2022/23 Roster Thread III: Run It Back!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
What players from that team besides Hart haven't come out and denied allegation so far?
I know off the top of my head Makar and Mete did but they weren't CHL players so they didn't have that cloud hanging over their head. There were a few others but they're not popping into my head at the moment.

Looking into it, I guess that Hart's representatives spoke on behalf of six of the players that they represent through an attorney denying that any of them had anything to do with it.

You would still think that the Flyers themselves would want to put out some type of statement though. Then again the Flyers haven't been proactive in their entire history so...

Edit:

Reactions: freakydallas13

wuf

Sponsor
Aug 16, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
I haven't been keeping up here as of late but I'm glad to hear that everyone is just as pissed off as I am.

I think I speak for all of us when I say that my biggest fear is that Tortorella gets this team to Round 1 of the playoffs, we exit early, and then we do the most typical Flyers management thing and trade more picks for an unsigned player, then proceed to overpay them and lock us into mediocrity even further.

Who am I kidding, we'll do that even when we don't make the playoffs!

Free Coots.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I very much agree with trying to give a lot of these kids a chance to play. It’s going to come with a little bit of a caveat though - because playing with a McEwen or Deslauries is going to make things a little hard to judge but there should be spots in this lineup.

I don’t think anything you suggest is wrong so to speak - but I just feel as an organization they continue to ignore the elephant in the room. They can try to win in between the lines a little more - but the basis of every contender is a talented young core that can not only match up - but exceed the performance of its counterparts.

Until I see a dedication from the Flyers to acquire that core, it’s hard to believe. I’m going to give Torts, and Thompson a chance - but there’s not a lot to work with here.
Well, these kids were highly touted. They’re getting their chance.
They just have to step up & take it.

Honestly, it’s what much of this board wanted.

The chances are there for all of them. And hopefully some of them actually rise to the occasion.

There are no more excuses.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022

The chances are there for all of them. And hopefully some of them actually rise to the occasion.

So you think if say allison and Tanner both outplay ND they will earn a spot on the roster? Flyers hockey is back with ND on one side Zac Mac on the other. The new bruise brothers. Hopefully marketing pounces and gets those t-shirts ready.

• Haha
Reactions: Fight4yourRight

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
So you think if say allison and Tanner both outplay ND they will earn a spot on the roster? Flyers hockey is back with ND on one side Zac Mac on the other. The new bruise brothers. Hopefully marketing pounces and gets those t-shirts ready.
I don't think MacEwen has a regular roster spot.

It's something like:

Farabee - Couturier- TK
JVR - Hayes - Atkinson
Cates - Frost - Tippett
Deslauriers - Laughton - Allison
Laczynski

Laczynski/Allison/Frost/Cates/Tippett all fighting for roster spots to start the season.

With Farabee out:

JVR-Couturier-TK
Laughton-Hayes-Atkinson
Cates-Frost-Tippett
Deslauriers-Laczynski-Allison

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Go look at Torts' history.

He may not make the same decisions the board would make, he values "playing the right way," but that has nothing to do with fighting or "toughness," no one will ever call St. Louis or Atkinson tough guys.

But he will expect Frost to back check and be in the proper defensive position, his philosophy is you can coach defense but offense is primarily instinctive, defense is about effort, smarts and discipline. He won't expect Frost to hit people (some others yes, Hayes will be pushed to use his big body), but he will expect him to be in position to use his feet and stick to break up plays.

Torts will love Allison, Laczynski maybe, Allison has the speed to play a pressure game, not sure about Laczynski, he's smart enough but he may not be fast enough.

I noticed the first thing Deslauriers said after he was signed was he was going to work on his skating this summer, guess he did a little research on Torts.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

The problem is that it isn't up to them. We've repeatedly seen players step up and outplay guys currently on the roster, for nothing. Overcoming Fletcher's incompetent biases is nearly impossible.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
MacEwen, if they sign him, is a spare.

Players like Desnoyers and Foerster will start in the AHL, I assume, but put on a lot of pressure if the young guys on the NHL roster don't perform.

I can't stress enough how gigantic of a season this is for Frost. He MUST step up. They need him. Now.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Frost and Tippett are two players with pedigrees whose time is now. They either put up or are out of the organization. If they step up, it completely changes the dynamic of this team.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
MacEwen, if they sign him, is a spare.

Players like Desnoyers and Foerster will start in the AHL, I assume, but put on a lot of pressure if the young guys on the NHL roster don't perform.

I can't stress enough how gigantic of a season this is for Frost. He MUST step up. They need him. Now.

MacEwen will play 70-82 games. He's no spare to them.

Frost has repeatedly proven that his performance is irrelevant. He heavily outplayed Thompson for every second of the year from camp until the season ended, and yet if Thompson had ever gotten healthy Frost would have been demoted immediately.

He was ordered to fix his defense. So he spent his time in a bottom six role doing exactly what they asked, and their response was to whine about his offense and demote him. So then he worked on his offense and they responded by saying they had to coach that out of him.

That's not a process where the player has any control over the idiotic whims of the people running the team into the ground until they hit magma.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Frost was always seen as a top 9 player, he just never seized the opportunity.
It's amazing all the excuses made for him, but Kyrou and Thomas started on the bottom in St Louis and that didn't deter them.

2017-18: Sundqvist played 42 games, 9:03 at ES
2018-19 Thomas played 70 games, 11:39 at ES
2019-20: Kyrou played 28 games, 10:33 at ES

All played their way up the lineup the following seasons.

Frost just has to produce, with Torts there will be no excuses, he's started Wennberg at 21, Bjorkstrand at 21, Rychel at 21 (who failed to deliver), Dubois at 19, Milano at 21, Texier at 20.

Frost and Tippett are 23, at this point in their careers, put up or shut up (and pack your bags).

Reactions: Ghosts Beer

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Frost was always seen as a top 9 player, he just never seized the opportunity.
It's amazing all the excuses made for him, but Kyrou and Thomas started on the bottom in St Louis and that didn't deter them.

2017-18: Sundqvist played 42 games, 9:03 at ES
2018-19 Thomas played 70 games, 11:39 at ES
2019-20: Kyrou played 28 games, 10:33 at ES

All played their way up the lineup the following seasons.

Frost just has to produce, with Torts there will be no excuses, he's started Wennberg at 21, Bjorkstrand at 21, Rychel at 21 (who failed to deliver), Dubois at 19, Milano at 21, Texier at 20.

Frost and Tippett are 23, at this point in their careers, put up or shut up (and pack your bags).

Those players are in organizations where merit matters. Frost is not. Frost has seized his opportunities and his reward is demotion in favor of worse players.

If they intend to keep Laughton at center it is quite likely Frost will be in the AHL no matter how much better he is than Brown due to the obsession with fictional roles

Flyerfan18

Dec 2, 2017
The problem is that it isn't up to them. We've repeatedly seen players step up and outplay guys currently on the roster, for nothing. Overcoming Fletcher's incompetent biases is nearly impossible.
No we haven’t. That’s the problem. We had to play a bunch last spring and Cates was the only stand out. York showed he was ready when he came back the second time as well. Rest didn’t show much except they aren’t NHL players yet. Frost had all kinds of chances and did diddly squat.

MayonnaiseOreo

I Hate the Flyers
Apr 8, 2012
A Glass of Milk
MacEwen will play 70-82 games. He's no spare to them.

Frost has repeatedly proven that his performance is irrelevant. He heavily outplayed Thompson for every second of the year from camp until the season ended, and yet if Thompson had ever gotten healthy Frost would have been demoted immediately.

He was ordered to fix his defense. So he spent his time in a bottom six role doing exactly what they asked, and their response was to whine about his offense and demote him. So then he worked on his offense and they responded by saying they had to coach that out of him.

That's not a process where the player has any control over the idiotic whims of the people running the team into the ground until they hit magma.
Edit: Somehow wrong thread.

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad