2022/23 Roster Thread III: Run It Back!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
The only positive thing you can say about the Flyers cap situation/contract outlook is that the team very likely stinks for the foreseeable future making them less damaging as they could be anymore. Since the Flyers don’t have a window.

Even guys like Sanheim, Konecny, & Provorov are currently in their prime years & will be close to exiting them by the time the Flyers could realistically re-up the talent on this roster. Couturier’s deal could be problematic though. I’m assuming Ellis goes on the LTIR retirement plan eventually otherwise I’d mention him too.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
We need a cry emoji
Like this?

5b2689dc04ffbb74d7b59a9c6e7d0a9c.png

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
I’m going to go out on a limb, though, & say they’re better than people think.

DeAngelo is a good player. He’s a significant upgrade to their defense. He’s controversial, but that doesn’t mean he’s not a pretty big upgrade.

Full season of an older, more mature York, playing the correct side? Also an upgrade.

A D of (however you mix them):
Provorov-DeAngelo
Sanheim-Risto
York-Braun

Is not bad. And I’ve gotta think Provorov sharpens back up under Torts & Shaw.

On offense, having a healthy Couturier AND a healthy Hayes changes everything.
And they’ve got a multitude of young players where it’s put up or shut up, & hopefully some do. They also have some prospect depth knocking on the door who could surprise if a younger vet doesn’t cut it.

They’ve got Torts. They made a few changes to help set a hard-to-play against mindset.

It’s a team that could gel together if they get a few good breaks instead of only bad ones.

So, yeah, I wanted the excitement of opening a Johnny Hockey present. There’s also a pretty good chance in a couple years it’s a blessing they don’t have it.

This team could end up with a young, nothing to lose, pain in the ass mindset with no superstar but keeps improving.

I’ve seen it happen.

Or, Chuck’s out by the New Year & we’re hoping for Bedard.

I’ve decided to take the hopeful perspective instead of the miserable one, as frustrating in-the-moment as yesterday was.

One thing is for sure, though: They damn well regret that stupid “aggressive retool” phrase.

They could definitely be better than we think right now. I wouldn't put money on it, but it absolutely could happen.

Coots, Hayes, Farabee coming back healthy, Hart, Frost, Tippett, TK, Atkinson, Sanheim, DeAngelo - there's talent there. Maybe something clicks.

If they actually are better, and sustain it over the long haul, that means there's something to hope for. Gotta start somewhere, right?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
You’re nuts if you think we are moving Hayes’ contract or Risto’s contract in the future without giving up significant assets to do so.
It's easy to move contracts if you're willing to retain, Hayes at 3x5 if he's 100% this season will have takers lined up around the block next summer, look at the contracts given out in FA this year. Same with Risto at 4x4 in a year if Torts can just get him to play with a modicum of discipline (nothing drastic, just reduce the really bad mistakes) - because physical RHDs go for a premium.

IF they decide to rebuild, they don't have to worry about preserving cap room for FA acquisitions (they've extended everyone but Saneim and he already makes $4.75M) so they can retain $2-3M on JVR, which would make him very marketable in a few days when all the decent FAs have been signed.

We see these guys moved all the time, but it's hard to move an overpriced contract at full value, teams want to be paid for that extra couple million over three years.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
They could definitely be better than we think right now. I wouldn't put money on it, but it absolutely could happen.

Coots, Hayes, Farabee coming back healthy, Hart, Frost, Tippett, TK, Atkinson, Sanheim, DeAngelo - there's talent there. Maybe something clicks.

If they actually are better, and sustain it over the long haul, that means there's something to hope for. Gotta start somewhere, right?
If you're better because a bunch of young players emerge and exceed expectations - good.
If you're better because you've add $20M in long-term contracts to 28-30 year old FAs - bad.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014

They’re going to build a foundation & progress.

Way more here than people think. Won’t be a 0-60mph leap, but will be very noticeable improvement & promise.

Reactions: flyersnorth

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013

I saw a discussion Jordan Hall had with Jim Jackson today and JJ seemed disillusioned. Remember when Fletcher said a while ago that we're missing high-end talent? We're still missing it.

Reactions: flyersnorth

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
They’re going to build a foundation & progress.

Way more here than people think. Won’t be a 0-60mph leap, but will be very noticeable improvement & promise.
They will try to grind games down to 2-1 overtime outcomes and because of the loser point miss out on the franchise changing prospects at the top of the draft. That’s going to be a great foundation for more mediocrity in the future.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
They will try to grind games down to 2-1 overtime outcomes and because of the lower point miss out on the franchise changing prospects at the top of the draft. That’s going to be a great foundation for more mediocrity in the future.
They’re going to learn accountability. Establish an identity. Gain confidence. Not be a laughingstock.

Go into next summer with JVR’s $7m cap room. Have some pretty good prospects entering the team/in 2nd year.

It’s progress. Good progress. I hate this all-or-nothing, gotta be horrible for 6 years & pray for picks, & if it’s not a dynasty burn & repeat BS.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
They’re going to learn accountability. Establish an identity. Gain confidence. Not be a laughingstock.

Go into next summer with JVR’s $7m cap room. Have some pretty good prospects entering the team/in 2nd year.

It’s progress. Good progress. I hate this all-or-nothing, gotta be horrible for 6 years & pray for picks, & if it’s not a dynasty burn & repeat BS.

They will be a bottom 10 team with a bottom 3 offence. They will be the definition of a laughing stock.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010

You need at least 3 hall of fame or near hall of fame talents in their prime to win a cup. The worst three-some to do it may have been St Louis during their miracle run: ROR, Pietrangelo, and Tarasenko. The Flyers don’t have even a player near that level of talent with Couturier at 30 and coming off of back surgery likely exiting his prime soon if not now. Without players of that level there is no progress or foundation to be had. It’s just spinning the wheels.

• Love
Reactions: Ironmanrulez

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
ROR spent his first 5-6 years mired in inconsistent mediocrity.
A lot of "franchise" players emerge in their mid-20s, only a few are superstars from the get-go.
That's why you need to be patient with young players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad