2022/23 Roster Thread III: Run It Back!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Tortorella is getting killed for this quote.

FYJgYFhXgAELWuA

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Here's Torts quote on DeAngelo

The thing that bothers me and some of the things I've read is people are upset about Tony DeAngelo," Tortorella said. "Tony DeAngelo's a hell of a player, Tony DeAngelo has personality. Is he going to say and do some stupid stuff? You're damn right he is. But I'd rather have a guy doing stupid stuff than having a choir boy here just going about your business. You don't win that way, you don't win championships, you don't build a team without any personality. Tony's going to bring that and, plus, he's a hell of a player.

Apparently racism and all of Tony's other baggage can just be waived off as "stupid stuff" because he's not a "choirboy" and he's a great player (he's not). Torts is a f***ing dope and its kind of sad of him to stoop this low. Its pretty clear the losers in management set up this little phone interview and gave him a directive ro defend their garbage moves.

Last edited:

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I don’t think Tortorella is necessarily talking about DeAngelo’s views off the ice when saying that stuff. I think fans/media online view it through that scope but I don’t think people within the NHL do. I think he’s saying it through the scope of DeAngelo being a problem in locker rooms in the past.

But yeah the optics of it don’t look good. You’re going to get killed for that type of quote. I think you have to pick your words wisely when talking about DeAngelo because it’s being looked at through different scopes.

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Torts is the only hope that this organization has to get some of the fanbase back.

They’re going to ask him to go full heel in hopes that some people will eat it up because that’s the “Flyers way.”

Exactly..and if you read the replies on Twitter it worked to some extent. Much of the fanbase gets what it deserves.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
It's obvious that Torts had no illusions when he took this job:

"It pisses me off, some of the things that have been said about those guys because I think everybody wanted the big splash. Well, we have to wait our turn for that big splash. We still have some things to do with our foundation of the team and maybe when our cap releases and contracts are moved or things are sorted out that way, maybe that's when you look for that."

He knows they're not going to be competitive this year, that it's about establishing his approach and evaluating players in that context - Torts doesn't care about last season - but how players react to the demands he places upon them.

I think it's obvious the dysfunction is the entire FO, starting with Scott, Fletcher and the advisors. They all most go, a new President brought in who actually knows something about hockey, and a young progressive GM who'll ban old school thinking.

Ironically, I think Torts was a far better pick than the Dinos realize, they thought they were getting AV, v.20, the quick turnaround artist, bring in some proven veterans and instant success - instead they got a HC with experience turning around young teams who likes to work with what's already on the roster instead of looking for quick fixes.

I think a new GM will find it easy to work with Torts, whereas most Dino HCs would apply pressure to bring in veterans, Torts has his Cup, and I think is more interested in building a legacy here than winning now.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Tortorella has always been us vs them. Feature not a bug.

OTB5L1b.gif

giphy.gif

Jo Jo, I never had any attachment to Fletcher, I've just felt this last season that the dysfunction went way deeper - started when he was brought in, and it was clear that he was hired to be the "anti-Hextall," to build consensus (i.e., allow the senior advisors to have influence over decisions).

I'm still curious to find out who influenced decisions, the quick reversal on Risto reeks of the old school guys and their obsession with "the Flyers way." So does Deslauriers.

Scott strikes me as the "last man to get his ear" kind of manager, and that may explain a lot about the confusion, his only "plan" is to make moves to sell tickets with zero understainding how to run a sports franchise.

It wouldn't surprise if Fletcher has pretty much checked out, tired of always having to play office politics and is hoping to get fired (and get the rest of his contract), but is doing a stealth rebuild b/c they won't let him do it overtly. I do wonder if Gauthier partially reflects Torts MO, which is a mix of big, relative fast fowards who are skilled and physical, and fast skilled smurfs - the hit leaders on his team are rarely 4th line guys. That may have been Fletcher's "parting gift."

Reactions: BigToe

Bigkarl

Dec 27, 2017
The writing must really be on the wall that this is going to be an epic failure of a season. DH usually waits for a 10+ game losing streak to pretend he wasn’t tirelessly defending every decision the coach/gm has made. He’s already laying the groundwork for his shtick and it’s not even the end of the summer.

• Haha
Reactions: Nizzle and Rebels57

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I don't see this as an epic failure, rather, a reset under Torts. He did the same in TB and CBJ, spent the first year evaluating then made changes toward the end of that year and the offseason. Last year was the epic failure.

So winning isn't the priority, player development and evaluation is the priority.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Jo Jo, I never had any attachment to Fletcher, I've just felt this last season that the dysfunction went way deeper - started when he was brought in, and it was clear that he was hired to be the "anti-Hextall," to build consensus (i.e., allow the senior advisors to have influence over decisions).

I'm still curious to find out who influenced decisions, the quick reversal on Risto reeks of the old school guys and their obsession with "the Flyers way." So does Deslauriers.

Scott strikes me as the "last man to get his ear" kind of manager, and that may explain a lot about the confusion, his only "plan" is to make moves to sell tickets with zero understainding how to run a sports franchise.

It wouldn't surprise if Fletcher has pretty much checked out, tired of always having to play office politics and is hoping to get fired (and get the rest of his contract), but is doing a stealth rebuild b/c they won't let him do it overtly. I do wonder if Gauthier partially reflects Torts MO, which is a mix of big, relative fast fowards who are skilled and physical, and fast skilled smurfs - the hit leaders on his team are rarely 4th line guys. That may have been Fletcher's "parting gift."
Once again, if that was all Dave Scott cared about and he was as involved as much as you say he is, Johnny Gaudreau would be a Flyer. That same statement can be made with regards to Holmgren pulling the strings.

I see that you’re plotting the exit strategy though after years of defending the man at every turn.

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I don’t think Tortorella is necessarily talking about DeAngelo’s views off the ice when saying that stuff. I think fans/media online view it through that scope but I don’t think people within the NHL do. I think he’s saying it through the scope of DeAngelo being a problem in locker rooms in the past.

But yeah the optics of it don’t look good. You’re going to get killed for that type of quote. I think you have to pick your words wisely when talking about DeAngelo because it’s being looked at through different scopes.

Certainly possible. Oh well. Entire thing is going to be a trainwreck including Torts vs DeAngelo.

Reactions: LegionOfDoom91

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly

"I was wrong."

Honestly, it's not so f***ing hard to admit, and we'd all have a hell of a lot more respect for you if you were able to own up to it rather than do this weird revisionist shit where you end up moving towards our position while trying to maintain your contrarian pose. Scott & Holmgren are just weird scapegoats, given that it's perfectly clear (especially now!) that roster decisions have been Chuck (with his mentor Clarke in the background) all along.

Reactions: BiggE
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad