Prospect Info: 2022-23 Ducks Prospects

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
I just wholeheartedly disagree with this. I believe the extension for signing NCAA players is in there to increase likelihood that drafted players will sign with the team that drafted them, not to protect their rights. Agree to disagree.

Thrun is very smart but lacks athleticism and dynamism. Kind of the opposite of the dmen we have been drafting for awhile. Who knows how he will translate.
I’m honestly not sure we are arguing the same thing. It protects the teams by then not losing the player rights after two years, when any student at a top school is unlikely to leave, yes. But it provides next to no incentive for a player to go to that team at the end of 4 years, and has a massive benefit to the student as well - a juniors player would have to stop playing hockey entirely when they ran out of juniors eligibility in order to get that kind of career control 4 years after being drafted, because (Freddy Andersen) they’d be drafted again at 2 years. The college kid can just play hockey, get an education, then have career control.

The 4 year period is to the teams benefit. What happens after the 4 years is to the players benefit, and is unique in its end state. I’m not arguing your point, but I really don’t understand why you don’t see how it benefits the players as well in a rather unique way.

Agree to disagree.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
It’s a loophole in that every player not in a college program would have to re-enter the draft after 2 years or else not play in North America.

I feel like players in college need to have to sit a full calendar year as the penalty for doing this and having the reward of not having to re-enter the draft.

But, it’s in the CBA, and it isn’t going away unless the big market teams start getting routinely burned by it.

I know that if a first round pick doesn't want to sign with their drafting club, that club gets compensated. The problem lies when it's not a first round pick and that pick blossoms. Could you imagine if Terry decided to go elsewhere?

There needs to be some protection for drafting teams because it feels as though college FA have no consequences when they know they can simply wait it out and pick the choice of team they want. It's a waste of a draft pick, especially if some teams are good at drafting in later rounds like Anaheim.

I do like that college player sit a full calendar year and re-enter the draft idea.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
I know that if a first round pick doesn't want to sign with their drafting club, that club gets compensated. The problem lies when it's not a first round pick and that pick blossoms. Could you imagine if Terry decided to go elsewhere?

There needs to be some protection for drafting teams because it feels as though college FA have no consequences when they know they can simply wait it out and pick the choice of team they want. It's a waste of a draft pick, especially if some teams are good at drafting in later rounds like Anaheim.

I do like that college player sit a full calendar year and re-enter the draft idea.
If Terry got traded earlier no one here would care because almost every single person here didn't think he would "figure" it out.

Reactions: Deuce22

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
If Terry got traded earlier no one here would care because almost every single person here didn't think he would "figure" it out.
ehh... the doubt came when he couldn't translate his AHL play to the NHL for two consecutive seasons. Terry was the head of the hype along with Steel, including at the AHL level.

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada
lame about Thrun. luckily we've got an absurd amount of good young dmen so it doesn't hurt as much as it could but it's still frustrating. you draft a player and have every intention of signing him but we get nothing now that he gets to use a loophole in the CBA. it's his right but we really ought to get some type of compensation pick or it.

if we end up trading with Boston again at the deadline maybe we can work him into a deal for a slightly higher pick or something. idk.

My concern with this line of thinking is people were saying the same thing years ago when we had Montour, Theo, Hampus, Manson, Fowler, etc.. Now we've got nothin'. I hope Verbeek doesn't squander what we have.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
My concern with this line of thinking is people were saying the same thing years ago when we had Montour, Theo, Hampus, Manson, Fowler, etc.. Now we've got nothin'. I hope Verbeek doesn't squander what we have.
Yup. Remember when people argued that we had so many quality prospects coming that we needed to unload veterans to make space for them?

Reactions: ohcomeonref

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

We stopped drafting D-mean on balance for three draft seasons, 2016-2018. We're great at drafting D-men, but not so with forwards. Anaheim kinda shot themselves in the foot during those periods. When we went back to drafting a balanced draft in 2019, we've hit on a splurge of D-men with good potential. The reason we drafted heavily on defense with three of our first four picks last year was due to both LaCombe and Thrun refusing to sign with after their junior season ended.

Anyhow, Verbeek won't squander what we have if we follow the long term plan and build up depth at the NHL and AHL level. If we start to gun for the playoffs run next year, then we are going to be dipping into the defensive pool b/c that's where most of the value is in our youth org.

With that said, I wonder if Verbeek will try to sign Moore after his season is up this year? Has Moore shown enough to Verbeek? I know Murray thinks highly of Moore and that was two seasons ago.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Yup. Remember when people argued that we had so many quality prospects coming that we needed to unload veterans to make space for them?

Because we couldn't develop any forward prospects, we used our D to supplement. At the VGK draft, Murray kept the vets over Theodore b/c we were in win-mode window. Of course, none of us knew there was going to be an expansion draft when we drafted Theo. I actually had Theo sign my jersey after a prospects game and so hyped he was a Duck! Then we traded Vats for Rico. Still wanting to stay in the run, we traded Pettersson for Sprong. With Kesler, Eaves, and Perry no longer able to help physically on the ice, Murray decided to rebuild at the 2018-19 TDL and away went Montour.

It's very sad to know that F Kase has an NHL caliber game, but there was no game due to his concussions of the brain. Our top-10 pick Nick Ritchie was supposed to be a stud, but turns out to be a dud. They too would be traded in ensuing TDL's.

Murray just had terrible luck with health injuries hitting Kesler and Eaves in one season that carried over to another season. That second season was when Perry also feel to injury and wasn't showing up like a team player so he got bought out. Crazy to think we were WCF participants to first round exits to rebuild so quickly.

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
UFA doesn’t make sense. If they changed the rule to rfa or a compensatory pick then whatever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad