2022/23 Roster Thread XII: The Twelfth Night, a comedy play

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
The other moves had little impact, Ghost was part of the Risto fiasco, and he clashed with AV.
Voracek has become a bad player with another year left at $8.25M, slipped last year and is far worse this year. xGFrel -18.13,
Ghost is padding his scoring stats but is a liability at 5x5.
The rest, who cares? Raffl, NAK, Myers, Patrick, Friedman, Bunnaman, Vorobyev - just shows how little actual talent they had versus the hype.
2nd and 3rd for Braun has become a 3rd and ??? at this year's TDL.
If they kept G, Voracek and Ghost, they'd still be bad, they'd be that 2018-19 team but four years older.

Fletcher may have not made a lot of good moves - but the problem was the attempt to "aggressively reload" by patching holes instead of facing reality. And that was Holmgren/Clarke doing their wormtongue thang with Scott.

All his other moves have added up to have massive impact. It is why the team is so wretched.

Being asked to "aggressively reload" didn't mean Fletcher had no choice but to make nonstop terrible decisions.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
All his other moves have added up to have massive impact. It is why the team is so wretched.

Being asked to "aggressively reload" didn't mean Fletcher had no choice but to make nonstop terrible decisions.
They had little impact. Had he made no moves, this team would still suck.

Farabee - G/Couts (IR)/Laughton - Voracek
JVR - Laughton - TK
Lindblom - Frost/Patrick (IR) - Allison
Raff- Laczynski - Simmonds/NAK

Provorov - Ghost
Sanheim - Gudas
York/Hagg - Myers/Zamula

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey

JVR - Laughton - TK

Provorov - Ghost
Sanheim - Gudas
York/Hagg - Myers/Zamula
And yet he was given the mandate to win now and has made the team worse and with less assets.

Great success. Much praise.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

JVR - Laughton - TK

Provorov - Ghost
Sanheim - Gudas
York/Hagg - Myers/Zamula

Hear me out: What if there's an alternative to "making terrible moves" or "making no moves," called "making solid moves." What if Fletcher tried that for once?

You always claim a load of bad moves don't matter, but if that were true then the team wouldn't be annually dragged down further by them. It's the cap era. Efficiency is king. Everything matters. Losing value at every turn matters. Losing in the margins matters.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Just for some brand suggestions. Trying out a cigar sampling room. Thanks!

My go-to cigars are Rocky Patel and Davidoff. I'm not a habitual smoker. They aren't massively potent. I dreaded cigar sessions where a real smoker friend of mine would pick what we were going with because he'd drop a nicotine bomb on me just so he could feel a bit of rush.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Even guys like Meltzer & Myrterus who actually get paid by the Flyers don’t even really defend Fletcher anymore. :laugh:
It's not a matter of defending him, it's a matter of recognizing that the team he took over had about a 2 year window before key players aged out - getting to the 2nd round was about the maximum you could expect with the talent on hand - unless you wanted Fletcher to trade 3 or 4 1st rd picks.

So it's not that Fletcher did a good job (he didn't), it's that trying to compete with that team was an exercise in futility.
Same way AV got that team to play above its talent his first season, then lost the team.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
It's not a matter of defending him, it's a matter of recognizing that the team he took over had about a 2 year window before key players aged out - getting to the 2nd round was about the maximum you could expect with the talent on hand - unless you wanted Fletcher to trade 3 or 4 1st rd picks.

So it's not that Fletcher did a good job (he didn't), it's that trying to compete with that team was an exercise in futility.
Same way AV got that team to play above its talent his first season, then lost the team.

Have you tried recognizing it in a way that doesn't absolve Fletcher of blame in a string of bad moves that have left the team in wretched shape?

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC

JVR - Laughton - TK

Provorov - Ghost
Sanheim - Gudas
York/Hagg - Myers/Zamula
If he made no moves, this team would suck but still have more draft picks.

Literally doing nothing is an improvement on Charles Entertainment Fletcher. A 2 year old with a fake toy phone could have out GM'ed him.

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
No elite talent + the NHL’s worst GM = Maximum
1667912467902.gif

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
If he made no moves, this team would suck but still have more draft picks.

Literally doing nothing is an improvement on Charles Entertainment Fletcher. A 2 year old with a fake toy phone could have out GM'ed him.
Speaking of two year olds with a fake toy phone…

When we got to our hotel room a couple weeks back Thatcher Venmo, who is now 2, went to the phone and picked it up, put it to his ear, and said hello.

1) we don’t have a phone with a cord at home. This is likely the first time he’s seen one in person.
2) he has never said “hello.”

HCette and I were mystified and dying of laughter.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

When we got to our hotel room a couple weeks back Thatcher Venmo, who is now 2, went to the phone and picked it up, put it to his ear, and said hello.

1) we don’t have a phone with a cord at home. This is likely the first time he’s seen one in person.

Ahh before you know it he'll be plotting grotesque medical experiments to perform on you

ajgoal

Almost always never serious
Jun 29, 2015

He was watching 80s television while you were out.

landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018
Was reading an article about the Coyotes front office and saw this:
“Larry Pleau is the senior adviser to the GM. He was the GM when the St. Louis Blues began their rebuild in 2006, which eventually culminated in a Stanley Cup championship 13 years later.”

Not trying to use the Blues as a model example by any means, just pointing out how long a rebuild can actually take to reach the ultimate goal. Not everyone that contributes to a cup win or competitiveness has to be drafted either, but the effects of stockpiling picks and development of talent can be seen long after picks are made.

The idea that Hextall’s plan failed after 4 years is just ridiculous. The current front office objective to undo as much as they could is going to make it really difficult to evaluate how effective the long term benefits might’ve been

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad