2022/23 Roster Thread III: Run It Back!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
He literally said Risto is the reason sanheim had a good year and that deal worked out. Even jayson said risto shouldve been traded at the deadline but dimarco disagreed.

He also said calgary has plenty of left D but never mentioned risto as a potential piece in a Tkachuk deal

Oh...and he seems to really wanna trade TK.
Yeah, he’s a massive f***ing idiot.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Tortorella doesn't make those decisions. The general manager does. Tortorella has never displayed any interest in running roughshod over his GM or usurping his authority.
Any GM who doesn't work with his HC should be fired, or the HC should be fired.

One criteria for the next GM is he's comfortable working with Torts in a rebuild - Torts has a track record of coaching up young teams, and a progressive GM should have no problem getting him the players he likes - since Torts isn't obsessed with veteran scrubs.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Any GM who doesn't work with his HC should be fired, or the HC should be fired.

One criteria for the next GM is he's comfortable working with Torts in a rebuild - Torts has a track record of coaching up young teams, and a progressive GM should have no problem getting him the players he likes - since Torts isn't obsessed with veteran scrubs.

Ridiculous. With guaranteed contracts and coaching stints being as short as they tend to be, a GM would be digging his own grave by ceding the sort of authority you expect to a coach.

Didn't you blame AV for all the roster failures for a while? And now you want to create that actual scenario?

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
Maybe it's just me, but I feel as if qualities often get ascribed to execs or coaches that we largely lack the knowledge to attach with any confidence. Tortorella has had some good periods and bad, same as basically every other coach. Mostly he's been a guy that doesn't matter, but appeals strongly to a certain segment of fanbases. Toward the end of his Columbus career, he was a strong negative. It's incredibly unlikely that guy is a savior.

Someone (hi, deady) might rightly interject here that almost no coaches are going to be saviors. I wouldn't argue with that, but I would say that the probability band of finding one of those guys is the narrowest within the retread category. Forget whether you like Tortorella or not. They were always going to hire in that one limited upside category while ritually disemboweling themselves on the altar of experience. It's endemic of everything wrong with them.

Fight4yourRight

“Chuck’s my guy”
Dec 18, 2017
Yeah, he’s a massive f***ing idiot.
9085DAA9-E6E2-4B31-ABF2-B79B466BCDBB.jpeg

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
The problem is that there's a really good chance Fletcher also believes Risto is elevating Sanheim and not the other way around.
I can see Cuck sending Sanheim, TK and a 1st for Tkachuk and then being shocked that Tkachuk has no interest in signing for more than 1 year. He handles trades and negotiations about as well as a blind man juggles.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

I don’t think Clarke & Homer make every decision for the team. It’s hard for me to imagine they’re not apart of the decision making process along with Fletcher, Lombardi, etc.

We know for sure Clarke & Homer had a hand in hiring Fletcher. So on that alone they’ve done enough damage.

Fight4yourRight

“Chuck’s my guy”
Dec 18, 2017
I don’t think Clarke & Homer make every decision for the team. It’s hard for me to imagine they’re not apart of the decision making process along with Fletcher, Lombardi, etc.

We know for sure Clarke & Homer had a hand in hiring Fletcher. So on that alone they’ve done enough damage.

I do agree. I just find Chris very amusing. Always seems to point to his “insider” knowledge each time someone disagrees. Butthurt about anything that may be perceived as insulting towards the alumni.

There’s evidence that both Clarke and Homer are still very much around the team. It is also clear that Cuck, being the collaborative type, is more or less spineless. So while I disagree that most decisions originate outside of Cuck, I imagine that he still routinely runs things by them and that they feel very comfortable voicing their opinions.

Reactions: LegionOfDoom91

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
That not what Charlie says. Therien has not been a reliable source on a lot of things.
Now Scott may be more independent of them than four years ago, but is that a good thing?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I do agree. I just find Chris very amusing. Always seems to point to his “insider” knowledge each time someone disagrees. Butthurt about anything that may be perceived as insulting towards the alumni.

There’s evidence that both Clarke and Homer are still very much around the team. It is also clear that Cuck, being the collaborative type, is more or less spineless. So while I disagree that most decisions originate outside of Cuck, I imagine that he still routinely runs things by them and that they feel very comfortable voicing their opinions.
It's not a matter of being spineless.
He was hired with a mandate to be collaborative, the "anti-Hextall."

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
It's not a matter of being spineless.
He was hired with a mandate to be collaborative, the "anti-Hextall."

So he was hired to be spineless? That's not a good defense.

Anyway, rumor is that the other folks in management are disgruntled with his performance, so it seems to me that he makes his own bad decisions all on his own.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Therien obviously has a grudge against Comcast for firing him. He complains a lot about Comcast destroying the Flyers culture. He likely sees Clarke & Homer as that last vestige of what he’s accustomed to the Flyers being so. So to me he could be downplaying Clarke & Homer’s involvement to take the spotlight off those guys.

He’ll happily give up Fletcher. He f***ing hates Scott & Val Camillo to the point where he creates a narrative where they’re somehow fully responsible for the current on ice product.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

Don’t get me wrong whether it’s right or wrong I understand being upset about losing a job. But Therien’s sole mission is to try to discredit them anyway possible even to the point when some of this shit doesn’t even make sense logically.

Like okay you hate the business side of the team because they fired you, they took down the Kate Smith statue, they created Gritty, etc.? What does that have to do with the current on ice product? The Flyers have iced middling to lousy rosters for the better of this decade & counting now. Is that the business sides fault too? Did they hire the executives, coaches, & players all those years?

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Therien did want Fletcher fired around December. So for people that generally think like them he was on that boat earlier. Unlike his podcast partner in ASF who finally admitted these past few weeks that Fletcher needs to go. So Therien doesn’t & hasn’t had attachment to defend Fletcher for a while now

He ironically advocated for Clarke to be his replacement because Clarke would have went to the locker room & yelled at them. Somehow that would have made a poor roster play noticeably better. :laugh:

Fight4yourRight

“Chuck’s my guy”
Dec 18, 2017
Therien did want Fletcher fired around December. So for people that generally think like them he was on that boat earlier. Unlike his podcast partner in ASF who finally admitted these past few weeks that Fletcher needs to go. So Therien doesn’t & hasn’t had attachment to defend Fletcher for a while now

He ironically advocated for Clarke to be his replacement because Clarke would have went to the locker room & yelled at them. Somehow that would have made a poor roster play noticeably better. :laugh:

Would have resulted in some plastering hits by Risto and dropping of the gloves by MacEwan, and all would have been forgiven. For a game.

That’s interesting that he wanted him fired that early (for their standards). Makes you think that perhaps it’s Scott (rather than Clarke and Homer), that still has some modicum of confidence in him. In any case, at least Clarke will backstab the living shit out of Cuck to save his own skin. So even if he’s still outwardly supportive, he’s already planning how to bail.

I do get the feeling that perhaps we are downplaying just how much pressure is on Scott this season. Cuck seems to be his pony that he’s bet on one last time. If things don’t pan out, like they inevitably won’t, he’ll also get thrown the f*** out.

I’d sooner bet on Clarke and Homer surviving the coming purge, than Scott and Cuck, that’s for sure. Those are pure cockroaches.

NateThompson44

<3 APPLEYARD <3
Feb 16, 2019
London
I was giving the roster some thought for next season, and I think we’re in a really great place after what can only be described as a near perfect offseason (unfortunately no Thompson signing…yet…)

I put together an ideal lineup for the season with the perfect pairs. The rosters has oodles of intangibles and will bring back the Flyers culture sorely lacking from the team in past seasons

Through the leadership of key vets (see letter allocation) I’m sure we will be a playoff team this coming season

JVR - Hayes (C) - Tippet
Farabee - Couturier- Atkinson
Deslauriers (A) - Brown - Konecny
Cates - Thompson - MacEwan

Provorov - Ristolainen (A)
Sanheim- TDA
Seeler - Braun

Hart
Grosenick

LTIR:
Ellis

Scratched:
Frost
Stewart (comes out of retirement)
York
Yandle (unfortunately scratched)

Last edited:

NateThompson44

<3 APPLEYARD <3
Feb 16, 2019
London
I was giving the roster some thought for next season, and I think we’re in a really great place after what can only be described as a near perfect offseason (unfortunately no Thompson signing…yet…)

I put together an ideal lineup for the season with the perfect pairs. The rosters has oodles of intangibles and will bring back the Flyers culture sorely lacking from the team in past seasons

Through the leadership of key vets (see letter allocation) I’m sure we will be a playoff team this coming season

JVR - Hayes (C) - Tippet
Farabee - Couturier- Atkinson
Deslauriers (A) - Brown - Konecny
Cates - Thompson - MacEwan

Provorov - Ristolainen (A)
Sanheim- TDA
Seeler - Braun

Hart
Grosenick

LTIR:
Ellis

Scratched:
Frost
Stewart (comes out of retirement)
York
Yandle (unfortunately scratched)
Forgot to mention, doggy bags will be distributed for any involuntary vomiting that occurs over the course of reading through this roster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad