Prospect Info: 2022-23 Ducks Prospects

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

alsmiss94

Oct 26, 2022
lame about Thrun. luckily we've got an absurd amount of good young dmen so it doesn't hurt as much as it could but it's still frustrating. you draft a player and have every intention of signing him but we get nothing now that he gets to use a loophole in the CBA. it's his right but we really ought to get some type of compensation pick or it.

if we end up trading with Boston again at the deadline maybe we can work him into a deal for a slightly higher pick or something. idk.

Reactions: Arthuros and ADHB

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
That's annoying. I was semi excited about him 'cos his Ducks don't have many defensemen of his style in the system. Could really used his services in the near future. Good that he at least let the team know early about his plans. Will be interesting to see where he wants to go then. I thought that the Ducks' current situation would have been tempting for him 'cos the defense is a mess right now and he could have played his way into the lineup. Sure there are a lot of great defensemen prospects in the system but Thrun is older than a lot of them so he could have had a better opportunity. Teams in the east like Boston, Rangers, Islanders and New Jersey have solid defenses at the moment. It won't be easy break into those lineups.

Ducks

May 29, 2007
Tustin
He's probably going to end up as a bottom pairing guy in the NHL and we're deep on D prospects so I really don't think this hurts us much.

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
probably would've preferred Lacombe anyway after quickly watching some highlights. I worry about Thrun's offensive game a bit, it's easy to find capable defensive dmen.

Even if you think Lacombe is more boom/bust, i'm fine with that because of all our other guys

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Henry Thrun will not sign

robert-downey-jr-face-palm.gif

Really could have used his skills as a 4-year NCAA defenseman and captain of Harvard. Also, I hate Harvard seniors b/c they're the ones that mostly go FA route!!! Bastards!

Okay, so we've been here before. We lost Schultz, but next year we got good Karma when G Freddy Andersen went back into the draft b/c it didn't work out with Carolina. This year, we lose out on Thrun. I hope Karma is on our side and we win the lottery for Bedard regardless of where we finish this season!

Damn Thrun didn't want to be a Duck and there will be roster positions for him at the NHL this year and next if he brought it. f*** that guy! I wanted him over Tracey and LaCombe at the time of the draft. We lucked out b/c we still have Tracey and LaCombe. Still pisses me off Thrun doesn't like the Ducks' org. (I'll be even more irate if his future reasoning was because he lost ties with the org due to new GM.)

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Wish the league would fix the loop hole… or do some sort of comp pick

Either way…. Screw him we’re fine without him

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Wish the league would fix the loop hole… or do some sort of comp pick

Either way…. Screw him we’re fine without him
It isn't a loophole, the same rules apply to all prospects regardless of where they play or what league they were drafted from.

It's just a weird coincidence that the deadline to sign prospects lines up perfectly with the time it takes to get a degree.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
It’s disappointing but I’m not that high on him. He doesn’t skate well enough or play physical enough to be an impact player ImO. Hopefully they can get Moore signed

RD Moore is a Harvard prospect too and next year he needs to be signed b/c it is his fourth year since he was drafted. Although his offense hasn't popped off, his defense is still very good. I hope we can sign Moore.

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada
It isn't a loophole, the same rules apply to all prospects regardless of where they play or what league they were drafted from.

It's just a weird coincidence that the deadline to sign prospects lines up perfectly with the time it takes to get a degree.

If you go by the dictionary definition of loophole (an inadequacy of a law) its absolutely a loophole. Especially when you consider it seems to disproportionately affect small market teams.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
If you go by the dictionary definition of loophole (an inadequacy of a law) its absolutely a loophole. Especially when you consider it seems to disproportionately affect small market teams.
For the most part the players who seem to not sign do so to be closer to home.

And I just disagree about the loophole stuff. The rule is after four years a prospect who is unsigned can sign anywhere, it's the same for everyone and there is no ambiguity.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA

It’s a loophole in that every player not in a college program would have to re-enter the draft after 2 years or else not play in North America.

I feel like players in college need to have to sit a full calendar year as the penalty for doing this and having the reward of not having to re-enter the draft.

But, it’s in the CBA, and it isn’t going away unless the big market teams start getting routinely burned by it.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
It’s a loophole in that every player not in a college program would have to re-enter the draft after 2 years or else not play in North America.

I feel like players in college need to have to sit a full calendar year as the penalty for doing this and having the reward of not having to re-enter the draft.

But, it’s in the CBA, and it isn’t going away unless the big market teams start getting routinely burned by it.
For college players intent on staying for the full four years, the only ones who would care about this, draft reentry wouldn't mean much. The rules as written are done so to benefit the team, not the player.

GreatBear

Feb 18, 2009
Newport Beach
I will feel disappointed for an hour, and then I will move on. Those are the rules, and while I disagree with this particular rule, we knew about it and live with the consequences. However, it makes college bound players less desirable in the draft to me than players coming up in the Canadian Juniors. The players from the Juniors are a much better bet to be signed if they develop in the Juniors properly. That doesn't mean that we should automatically not draft any college bound players. But I think that this risk is a factor in evaluating whether to draft them.

Thrun would have been an interesting prospect. However, we have other, and I think better, alternatives who are more likely to make it to the NHL. In the end we lost a fourth round draft choice. And while it is irritating, it is not as irritating as losing Schultz.

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

darkwingduck

Nov 7, 2014
Mission Viejo, CA
I assume he either has a team in mind he wants to play for or wants to open up his options. I don’t understand the theory he looked at the amount of defensive prospects as his reason, like the inverse is that the Anaheim Ducks blue line is gonna have a major upheaval and there’s at least 4 (maybe even more) spots up for grabs.

A professional athlete shying from a big opportunity because of the competition?

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
For college players intent on staying for the full four years, the only ones who would care about this, draft reentry wouldn't mean much. The rules as written are done so to benefit the team, not the player.
The current rules allow the player to gain UFA career control (combined with a 2 year ELC) 3-5 years prior to any other drafted players. This is absolutely to the player’s benefit. Going back into the draft removes that control.

As I implied, this is typically to the benefit of larger market/deep-pocketed teams, so it is unlikely to go away any time soon.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
The thing that has always tempered my excitement about Thrun is wondering what specific skills he has that are NHL level. He's an excellent college defenseman (being a senior helps) but what is going to translate to the NHL? I'm just not sure. OTOH, I see Moore as having a couple of qualities that could translate.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
The current rules allow the player to gain UFA career control (combined with a 2 year ELC) 3-5 years prior to any other drafted players. This is absolutely to the player’s benefit. Going back into the draft removes that control.

As I implied, this is typically to the benefit of larger market/deep-pocketed teams, so it is unlikely to go away any time soon.
I just wholeheartedly disagree with this. I believe the extension for signing NCAA players is in there to increase likelihood that drafted players will sign with the team that drafted them, not to protect their rights. Agree to disagree.

The thing that has always tempered my excitement about Thrun is wondering what specifically skills he has that are NHL level. He's an excellent college defenseman (being a senior helps) but what is going to translate to the NHL? I'm just not sure. OTOH, I see Moore as having a couple of qualities that could translate.
Thrun is very smart but lacks athleticism and dynamism. Kind of the opposite of the dmen we have been drafting for awhile. Who knows how he will translate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad