Chicken N Raffls

Here for the chaos and lolz
Nov 7, 2022
Douglassville
Tippett earned his top line minutes recently.

And he was demoted to the 2nd line in the 3rd last night.
Well that will show him.
The 29th ranked offense playing a 1st line of Cates-Sedlak-MacEwen. :laugh:
My favorite part was when Zac went Gretzky mode on that one play/pass in the 1st and then kept trying to replicate it the rest of the game with no success. Great effort though.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Usage is king. Usage is not effectiveness, but it can be a way to make someone look effective, whatever the motivation. I haven’t watched a game in 2 weeks, but everything about Tippett always feels like team self-justification. If he gets [arbitrary #] points, does that mean he’s Good? Does that become further justification? Does that actually make the team better? Or is it seat filling without the team knowing it?

It’s hard for me to imagine Frost not looking good at LW with Hayes and Konecny every shift, while getting nonstop PP1 time. But they’ve chosen their favorites.

TK being savaged by the pro-management people while he was on the 4th line and then suddenly breaking out as was easily predicted with better usage is a lesson that they refused to learn from.

pooch

May 30, 2017
The club doesn't have any finishers. There are more guys that have energy than in the past but they can't put the puck in the net. Probably part of that is the lack of decent centers; Hayes is pathetic. Let's just face facts, this bunch is basically a bunch of third and fourth liners with one or two players that are better than that. They're going to sink like a stone in the standings before the end of the season.
There's nothing at LHV that is going to turn things around in Philly. The best move would be to trade out Provorov for a center that could play in the top two lines. Then bring up York to fill that void. Also need to bring up Attard in a few weeks since Braun is toast. Let the young D learn in the NHL. Staying in the AHL isn't going to help their development with Lappy down there playing a form of pond hockey.
I kind of like the trading Provorov idea but it would have to be for a young C and/or picks. Do you have any targets in mind?

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
I kind of like the trading Provorov idea but it would have to be for a young C and/or picks. Do you have any targets in mind?
Vancouver has cap issues and Horvat becoming a UFA after the season. There might be a possibility there. If they re-sign Horvat to the expensive deal that it's going to take in order to keep him, then Pettersson might be available. They probably can't keep both of those guys with their other financial liabilities.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

Then why are you commenting on something you haven't watched?

Tippett has played very well, he's mistake prone, but that has held for TK since he came up, yet I doubt you'd call for TK to be benched for the awful pass he made last night. At least Tippett was trying to force the puck down ice, whereas TK just went brain dead.

On a rebuilding team, you live with young players making mistakes of aggression, as long as they're working hard and trying to learn from their mistakes. Tippett flies back on the back check, he got back after one of his gaffes, just wasn't able to make the play on the pass, but it wasn't like he screwed up then watched from 20 feet away, lollygagging back (which I've seen more than once the last couple years). Now whether Tippett and TK should be on the same line . . .

Allison made some bad cross ice passes, got scolded then got top six minutes. Because he was skating hard and making good things happen when he was on the ice.
Frost just hasn't done much, nothing really bad, but nothing that says, "gee, got to give that kid more minutes."
Sedlak has done more with less since he arrived, his line crushed it last night, so enough with the excuses "if only Frost had better linemates . . . "

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
It's become my mission to call him out every time he uses stats, because the fool has no idea what any of them mean, or how to use them.

It's really annoying.
He’s both incredibly stupid and incredibly dishonest. Just a garbage human being.

This was one of my favorites.

Which is hilarious when you see he also said this

And this

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

Tippett has played very well, he's mistake prone, but that has held for TK since he came up, yet I doubt you'd call for TK to be benched for the awful pass he made last night. At least Tippett was trying to force the puck down ice, whereas TK just went brain dead.

On a rebuilding team, you live with young players making mistakes of aggression, as long as they're working hard and trying to learn from their mistakes. Tippett flies back on the back check, he got back after one of his gaffes, just wasn't able to make the play on the pass, but it wasn't like he screwed up then watched from 20 feet away, lollygagging back (which I've seen more than once the last couple years). Now whether Tippett and TK should be on the same line . . .

Allison made some bad cross ice passes, got scolded then got top six minutes. Because he was skating hard and making good things happen when he was on the ice.
Frost just hasn't done much, nothing really bad, but nothing that says, "gee, got to give that kid more minutes."
Sedlak has done more with less since he arrived, his line crushed it last night, so enough with the excuses "if only Frost had better linemates . . . "

"Very well" is a stretch

You've repeatedly learned the linemate/usage lesson in the past when it's proven you wrong. You're doing the wrong thing again.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes

That’s rich coming from you. You have an opinion on every prospect that you haven’t seen once beyond looking at their season totals.

Because I’ve watched Tippett for YEARS before you. Surely, a few games has not changed his entire career outlook. I think he’s a low IQ player with nice physical traits and a superficial skill set, full stop. I don’t think he’s a true impact player worthy of such usage, but the team just desperately wants to believe he is, so here we are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad