2022/23 Roster Thread III: Run It Back!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
1658435382926.png

What I absolutely love about this quote is it contrasts exactly everything I hated about the Hextall regime.

Hextall wanted white-collar professional drones. Clock-in, clock-out. Don't get in trouble. Show up to work on time everyday. He dictated their diets. "Be professional." Hakstol was the perfect workmanlike German to lead Hextall's cadre of industrious workplace drones.

But the team was boring with NO PERSONALITY.

Tortorella is the antithesis of Hextall. He knows you have to have personality; you don't win with choir boys or workplace drones.

This quote is incredibly refreshing to me after years of railing that the Flyers had lost their personality and needed to get it back.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
View attachment 571477

What I absolutely love about this quote is it contrasts exactly everything I hated about the Hextall regime.

Hextall wanted white-collar professional drones. Clock-in, clock-out. Don't get in trouble. Show up to work on time everyday. He dictated their diets. "Be professional." Hakstol was the perfect workmanlike German to lead Hextall's cadre of industrious workplace drones.

Tortorella is the antithesis of Hextall. He knows you have to have personality; you don't win with choir boys or workplace drones.

This quote is incredibly refreshing to me after years of railing that the Flyers had lost their personality and needed to get it back.

I think "racist dbag who can't stick anywhere and picks fights with his goalies" is a shoddy personality to build your franchise image around and it will backfire terribly, and if they want to do something like this they should have picked damned near anyone else. Maybe someone a huge chunk of the city/fanbase won't be looking to dislike. Otherwise you're begging for your "us vs them" mentality to become "us vs our own fans." This isn't the kind of guy the city embraces.

Of course, the alternative is their current path of pretending that Philadelphia is Boston. Because Philadelphia fans are famously fond of Boston. Maybe next they can start pumping the Dallas Cowboys.

Edit: To be precise, I don't mean to imply either way with TDA is racist or not, but that's his image and reputation and I don't see that being shaken between his father's antics and his own incidents; so it doesn't matter either way. It's the way he's perceived. Torts should probably be reading the room here. TDA should be proving himself a good citizen here first before going to these lengths. It's the normal Tortorella thing, but I don't think he's accomplishing what he thinks he is.

Last edited:

Pet Charles

Oct 10, 2017
View attachment 571477

If only words could win hockey games…

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I listened to his other podcast just out of curiosity. It was funny that Jason guy was trying to get ASF to be optimistic about next season but even ASF couldn’t do it. :laugh:
I heard about 30 seconds of his podcast with DiMarco and I can't believe how bad it was. I expected it to be horrific and it was somehow even worse.

There's not one single media member in this city that deserves a single shred of respect. They're all cockroaches. And that includes O'Connor. Him finding a spine for roughly 2 minutes doesn't change everything else he's done.

Pet Charles

Oct 10, 2017
The Flyers had just under 600 man-games-lost due to injury last season. Only Montreal and Arizona had more.

And we're not talking about middling players, either. We're talking about core players. Top 2 centers and #1 D.

Let's see how the team progresses this season before labeling Fletcher's execution an abject failure.
I agree with the first two paragraphs. One does not drop players like Coots, Hayes and Ellis and find success. That’s a ton of wins that went to LTIR.

The problem with the last paragraph is that we’ve seen Chuck’s execution and most of it leaves one scratching a head raw. It’s not just one bad move but series of questionable moves that don’t markedly increase the skill level and drain cap space and draft assets. The opinions aren’t built on nothing.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I'm a bit more relaxed about this season than most.
I don't expect them to compete for a playoff spot, 75-80 points or so.
Torts will figure out who's worth keeping and who should be moved.

Odds are Comcast will clean house at some point, maybe later this summer, maybe by spring.

They still have the 2023 1st, 2 1sts in 2024, and maybe a major trade or two as part of the rebuild under new management.

And they can clear out $20+M in cap room the next two seasons, when you're shedding contracts, retaining a couple million is no big deal as long as you're not shedding money to give out stupid FA contracts.

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
wait...im sorry...people are actually wanting PERSONALITY and the f***ing personality we want/are ok with acquiring is f***ing deangelo??? What in the actual f***.

I am so happy now that we have some personality on our team. We have torts, we have deangelo, we have hayes....all are going to send us to the promise land!

You want personality, you get a guy like wayne simmonds. Not tony d-bag-angelo.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I'm a bit more relaxed about this season than most.
I don't expect them to compete for a playoff spot, 75-80 points or so.
Torts will figure out who's worth keeping and who should be moved.

Odds are Comcast will clean house at some point, maybe later this summer, maybe by spring.

They still have the 2023 1st, 2 1sts in 2024, and maybe a major trade or two as part of the rebuild under new management.

And they can clear out $20+M in cap room the next two seasons, when you're shedding contracts, retaining a couple million is no big deal as long as you're not shedding money to give out stupid FA contracts.

Tortorella doesn't make those decisions. The general manager does. Tortorella has never displayed any interest in running roughshod over his GM or usurping his authority.

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
I heard about 30 seconds of his podcast with DiMarco and I can't believe how bad it was. I expected it to be horrific and it was somehow even worse.

There's not one single media member in this city that deserves a single shred of respect. They're all cockroaches. And that includes O'Connor. Him finding a spine for roughly 2 minutes doesn't change everything else he's done.
He literally said Risto is the reason sanheim had a good year and that deal worked out. Even jayson said risto shouldve been traded at the deadline but dimarco disagreed.

He also said calgary has plenty of left D but never mentioned risto as a potential piece in a Tkachuk deal

Oh...and he seems to really wanna trade TK.

• Wow
Reactions: BiggE and Striiker
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad