Status
Not open for further replies.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
So the worry here is Carter Hart right?

Mrs. Hart wouldn't raise a son like that, she's so sweet :(
With the way things are going, I wouldn't be surprised at all if Hart ends up the sole responsible player for all of this and is sentenced to 25 to life.

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
I think they'll have better results this year than last, mostly because of a better head coach. But don't throw your shoulder out patting yourself on the back, because being better than the 4 worst team in the leauge is the lowest bar to clear that isn't ground level.

Make no mistake, if Coots gets injured again or is still recovering and not playing up to his standards, this is another bottom of the leauge roster. They are one key player away from being just as bad, if not worse than last year's results.

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
What we seem to have are a slew of posters who for months were in full-blown defeatist tank mode now going ballistic that the Flyers didn’t sign Gaudreau for 7 years $ 10M per.

If anyone should be pissed about it, it’s me. Because I “contrarianly” was against tanking & wanted some entertainment value, even if Gaudreau might turn into a bad contract.

And I am annoyed they didn’t get him.

But you’d think 90% of the tankers would be thrilled. For some strange reason, no, now they suddenly wanted him.
It’s not that at this stage we wanted him, rather that all the cards aligned for him to come here and we could have made it happen, but fletcher didn’t even attempt to go for a player of his caliber. He picked up fringe players by the handful “minutes” into free agency.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
It’s not that at this stage we wanted him, rather that all the cards aligned for him to come here and we could have made it happen, but fletcher didn’t even attempt to go for a player of his caliber. He picked up fringe players by the handful “minutes” into free agency.
That's not the problem the problem is if you decide JG isn't worth it b/c the team isn't good enough to justify a long-term commitment, then have the balls to start the rebuild and sell that to the fans.

Do something, anything, other than running around like a chicken with its head cut off.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
That's not the problem the problem is if you decide JG isn't worth it b/c the team isn't good enough to justify a long-term commitment, then have the balls to start the rebuild and sell that to the fans.

Do something, anything, other than running around like a chicken with its head cut off.

I think this is the thing, really. Almost anything else would have been better than this confused and contradictory path they're following.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Jun 19, 2018
The fact that you can see an ignored post now (not what it says, just that it's there with a thing to click to expand) is the stupidest shit ever. Why have an ignore list? Why remind people these posts exist and tempt them to read them. Stupid stupid STUPID. THIS was the new feature they wanted to implement around the ignore feature? They still haven't fixed the stupid notification/messages display on mobile. Why can I not see my messages separately from my notifications, like on desktop?

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
The fact that you can see an ignored post now (not what it says, just that it's there with a thing to click to expand) is the stupidest shit ever. Why have an ignore list? Why remind people these posts exist and tempt them to read them. Stupid stupid STUPID. THIS was the new feature they wanted to implement around the ignore feature? They still haven't fixed the stupid notification/messages display on mobile. Why can I not see my messages separately from my notifications, like on desktop?
Between that and ignored messages being visible it's honestly brutal.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa

I would like to add thar this roster sucks too. Not as bad as seeing ignored user posts, but bad.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
As insane and hilarious as the entire organization's incompetence is... I think yesterday probably unintentionally went as well as it realistically could have. We needed a win like this after a second straight awful, lazy, predictable draft and that stupid trade.

-Chuck didn't give up a high pick to remove JVR
-We didn't add a top player who could attempt to fill Giroux's role of dragging this lifeless corpse of a franchise towards the playoff bubble and away from a desperately needed high draft pick
-We added more dedicated soldiers to aid the tank effort
-Chuck made even the dumbest fans mad, which is vitally important because they're the majority of the fanbase and the loudest voices. Same thing with the media shills who are finally starting to turn on him.

The team has no future until there's significant changes at the top. Whatever it takes to make that happen is a necessary evil and Chuck did a great job in setting up next season to potentially be the year that makes it happen. They're all idiots, but eventually there has to be a reaction to Chuck shitting down his own leg for four years straight and making the team worse in every single way, at the cost of many significant assets and boatloads of money.

I'm looking at this roster and I just can't believe how quickly it's gone to shit. Fletchers bled skill and value like a stuck pig and now there's a grand total of 3 top line/pair quality players total on the entire roster (Couturier, TK, and Sanheim) and not a single star exciting/marketable/franchise guy in the bunch or on the way. Almost everyone else on the roster is either an unknown, deeply flawed, or pure garbage. The only way this team gets near a wildcard spot next year is sky high shooting percentages (aka luck), Hart going nuts and stealing games, and/or an insane breakout year from one of the few young skilled players. Unlikely, at best.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Meltzer, in his blog, stated that the asking price for JVR was the Flyers 2023 1st. For 1 year at $7 million, for a still useful 25 goal scorer? Nothing about that passes the smell test. Many teams low on the totem pole could theoretically use JVR + 2024 FLA 1st + deadline pick for absolutely nothing. It's even a way to hit the floor while gaining a valuable asset. Most half-intelligent GMs should see that as a value win. Substantially worse contracts, with worse term and for basically non-rosterable players, get traded for far less than a probable top 10 pick.

I think it really just goes back to Fletcher being the nadir of NHL negotiators -- losing leverage putting himself in untenable positions too -- and other GMs want to bleed him dry like vampires. There's no chance if that was a Hurricanes contract or Lightning contract that it doesn't get moved at a fraction of the cost. Other teams know who the suckers are.

Last edited:

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Jun 19, 2018
Meltzer, in his blog, stated that the asking price for JVR was the Flyers 2023 1st. For 1 year at $7 million, for a still useful 25 goal scorer? Nothing about that passes the smell test. Many teams low on the totem pole could theoretically use JVR + 2024 1st+deadline pick for absolutely nothing. Any smart GM would see that as a value win. Substantially worse contracts, with worse term and for basically non-rosterable players, get traded for far less than a probable top 10 pick.

I think it really just goes back to Fletcher being the nadir of NHL negotiators -- losing leverage putting himself in untenable positions too -- and other GMs want to bleed him dry like vampires. There's no chance if that was a Hurricanes contract or Lightning contract that it doesn't get moved at a fraction of the cost.
I said this some time ago - Chuck is the equivalent of that fantasy manager (we all have one in every league) that people constantly try to rip off hoping he pulls the trigger on one of your garbage proposals. People line up for Chuck and it's for all the wrong reasons

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Meltzer, in his blog, stated that the asking price for JVR was the Flyers 2023 1st. For 1 year at $7 million, for a still useful 25 goal scorer? Nothing about that passes the smell test. Many teams low on the totem pole could theoretically use JVR + 2024 FLA 1st + deadline pick for absolutely nothing. It's even a way to hit the floor while gaining a valuable asset. Most half-intelligent GMs should see that as a value win. Substantially worse contracts, with worse term and for basically non-rosterable players, get traded for far less than a probable top 10 pick.

I think it really just goes back to Fletcher being the nadir of NHL negotiators -- losing leverage putting himself in untenable positions too -- and other GMs want to bleed him dry like vampires. There's no chance if that was a Hurricanes contract or Lightning contract that it doesn't get moved at a fraction of the cost. Other teams know who the suckers are.

Meltzer on Twitter when the Gaudreau news hit yesterday afternoon.

05989299-ac88-4650-b77b-d955f464fd90_text.gif

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Going through all his moves, it became clear over time that the league collectively began realizing that he was always against the cap, always desperate, and easy to rip off. In his first years he made some contracts go away like normal. But eventually teams started charging him to resolve his neverending incompetence. And that's what we hired, a known tool who isn't respected by anyone that the rest of the league bleeds dry as a sort of service fee for fixing his idiocy.

Ironmanrulez

#nEvErrEbUiLd #nEvErpLaYyOuTh #nEverpLaYsKiLL
Jul 1, 2010
Cologne, Germany
As insane and hilarious as the entire organization's incompetence is... I think yesterday probably unintentionally went as well as it realistically could have. We needed a win like this after a second straight awful, lazy, predictable draft and that stupid trade.

-Chuck didn't give up a high pick to remove JVR
-We didn't add a top player who could attempt to fill Giroux's role of dragging this lifeless corpse of a franchise towards the playoff bubble and away from a desperately needed high draft pick
-We added more dedicated soldiers to aid the tank effort
-Chuck made even the dumbest fans mad, which is vitally important because they're the majority of the fanbase and the loudest voices. Same thing with the media shills who are finally starting to turn on him.

The team has no future until there's significant changes at the top. Whatever it takes to make that happen is a necessary evil and Chuck did a great job in setting up next season to potentially be the year that makes it happen. They're all idiots, but eventually there has to be a reaction to Chuck shitting down his own leg for four years straight and making the team worse in every single way, at the cost of many significant assets and boatloads of money.

I'm looking at this roster and I just can't believe how quickly it's gone to shit. Fletchers bled skill and value like a stuck pig and now there's a grand total of 3 top line/pair quality players total on the entire roster (Couturier, TK, and Sanheim) and not a single star exciting/marketable/franchise guy in the bunch or on the way. Almost everyone else on the roster is either an unknown, deeply flawed, or pure garbage. The only way this team gets near a wildcard spot next year is sky high shooting percentages (aka luck), Hart going nuts and stealing games, and/or an insane breakout year from one of the few young skilled players. Unlikely, at best.
Welcome back my favourite 12 year old Elder Statesman ;D

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Going through all his moves, it became clear over time that the league collectively began realizing that he was always against the cap, always desperate, and easy to rip off. In his first years he made some contracts go away like normal. But eventually teams started charging him to resolve his neverending incompetence. And that's what we hired, a known tool who isn't respected by anyone that the rest of the league bleeds dry as a sort of service fee for fixing his idiocy.
I wonder how much of this can be tied to as towards the beginning there were GM’s that were buddies with his dad so they took it easy on him and as time has gone on those friends have gone by the way side leaving no one to protect ol’ Chuckles.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Oh and speaking of Chucks incredible team building, how funny is it that Giroux got $6.5m for 3 years and Fletcher instead chose to not even attempt to sign him and instead spend $6.85m on Risto and Deslauriers, for 4 and 5 years.

Or better yet, in the bigger picture, there's all this complaining about having no cap space and how we couldn't afford Gaudreau or any other big name UFA, while $21.99m has been used on Hayes, Risto, TDA, Laughton, and Deslauriers. But of course it's specifically JVRs contract that's the big issue, right?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Why would we want to resign G at 35? We're gonna win the Cup the next two years?
Laughton was money well spent - I mean why not bring up TK's contract?

Apples and oranges make a fruit bowl but not a consistent argument.

The problem has always been the fixation on making the playoffs irregardless of whether they're good enough to advance or the consequences down the road. Bad strategy leads to bad results.

If you're not fixated on the playoffs, when you find out Patrick is damaged goods, you take a step back.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I wonder how much of this can be tied to as towards the beginning there were GM’s that were buddies with his dad so they took it easy on him and as time has gone on those friends have gone by the way side leaving no one to protect ol’ Chuckles.

Oh, you mean like in 2011 when Nieuwendyk ate the bad Nystrom contract Fletcher gave out for free as a favor? Nieuwendyk was GM of the Stars after working for Cliff and playing for him in Calgary.

Like that, perhaps?

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Oh and speaking of Chucks incredible team building, how funny is it that Giroux got $6.5m for 3 years and Fletcher instead chose to not even attempt to sign him and instead spend $6.85m on Risto and Deslauriers, for 4 and 5 years.

Or better yet, in the bigger picture, there's all this complaining about having no cap space and how we couldn't afford Gaudreau or any other big name UFA, while $21.99m has been used on Hayes, Risto, TDA, Laughton, and Deslauriers. But of course it's specifically JVRs contract that's the big issue, right?

Who let you out?

Ironmanrulez

#nEvErrEbUiLd #nEvErpLaYyOuTh #nEverpLaYsKiLL
Jul 1, 2010
Cologne, Germany
Havent enough time to read all post in the last crazy 2 Days.

Just want to say a few things in general.

Why talk about open check book, needing high end talent (media use this phrase every 3rd sentence now) when you want to sign f***ING TONY DE ANGELO?

Why buy out Lindblom if you want to sign Dinosaurier? (not a typo!! Dinosaurier means Dino in German ;D )

2 ways i expected before the offseason:

1. Trade all 1st Draft Picks for direct help and cap relief. JVR, Lindblom, Konecny and other roster player and 3x 1rd Draft Picks gone. Johnny Hockey and 2 other impact players coming in. Maybe you package more draft picks! A f***ing all in! I would hate it but it would have been at least a plan!

2. Stay competitive with 1 impact signing and hope that your young players can take the next step. Dont use cap space on useless FA signings just go for one big signing! I would also think this is the wrong way, but at least we would play younger guys more often.

My way would be a full rebuild. But Flyers arent doing it!

Cucky achieved exactly nothing! As Striiker already stated it could be a blessing in the sky, cause this Team is 100 % a bottom dweller! We will see another bad bad season and the franchise need to react now! So maybe Cucky has work himself in loosing his job, not to say promote to CoOwner of the franchise ^^

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad