2022/23 Roster Thread III: Run It Back!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
View attachment 571477

What I absolutely love about this quote is it contrasts exactly everything I hated about the Hextall regime.

Hextall wanted white-collar professional drones. Clock-in, clock-out. Don't get in trouble. Show up to work on time everyday. He dictated their diets. "Be professional." Hakstol was the perfect workmanlike German to lead Hextall's cadre of industrious workplace drones.

But the team was boring with NO PERSONALITY.

Tortorella is the antithesis of Hextall. He knows you have to have personality; you don't win with choir boys or workplace drones.

This quote is incredibly refreshing to me after years of railing that the Flyers had lost their personality and needed to get it back.

You didn't hate Hextall until after he was gone and the organization told you to hate him, and you were one of the last desperate holdouts that still thought Hakstol was a good coach, but don't let that stop you because you're on a roll.

mja

Jan 7, 2005
There have been some bad mistakes, but people pile on every decision in a knee jerk response.
The bigger problem has been the lack of a coherent vision, which of course, is what you'd expect from a committee.

Fletcher's real flaw wasn't going along, he was hired to go along, it's that he did a bad job of implementing a bad plan the last couple years. His first year was fine, he implemented Holmgren's directives at minimum cost.

You're the one with the tendency to knee jerk responses. You have a knee jerk response to defend and/or rationalize every bad decision Chuck makes. And the bolded is pure and utter fantasy with no basis in reality. Please stop peddling that bullshit, no one is buying it.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
You're the one with the tendency to knee jerk responses. You have a knee jerk response to defend and/or rationalize every bad decision Chuck makes. And the bolded is pure and utter fantasy with no basis in reality. Please stop peddling that bullshit, no one is buying it.
Gudas for Niskanen, 2nd and 3rd for Braun (then traded down in the draft and got a 2nd back), Hayes b/c Patrick was damaged goods.
Didn't trade a 1st rd pick, didn't trade a prospect, built a team that got to the 2nd rd of the playoffs for the first time in a decade.
Yeah, I'd say he fulfilled Holmgren's mandate at minimum cost.

mja

Jan 7, 2005
Gudas for Niskanen, 2nd and 3rd for Braun (then traded down in the draft and got a 2nd back), Hayes b/c Patrick was damaged goods.
Didn't trade a 1st rd pick, didn't trade a prospect, built a team that got to the 2nd rd of the playoffs for the first time in a decade.
Yeah, I'd say he fulfilled Holmgren's mandate at minimum cost.

Your fantasy is that Holmgren is / was mandating anything! Your scapegoat is a bit player in this current mess.

Reactions: Striiker

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Your fantasy is that Holmgren is / was mandating anything! Your scapegoat is a bit player in this current mess.
Were you in a time capsule for the last decade?
Holmgren was the VP who fired Hextall and hired Fletcher, and he was explicit about a "bias for action."
I mean if the guy who hires you states that, and Scott reiterates it, you don't consider that a "mandate."

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Holmgren was the VP who fired Hextall and hired Fletcher, and he was explicit about a "bias for action."
I mean if the guy who hires you states that, and Scott reiterates it, you don't consider that a "mandate."

Clarke recommended Fletcher.

If Holmgren were calling the shots JG would be a Flyer. Homer was actually willing to play young guys when he had them, too, unlike Fletcher who thinks they're a major problem when they play. Aside from grotesque cap and asset management (hallmarks of Fletcher before he got here), little of this is very Holmgrenny.

mja

Jan 7, 2005
Holmgren is checked out at this point and has been since they gave the keys to Fletcher. This mess belongs squarely to Fletcher.

The whole Bob Clarke GM tree needs to be burnt to the ground.

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
STG:

“Text from one of the men who interviewed for the Flyer position. Stated it was one of the most embarrassing things he’s ever seen”

“With 100% certainty - the team wanted to sign TDA last off season. Were prevented by the higher ups in the organization r/t optics”

“We know from people behind the scenes that Chuck Fletcher needs to have 6-7 people to talk to him about a decision. That he can’t make a decision on his own”

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
Hey don't look at me. I don't talk to any of them.

If I wanted to waste time like that I'd just talk to my dog. Although that'd be more productive because she actually acknowledges that you're talking to her and can understand some of what you're saying, which is more than you can say about quite a few people on here.

Like a certain Arizona native, for example, who I'm convinced isn't even a real person because his posts completely disregard literally everything said in the posts he's responding to and the sentences (if you can even call them that) are an incoherent jumble that make @kudymen 's HatcherBot seem like a real person by comparison.

I am always happy to get tagged in a Roster Thread ughhhhh :laugh:

Anyway. Scheissebots are of no use anymore - the authentic HITZ :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: have surpassed them, either with their HARD HITZ love, or their hollier than thou approach ("I am offended, other people are flaming, I am not"

Reactions: BiggE and Striiker

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
Language is fun.

Positive: “Got to the 2nd round of the playoffs for the first time in a decade”

Negative: “After overpaying their way into ‘good enough’ players, their very highly paid coach shit the bed so hard that they barely beat the 12th seed and looked awful doing it. This was also their peak.”

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
STG:

“Text from one of the men who interviewed for the Flyer position. Stated it was one of the most embarrassing things he’s ever seen”

“With 100% certainty - the team wanted to sign TDA last off season. Were prevented by the higher ups in the organization r/t optics”

“We know from people behind the scenes that Chuck Fletcher needs to have 6-7 people to talk to him about a decision. That he can’t make a decision on his own”
Rumor has it that Cuck needs to consult with at least 3 subordinates and get both Clarke’s and Scott’s permission to take a dump.

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
STG:

Who/what is STG?

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
Clarke recommended Fletcher.

If Holmgren were calling the shots JG would be a Flyer. Homer was actually willing to play young guys when he had them, too, unlike Fletcher who thinks they're a major problem when they play. Aside from grotesque cap and asset management (hallmarks of Fletcher before he got here), little of this is very Holmgrenny.
You don't think Clarke would want the shiny new toy in JG?

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
You didn't hate Hextall until after he was gone and the organization told you to hate him, and you were one of the last desperate holdouts that still thought Hakstol was a good coach, but don't let that stop you because you're on a roll.
I wasn't burning Hextall at the stake before he was fired, but I was getting sick of him and laughed when he was fired. And I laughed more when it came out just how much of a ridiculous dictator he was. Of course, at the time he was canned it wasn't known just how overrated his drafts were. Some people still labor under the delusion he was a good drafter.

I still don't think Hakstol is a bad coach. He was scapegoated by many fans. That's not to say he's a great coach, or my preference in a coach, but I also don't believe he's a bad one.

I have more of a middle ground opinion on many Flyers-related things than most on this board.

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
Anyone try listing all the things that probably need to go right for this team to be close to a playoffs berth? Fletcher’s always been living on a prayer.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Can you expand on this? What position? What was embarrassing?
I didn't listen but i'd have to imagine it's referencing the coaching position. I mean, Torts brought up in some interview that the Flyers brought up Deslauriers to him in one of his job interviews. That came out a couple weeks before FA even started so we knew who the Flyers were going to be targeting. So I mean having a team praise that player in a job interview is pretty damn embarrassing in itself.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
I wasn't burning Hextall at the stake before he was fired, but I was getting sick of him and laughed when he was fired. And I laughed more when it came out just how much of a ridiculous dictator he was. Of course, at the time he was canned it wasn't known just how overrated his drafts were. Some people still labor under the delusion he was a good drafter.

I still don't think Hakstol is a bad coach. He was scapegoated by many fans. That's not to say he's a great coach, or my preference in a coach, but I also don't believe he's a bad one.

I have more of a middle ground opinion on many Flyers-related things than most on this board.
I still cant believe he had an assistant coach be his rat. That to me is mind boggling. Unconscionable. He seems to be doing a great job in Pitt as the assistant GM.

Hakstol wasn't as bad as made out to be. Just a plain average coach. Didnt see many Seattle games though hoped he would have learned from some of his mistakes n Philly. Not sure if he did or didn't.

Reactions: Ghosts Beer
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad