2022/23 Roster Thread III: Run It Back!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
Has it become more and more evident that this organization is simply attracting people who are shitty st their jobs, because they are in fact, a shitty organization with an increasingly pathetic reputation?
They are getting guys that show up for an easy paycheck. Sign here and you will have a job for life no matter what happens. With Snider no longer around to demand some kind of results, dudes are just stealing money.

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
JVR’s contract is Hextall’s last “gift” to the organization.

I said the entire year I’d consider buying him out, because no one was going to take him.

By FAR the prevailing opinion here was to just “ride out” the final year.

Well, you got what you wanted. They didn’t buy him out. They didn’t attach picks to unload him.

Congrats.

Hell, this offseason in many ways is going as people wanted:

No humongous contract on a player who is nearing 30; riding out JVR’s last season.

Only differences are most fans preferred a completely AHL level defense corps & wouldn’t have traded a 2nd for DeAngelo & would have gotten a pick for Risto at the deadline.
Yeah, a sane person with no agenda looks at a roster where every single contract other than JVR's was either signed by or traded for by Fletcher, and says to themselves "You know what? JVR's single year left is the real problem here. Thanks Hextall".

What will you complain about next season? Won't have a single Hextall contract left you can beat over and over like a dead horse anymore.

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
I’m glad that instead of going complete laughingstock, bare-bones AHL level D, only focus on draft picks, like so many wanted,
they actually should have a solid D corps & a little toughness, to the point where, if Couturier & Hayes are healthy, you haven’t completely abandoned them and the team might compete enough to be watchable.

So, no playoffs and a mid-round pick? Would you consider that a successful outcome?

And how would you describe the team's plan going forward based on what you're seeing? Do you see something tangible?

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
Cliff notes?

Nothing you haven't read here.

In a more "professional" way questioning the overall direction - especially after selling the fans on something else. Painting themselves into a corner cap wise. Openly questions the Goon Signing, Questions paying the price they did for Risto - which I won't give him too much credit for as he was gobbling up the signing initially if I remember correctly.

The interesting thing of note, is he threw in that teams wanted the 2023 first for JVR. Not the '24. I'm strongly against signing Gaudreau, but if they were going to sell this aggressive retool BS - they had months to figure out a way to clear cap. I get why people would be frustrated there. He didn't do it, no matter how hard Fletcher will try to proclaim "they tried".

Tangent, but I really have no idea how he remains employed. No other organization would have such unwavering loyalty.

Reactions: BernieParent

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
So I just wanted to check in... was it Torts that re-signed Braun and Connauton or? Or was it Torts that signed Deslauriers?

Just trying to make sure I know where the narrative is at.
Torts asked for Deslauriers, Holmgren wanted Braun back, and Scott was just pounding on the table for Connauton. Poor Chuck.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
So I just wanted to check in... was it Torts that re-signed Braun and Connauton or? Or was it Torts that signed Deslauriers?

Just trying to make sure I know where the narrative is at.

I think Holmgren did that.

But those aren't mistakes and the team has only made a single mistake in 4 years, so Holmgren is actually doing a great job? It's hard to say what Fletcher even does.

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
I'm strongly against signing Gaudreau, but they if they were going to sell this aggressive retool BS - they had months to figure out a way to clear cap. He didn't do it, no matter how hard Fletcher will try to proclaim "they tried".

Not only that, but out of left field a FEW DAYS before free agency, decided to deal multiple picks to acquire and sign a guy to a multi-year. $5M contract. Eating up the very cap space you might need to sign the elite winger who wants to play for this sad franchise.

Oh, and then a few days after that, Carolina acquires a 37 year-old defenseman on a THREE YEAR deal worth more than what we're paying DeAngelo, and which Carolina could easily have offered him... but chose not to.

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
and miss out on a top 5 pick in an unreal draft year. Yep, let’s keep this level of mediocrity up and never improve to anywhere near contention!
Well, since you and so many others think Risto is arguably the worst D in hockey, you should be happy they re-signed him if tanking & a top-5 pick is your strategy.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Well, since you and so many others think Risto is arguably the worst D in hockey, you should be happy they re-signed him if tanking & a top-5 pick is your strategy.

Maybe for one year as a deliberate strategy that returns picks. Five is idiotic.

I guarantee Milbury also had the two Islanders fans defending him to the end too, blaming ownership for his mistakes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cody Webster

mja

Jan 7, 2005
Why would any of us be happy that we now have a complete boat anchor on our cap and roster for the next 5 years eating up 5.1 a year in cap space giving us (sub!)replacement level play? We could instead pay a random replacement level player league minimum for similar results without the albatross contract to deal with down the line.

Redpath

Sep 30, 2011
If you don’t sign Risto & DeAngelo, you don’t sign Gaudreau, either, because you’re completely throwing in the towel in competing in the near future. So obviously you don’t lock up $10M for 7 years on a 29-year/old in that scenario.

@Ghosts Beer

How does signing Risto and DeAngelo actually change any long term plans? They’re just new, more expensive pieces that are roughly lateral moves to the players they replaced (Hagg, Ghost).

You can absolutely persue Gaudreau without having every acquired Risto/TDA, especially considering that never acquiring them would have saved the cap needed to sign him.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Now this is just lazy GB. Instead of blaming a jvr buyout, look at how he mismanaged our cap situation with risto, tda, deslauriers signings. He easily could’ve gotten gaudreau with that cap, signed Manson for ex, and assembled a better team. He put himself in this situation, not hextall. Burns and patch got moved for nothing. Teams know they can fleece chuck because he repeatedly has given up multiple picks for average players + is desperate to cap dump players
OK — Risto & TDA are $10.1M. Deslauriers 1.75M.
Fine, don’t sign them.
Use the $10M on Gaudreau.

Now you’ve got 1.85M total for two open top 6 defensemen.

Don’t sign Braun. Now $3.6M total to divide among 3 top 6 defensemen.

So where you somehow get Manson as a possibility — That’s lazy.

No, you’re talking about $1.2M caliber Dmen making up half of it.

So 3 guys worse than Braun to join Provorov, Sanheim, & York.
A D made halfway of AHLers.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Fine, don’t sign them.

The AHLers are better than Seeler, Connagahayon, and Braun.

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
The whole Risto thing comes down to how a well-run org would handle their interest in such a player versus how they did.

If you think he didn't develop or play as well as he could have because of the situation in Buffalo, that's fine. I don't agree, but I'm willing to play along. If you can sign that guy as a UFA for a bargain basement price without term, bring him in, and see if you can get more out of him, I'm on board. Again, not what I would do, but you've at least given yourself a path to possible success.

What the bad teams do is pay full trade value for that player as if he was already the guy you think he can be if everything goes well.

What the teams that are irredeemably rotten to the core do is then give him 25 million dollars.

mja

Jan 7, 2005
Fine, don’t sign them.

Are you really trying to defend prioritizing Risto, TDA, Braun, and Deslauriers over Gaudreau? :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

We've already got Attard, Hogberg, and Zamula just sitting there. They're not worse than Braun (or Risto for that matter), they're just lacking in NHL games played. Because in this idiotic organization, you have to play in the NHL before you can be trusted to play in the NHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad