2022/23 Roster Thread III: Run It Back!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fight4yourRight

“Chuck’s my guy”
Dec 18, 2017
Fletcher was hired to be "collaborative." The anti-Hextall. I don't think that's very controversial.
This is what happens when decisions are made by committee.

There have been some bad mistakes, but people pile on every decision in a knee jerk response.
The bigger problem has been the lack of a coherent vision, which of course, is what you'd expect from a committee.

The biggest villain is Scott, b/c he's the "CEO." It's his responsibility to make changes when things become dysfunctional.
To absolve him b/c he's ignorant - his job is to learn enough to be able to judge the performance of his subordinates.

Now the 2018-19 moves were an impatient response to a half-ass rebuild, which was partially Hextall's fault - if you're gonna rebuild, rebuild. If Snider gave him the green light he should have run with it, if not, then Snider is at fault. But Holmgren got tired of the team floundering, tired of the college coach. Which explains the big name HC and the "win now" moves - and it worked until COVID.

Summer of 2021 was a decision to stick with AV and hope he could recapture the 2019-20 magic. That was the biggest mistake, b/c it meant reworking the roster to AV's preferences (if I only had the right players) instead of admitting 2019-20 was a fluke.

Fletcher's real flaw wasn't going along, he was hired to go along, it's that he did a bad job of implementing a bad plan the last couple years. His first year was fine, he implemented Holmgren's directives at minimum cost. Had two very good drafts. Since then, not so good.

But the moves since this spring have been completely incoherent, as if 2 or 3 people are grabbing the steering wheel, and the Flyers truck is weaving down the road. Which is why I think Fletcher isn't in control.

The solution is simple - fire everyone, bring in a competent "CEO" who has a basic understanding of sports in general and the NHL in particular, and hire a GM who understands how the game has changed since the lockout. Give the GM complete authority to sink or swim, no "senior advisors" and see what happens.
1D69702D-6C17-4EBF-A3BD-0775C9094F25.gif

Reactions: Rich Nixon

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
Fletcher was hired to be "collaborative." The anti-Hextall. I don't think that's very controversial.
This is what happens when decisions are made by committee.

There have been some bad mistakes, but people pile on every decision in a knee jerk response.
The bigger problem has been the lack of a coherent vision, which of course, is what you'd expect from a committee.

The biggest villain is Scott, b/c he's the "CEO." It's his responsibility to make changes when things become dysfunctional.
To absolve him b/c he's ignorant - his job is to learn enough to be able to judge the performance of his subordinates.

Now the 2018-19 moves were an impatient response to a half-ass rebuild, which was partially Hextall's fault - if you're gonna rebuild, rebuild. If Snider gave him the green light he should have run with it, if not, then Snider is at fault. But Holmgren got tired of the team floundering, tired of the college coach. Which explains the big name HC and the "win now" moves - and it worked until COVID.

Summer of 2021 was a decision to stick with AV and hope he could recapture the 2019-20 magic. That was the biggest mistake, b/c it meant reworking the roster to AV's preferences (if I only had the right players) instead of admitting 2019-20 was a fluke.

Fletcher's real flaw wasn't going along, he was hired to go along, it's that he did a bad job of implementing a bad plan the last couple years. His first year was fine, he implemented Holmgren's directives at minimum cost. Had two very good drafts. Since then, not so good.

But the moves since this spring have been completely incoherent, as if 2 or 3 people are grabbing the steering wheel, and the Flyers truck is weaving down the road. Which is why I think Fletcher isn't in control.

The solution is simple - fire everyone, bring in a competent "CEO" who has a basic understanding of sports in general and the NHL in particular, and hire a GM who understands how the game has changed since the lockout. Give the GM complete authority to sink or swim, no "senior advisors" and see what happens.
Fletcher was hired as the President/GM. He has failed. There is no committee as he makes the final call. Why cant you except this?

Stop blaming others and blame Fletcher.

Reactions: Curufinwe and BiggE

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Do you not recognize that every time you do this you're whining? If you don't like it then leave. We've already established that you're high on hopium. That doesn't mean the rest of us need to be.

P.S. We've also explained to you countless times that everything else in your message is disingenuous fabricated garbage.
I take offense to the 2nd part of your post. There are posters here who are disingenuous & fabricate, but I do not.

There are simply many cliquish members whose egos are so large that they believe anyone with the audacity to see things differently from the echo chamber must be doing so to intentionally “troll.”

Diversity of thought & differing perspectives are not disingenuous & not “trolling.” But there are plenty here who want to treat the board like the Flyers version of Orwell’s Ministry of Truth.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I take offense to the 2nd part of your post. There are posters here who are disingenuous & fabricate, but I do not.

There are simply many cliquish members whose egos are so large that they believe anyone with the audacity to see things differently from the echo chamber must be doing so to intentionally “troll.”

Diversity of thought & differing perspectives are not disingenuous & not “trolling.” But there are plenty here who want to treat the board like the Flyers version of Orwell’s Ministry of Truth.

Every single one of your posts about the board's stance on Frost is a fabrication.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey

You have had it explained to you several times by multiple posters why your stance about what people think about this off-season isn’t what you’re representing it as.

At this point we can assume that you’re not capable of understanding simple statements or that you’re intentionally misrepresenting what people are saying. I don’t believe that it’s the first one.

The good majority of this board believes something and you’re the one that is complaining about those people complaining. You could just ignore it if it bothered you so much but you feed the flames.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Fletcher was hired as the President/GM. He has failed. There is no committee as he makes the final call. Why cant you except this?

Stop blaming others and blame Fletcher.
Not according to Charlie, Torts for example was an "ownership" decision to bring in a name HC to sell tickets.
See the BSH podcast.

Fletcher is the favorite scapegoat, but this is an organizational problem, and it starts with Scott.
Fletcher's flaw is poor implementation of a bad strategy.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
You have had it explained to you several times by multiple posters why your stance about what people think about this off-season isn’t what you’re representing it as.

At this point we can assume that you’re not capable of understanding simple statements or that you’re intentionally misrepresenting what people are saying. I don’t believe that it’s the first one.

The good majority of this board believes something and you’re the one that is complaining about those people complaining. You could just ignore it if it bothered you so much but you feed the flames.
Ask him who he wanted us to draft in 2017 ;)

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
Not according to Charlie, Torts for example was an "ownership" decision to bring in a name HC to sell tickets.
See the BSH podcast.

Fletcher is the favorite scapegoat, but this is an organizational problem, and it starts with Scott.
fletcher is not a scapegoat. Whatever his mandate is/was he failed miserably at it.

Not sure how you can continue to defend him.

Torts isnt selling any tickets.

Reactions: Sombastate

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Orrrrr, lets just do the smart thing and stop interacting with them. Parasites die when they stop being fed.
Hey don't look at me. I don't talk to any of them.

If I wanted to waste time like that I'd just talk to my dog. Although that'd be more productive because she actually acknowledges that you're talking to her and can understand some of what you're saying, which is more than you can say about quite a few people on here.

Like a certain Arizona native, for example, who I'm convinced isn't even a real person because his posts completely disregard literally everything said in the posts he's responding to and the sentences (if you can even call them that) are an incoherent jumble that make @kudymen 's HatcherBot seem like a real person by comparison.

PhillyWings

May 10, 2010
PA
See the BSH podcast.

Never trust the shills

Reactions: Flyerfan4life

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
The Flyers had just under 600 man-games-lost due to injury last season. Only Montreal and Arizona had more.

And we're not talking about middling players, either. We're talking about core players. Top 2 centers and #1 D.

Let's see how the team progresses this season before labeling Fletcher's execution an abject failure.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Well, Torts will be fun, the press conferences might be better than the games!

He will get this team playing better hockey than last season.

And his style of play is fun to watch, they'll pressure the puck, cause turnovers, get breakaways - now whether they can convert them is another matter - but you won't see his teams with the ice tilted against them for long (or there will be new players on the ice in a few games).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad