2022/23 Roster Thread III: Run It Back!

Status
Not open for further replies.

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
Just watched the presser. It was a good one.

I liked the questions and piggy back questions. What I wish they asked is -

Do you have regrets trading for and signing Risto?

After your trade and signing of TDA, do you have regrets paying to move Ghost? Does Ghost’s success give you regrets?

To be fair, what is Chuck going to say to that?

He has to defend Risto publicly

Reactions: flyersnorth

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Someone unplugged GB for 10 seconds yesterday ,, but he is back Baby !!!

Even the fools on twitter, there may actually be only 2 defenders left and they both post here !!

But this is perfect scenario, blatantly lie to the authentic, miss out on the JG gift, sign the new worst contract of your tenure, finish bottom 5 again, and the hopefully clean house.

JG begs to come to Philly, but he can't because you openly chased Risto and Deslariers, this is so good .

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I have a theory:

They told Chuck he has to take a fall. Comcast will never say they are tanking. So they tell Chuck to tank but do it not 100% in to get the few gullible fans to buy in. Get some goons to be tough. Get local players for stories. Get the high picks and build a team, eventually clear cap, and he gets promoted. Take the hard questions. Take the fall. Get promoted.

I think this is not the case, but it’s sad it is possible.

We are now the Detroit Lions of the NHL

Yay team
We would be if we got JG. Then we both would have one high level player. We are worse than the Lions right now.

Reactions: BiggE

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Are you really trying to defend prioritizing Risto, TDA, Braun, and Deslauriers over Gaudreau? :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

We've already got Attard, Hogberg, and Zamula just sitting there. They're not worse than Braun (or Risto for that matter), they're just lacking in NHL games played. Because in this idiotic organization, you have to play in the NHL before you can be trusted to play in the NHL.
Now why would a team with a defense consisting of at least 3 AHL/Nick Seeler caliber defensemen bother locking $10M over 7 seasons in Johnny Gaudreau?

To demoralize the team, its goalie, & its young players as the defense gets torched every night?

You don’t sign Gaudreau if you are overtly tanking, & that’s exactly what your scenario would be.

Instead, the Flyers can hopefully build a competent, hardworking, team-defense, non-embarrassment foundation, that maybe won’t score like if they had Gaudreau, but also won’t have 50% of the D over their heads &/or stunting their development.

Then you get all of JVR’s $7M next summer & THAT’s when you add the high-priced FA.

Evergreen

I have a theory:

They told Chuck he has to take a fall. Comcast will never say they are tanking. So they tell Chuck to tank but do it not 100% in to get the few gullible fans to buy in. Get some goons to be tough. Get local players for stories. Get the high picks and build a team, eventually clear cap, and he gets promoted. Take the hard questions. Take the fall. Get promoted.

I think this is not the case, but it’s sad it is possible.

We would be if we got JG. Then we both would have one high level player. We are worse than the Lions right now.
This doesn’t line up with the facts that Chuck has been reading away picks and specifically didn’t hire the hometown boy in Gaudreau.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
This doesn’t line up with the facts that Chuck has been reading away picks and specifically didn’t hire the hometown boy in Gaudreau.
He’s been giving away picks to show face, under this theory. He won’t give up a 1st to move JVR so he can’t pull the trigger. You know he wanted to. Look what he did with Praise and Sutter. He wanted it. He was probably told no. It was in his best interest to get JG. Him not going all in was good, but also seems manipulated.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Questions I’d like to ask Cuck:

1. Are you high?
If “yes”, interview over. If no, then

2. Are you sure? Maybe booze? Scrips? Again if yes, we done. But if no….

3. ARE YOU A f***ING MORON??

I would like to ask Chuck if Cliff consulted him for advice on how to try and aid pedophiles by covering up the Maple Leafs abuse ring.

I think everyone should ask him that all the time.

Reactions: BiggE

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
Now why would a team with a defense consisting of at least 3 AHL/Nick Seeler caliber defensemen bother locking $10M over 7 seasons in Johnny Gaudreau?

To demoralize the team, its goalie, & its young players as the defense gets torched every night?

You don’t sign Gaudreau if you are overtly tanking, & that’s exactly what your scenario would be.

Instead, the Flyers can hopefully build a competent, hardworking, team-defense, non-embarrassment foundation, that maybe won’t score like if they had Gaudreau, but also won’t have 50% of the D over their heads &/or stunting their development.

Then you get all of JVR’s $7M next summer & THAT’s when you add the high-priced FA.

We're not even having the same argument. In the end, Chuck did the right thing by accident. Or rather, a very very small part of the right thing, because he still blew almost 15 million in cap space on Ristolainen, DeAngelo, Deslauriers, and Braun. He still signed a bunch of veteran plugs to take up cap space (with term!) and block prospects. But he didn't trade a premium asset to needlessly dump JVR's contract, so at least we have that?

We need to start from scratch, and I frankly don't think Gaudreau fit the timeline for that. He probably would have kept us as a bubble team picking around the ten slot and we would have faced even more prolonged mediocrity.

But it's patently ridiculous and flagrant incompetence that what held them up from nabbing Gaudreau for 7 years were Ristolainen (5 years), DeAngelo (2), and f***ing Justin Braun (1). And they actually could have had BOTH Gaudreau and DeAngelo. Trade Risto for a pick at the deadline, and don't sign Deslauriers and Braun, and you're basically there. If you were really insistent on competing now, at least that would be something you could hang your hat on. Bringing two local boys home to make some noise would sell seats and make for some entertaining hockey. Hell, if I were you given your previously stated position on this, I would be headed to Broad Street with a torch and pitchfork looking for blood that Chuck couldn't make that happen, because it was an absolute layup.

Reactions: BernieParent

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
What we seem to have are a slew of posters who for months were in full-blown defeatist tank mode now going ballistic that the Flyers didn’t sign Gaudreau for 7 years $ 10M per.

If anyone should be pissed about it, it’s me. Because I “contrarianly” was against tanking & wanted some entertainment value, even if Gaudreau might turn into a bad contract.

And I am annoyed they didn’t get him.

But you’d think 90% of the tankers would be thrilled. For some strange reason, no, now they suddenly wanted him.
Somebody beat me to it, but it’s not that we missed in JG, it’s how we missed on him. For months, all we heard was ‘aggressive retool’ over and over again heading into this offseason. We received notice about how defensively inept the team was and is. What did we do… we signed Tony DeAngelo (an offensive Dman who is bad at defense) for extensive draft capital which we already lack, bought out Lindblom (a young, GOOD, and defensive player) who was one of the only bright spots on our team, and cleared cap space for what? We were told we weren’t in on JG. Why did we need to clear the cap space? We had 6million going off the books when the season starts. If we were just targeting Deslauries (who is below 2mil AAV) and Braun then there was no need.

Fletcher just straight up lied during his press conference to appease the fans, however, it was a transparent as transparency can get.

What is the plan? Retool? This roster is 80% different from when he took the team over from when Hextall took over. Is he trying to retool his own decision making? Aggressive playoff approach? Deslauries and Braun as the main pieces aren’t getting you there.

Again, none of what’s occurring makes any sense. How do we get fed all of this and he can’t even clear enough cap to sign the biggest FA in the market, one who publicly stated that he wanted to come here, and some flexibility to do so. It makes no sense.

Writing is on that wall.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP

Redpath

Sep 30, 2011
Chuck hung us more in limbo by not going all-in for Gaudreau.

If we aren't ready to make a splash, what good is two years of DeAneglo going to do? Wha good is trading a lottery pick for Risto to sign him longterm? Nevermind that 18 months ago we already had carbon copies of those two on the roster already without the cost of assets.

We basically just burned a few picks on DeAngelo in the hopes that Couturier and Hayes are going to lead us anywhere worthwhile in the next two seasons. I'd like bigger aspirations than a 1st round exit.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Oh they're absolutely delusional. I believe they think this team will contend. Look at the rosters Chuck tried to contend with in Minnesota.
I fully believe this too. I actually do believe that Chuck thinks this is a contending team. He thinks a top 4 of Prov, Sanhiem, Risto, DeAngelo are all top level players. I truely think he thinks it was all injuries last year. He thinks a 4th line of Mac-Brown-Des will make other teams cower in fear. He thinks a Cout - Hayes down the middle is one of the best out there.

The rest of us look at the roster and laugh. I honestly dont think Fletcher is a smart man. Nice guy? Sure. But I dont think he is extremely bright.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
Chuck hung us more in limbo by not going all-in for Gaudreau.

If we aren't ready to make a splash, what good is two years of DeAneglo going to do? Wha good is trading a lottery pick for Risto to sign him longterm? Nevermind that 18 months ago we already had carbon copies of those two on the roster already without the cost of assets.

We basically just burned a few picks on DeAngelo in the hopes that Couturier and Hayes are going to lead us anywhere worthwhile in the next two seasons. I'd like bigger aspirations than a 1st round exit.

The only possible explanation of how Fletcher graduated from Harvard was they offered him a basket weaving degree.

Reactions: bennysflyers16
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad