2022/23 Roster Thread XII: The Twelfth Night, a comedy play

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
They were over 50% CF, I think what hurt them with xGF were too many missed passes ending scoring chances, at times they looked smooth, at other times like they had no clue where a teammate was supposed to be. This has also been a problem in their D-zone, they'd steal the puck back then lose it b/c they didn't know where to pass it.

The problem isn't talent in terms of skating or size, they're bigger and faster with Allison, Tippett, TDA, Laczynski, N Cates, but the lack of elite offensive skill. So they should improve in terms of possession, it's finishing plays where I expect them to struggle all season.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Charlie said on the BSH that he heard Atkinson’s injury is neck related. He said the organization is being very mum on Atkinson’s situation so it’s not something he feels is 100% fact. He’s not skating & there isn’t an estimated time frame right now as to when that will happen. The Flyers have publicly said Atkinson is out with a UBI.

"Eat it off, kid"

--Flahr

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
Charlie said on the BSH that he heard Atkinson’s injury is neck related. He said the organization is being very mum on Atkinson’s situation so it’s not something he feels is 100% fact. He’s not skating & there isn’t an estimated time frame right now as to when that will happen. The Flyers have publicly said Atkinson is out with a UBI.
Zombie Ellis bit him 100%..

patient #2...

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
Charlie said on BSH that people have to get their idea of what these team will be (prior to the season starting) out of their heads because the team has played a months worth of games now. Also, “Tippett is a player!” Lol. These goofs we’re talking about playoffs and the wonders of Tortorella’s coaching ability. f***ing woof

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Charlie said on BSH that people have to get their idea of what these team will be (prior to the season starting) out of their heads because the team has played a months worth of games now. Also, “Tippett is a player!” Lol. These goofs we’re talking about playoffs and the wonders of Tortorella’s coaching ability. f***ing woof

Every poster here could coach the team to the same record with the way Hart is playing

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Tippett IS a player, he's improved his back checking, he and TDA are the two best Flyers at zone entries, he's shown plus passing skills and is developing confidence in his shot. He's not a rocket scientist, but neither is TK. But he has size and great speed and is developing a plus skill package. Needs to cut down on the puck handling mistakes and develop better vision, some of that will come with experience.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fotiu29

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

Charlie is such a f***ing dishonest fraud. He knows as well as anyone they are dead in the water but he lies anyway.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I mean Tippett doesn't look completely useless like he did last year, but he's a lot like Hayes. High variance player. So it's ironic they are now playing together. He just doesn't look like he's half-assing it becausing he's always going a billion miles an hour unlike Hayes.

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
I don't think anyone expects Hart to play at his current level, but I think it's also reasonable to expect the team to play at a much better level with regard to metrics and puck possession. Now that the lineup is settling in, they can start playing together and develop a better feel for linemates, defensive partners and Torts schemes.

It won't surprise me if after the 20 game mark they are close to xGF 50% the rest of the season.
At that point it'll be a balance between Hart/Sandstrom providing above average goalie play and the forwards below average finishing.
I’d only agree with this if we had a healthy couts, jvr, aaand Atkinson back. I don’t really see it without those 3

Reactions: captainpaxil

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I mean Tippett doesn't look completely useless like he did last year, but he's a lot like Hayes. High variance player. So it's ironic they are now playing together. He just doesn't look like he's half-assing it becausing he's always going a billion miles an hour unlike Hayes.
Going a billion miles an hour has an impact if you direct it correctly, like skating hard on the back check, getting back quickly means you're there to disrupt plays.

Pitlick had a solid career just skating hard every shift, and Tippett is far more talented.

Last edited:

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
So that's Ellis, Couturier and Atkinson all done for the season.
giphy.gif

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Charlie is such a f***ing dishonest fraud. He knows as well as anyone they are dead in the water but he lies anyway.
He’ll never be able to come back from tweets like these. Once you stoop to this level of blatant lying, you’re done forever.

(Then this one and his responses to two people challenging him on it)

And this Risto/Ghost comment is the most blatant lie of them all. For a guy who is only known because of his previous stat usage, he sure did magically forget how they work as soon as the team adopted him as a shill.

Once somebody is a liar, they can never be anything else.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I dunno, this sounds pretty reasonable to me:

"MacEwen has always been a weird case for me. His teammates loved him, he passed the eye test last year -- he always seemed to be Doing Stuff -- and he was a fan favorite, but his advanced stats were utterly brutal. Flyers got crushed with him on the ice at 5v5."

Calling that "lying" says more about the poster than the target.

And he was right, the offseason moves weren't the reason they sucked last year, Voracek was a 5x5 liablity in CBJ (xGF 42.61%, xGFrel -2.92), Ghost was and still is a black hole at 5x5 (xGF 41.87%, 31.01%, xGFrel +0.79, -7.09). Anyone miss Patrick and Myers? The PP sucked two years ago with G, Voracek and Ghost, it sucked last year with G, it's as good or better this season.

2020-21: GF/60: 6.59, xGF/60: 6.23
2021-22: GF/60: 4.26, xGF/60: 6.73
2022-23: GF/60: 6.99, xGF/60: 6.12

AV lost the team, Hart melted down, and the bottom six last season was dreck. That's why they sucked, and they would have sucked as bad with Voracek and Ghost b/c neither would have solved the real issues with that team.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
MacEwen didn't pass any eye test last year. He was awful both through the eye test and through the metrics.

Saying that he looked anything different than that through the eye test tells a lot about the person making the statement.
MacEwen is big, physical, skates well for his size, he "looks" like a hockey player.
To be fair, playing with Thompson/Bunnaman/Brown at center, it's going to be difficult for most forwards to look decent.
Brown at least resembled a hockey player, Thompson/Bunnaman: 48g 1-2 3 -22.

MacEwen has looked much better this season, which doesn't mean he's "good," just raised his game to replacement level or so.
Even with Tippett moved to LW and Atkinson out, he's still on the bubble.
Notice how quickly Allison jumped ahead of him?
With Foerster and Wisdom in LHV, Brink back by January, I'd advise him not to make any long-term investment in Philly housing.

• Haha
Reactions: Cody Webster

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
MacEwen is big, physical, skates well for his size, he "looks" like a hockey player.
To be fair, playing with Thompson/Bunnaman/Brown at center, it's going to be difficult for most forwards to look decent.
Brown at least resembled a hockey player, Thompson/Bunnaman: 48g 1-2 3 -22.

MacEwen has looked much better this season, which doesn't mean he's "good," just raised his game to replacement level or so.
Even with Tippett moved to LW and Atkinson out, he's still on the bubble.
Notice how quickly Allison jumped ahead of him?
With Foerster and Wisdom in LHV, Brink back by January, I'd advise him not to make any long-term investment in Philly housing.
I'm just glad that you're finally coming around to that line of thinking.

MacEwen looked like a "hockey player" in stature but he didn't look like an NHL player in play. No one can say that he passed the eye test with a straight face last year.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I'm just glad that you're finally coming around to that line of thinking.

MacEwen looked like a "hockey player" in stature but he didn't look like an NHL player in play. No one can say that he passed the eye test with a straight face last year.
They were down to the dregs last season, with Couts out, Brassard out, Laczynski and Allison out, not much available.
7 forwards, then Lindblom, who unfortunately was (and still is) a shell of the player he was pre-cancer and Frost.

4th line was the following grope:
Mayhew, Willman, Brown, MacEwen, Thompson, Bunnaman, Ratcliffe.

Deslauriers, Sedlak and Laczysnki are a big upgrade, and not surprisingly, MacEwen looks better when he isn't playing with dregs - he's not going to carry a line, but he can complement real players.

Before the kids arrived (and Cates - Frost - TIppett):
Frost minutes:
JVR 149
TK 131
Lindblom 122
Willman 109
Mayhew 98
Atkinson 90
Giroux 71

He was spared the joy of playing with Brown, Thompson, Bunnaman and MacEwen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad