Prospect Info: 2022-23 Ducks Prospects

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
Henry Thrun will not sign

Its so funny how one of his attributes that the team liked about him was his makeup and character. I guess that doesn't include loyalty. Now we have to hope that he busts like Welinski for being a soft mija with slow feet.

My guess is we won't get anything from him. He will probably be included in a trade for a first as a throw in. If PV could get a return like Jack McBain that would really be a miracle.

Maybe this is why our recent drafts have leaned Canadian. Its ridiculous that small market teams keep getting burned by this...

Reactions: Arthuros

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
To be fair, Thrun edge skating at rookie camp was no where near NHL level. He fell down multiple times doing edge work. Hope the best for him since it was HIS option, it's not his fault these rules are f***ed. Would have been nice to have an extra D asset but now we will get nothing or a super late pick. Oh well #DucksHockey

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
I can't be mad, this is going to be a hard defense to crack, which feels funny to say considering how bad it's been this season, but when him and all of the other guys coming over next year are actually competing for spots, he could find himself buried on the depth chart very quickly. Can't be upset that he wants to go somewhere with a better chance to actually turn hockey into a career.

Reactions: Leonardo87

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
I can't be mad, this is going to be a hard defense to crack, which feels funny to say considering how bad it's been this season, but when him and all of the other guys coming over next year are actually competing for spots, he could find himself buried on the depth chart very quickly. Can't be upset that he wants to go somewhere with a better chance to actually turn hockey into a career.
I think any NHL team would be difficult to crack... especially for a player who is average at skating. I have a feeling he selfishly just didn't want to be a duck and would prefer to be in a better organization and bigger market. Otherwise what does that say about him as a person? Afraid of competition? Unsure of his abilities?

GunnarStahl

Let’s go shake their hands
Oct 13, 2020
Considering Boston were all over Mitchell Miller, Thrun could be very appealing to trade for.

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
Can someone repost the part of the article from a few months ago that seemed to indicate this would happen?

This sucks. I wanted him to sign more than LaCombe.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
One day after Valentines, yeeesh :laugh:

Sucks, but kind of had it coming. Excited about LaCombe.
As someone else mentioned, I kind of saw more potential in Moore, which doesn't make sense given their production and pedigree. Thrun at times looked too slow. But he is a decent prospect anyway and under the right org and situation, will probably succeed.

GunnarStahl

Oct 13, 2020
Man, this does burn a lot though. I was too you for the Schultz incident to mean anything but I’ve loved Thrun ever since got drafted and have loved watching him as a prospect.

Boo Boo

Jan 31, 2013
I don’t think he is intimidated by the challenge of cracking our d. By the time any of our other prospects are ready he would have had his foot firmly in the door and burned a few years of entry level contract off.

If he just doesn’t want to be a duck that’s his own business I guess.

It really does highlight lacombes character and dedication to the team that he chose to sign after finishing his program. And in a way we were the beneficiaries of Helleson doing the same thing in Colorado so there’s that I guess.

Reactions: Kalv

All Mighty

Sep 20, 2014
California
allmightyhockeytalk.com
So this is what the Gulls' defense could look like next year:

Mintyukov - Helleson
Zellweger - Strand (RFA)
Hinds - LaCombe

My guess is Andersson goes back to Europe, but he's an RFA, so he could potentially still stay. Colton White is also signed for another year, so he could be an AHL option, too.

Reactions: Leonardo87

la patineuse

Aug 21, 2010
I think most of us expected this, but it still sucks this has happened twice to the Ducks. The NHL does need to compensate teams for wasted draft picks. It's not like the Ducks didn't want to sign either him or Schultz. Maybe they should stay away from Harvard players who have a track record of doing this. Hey Donato! Couldn't you have put in a good word for your former team?

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA

Mintyukov - Helleson
Zellweger - Strand (RFA)
Hinds - LaCombe

My guess is Andersson goes back to Europe, but he's an RFA, so he could potentially still stay. Colton White is also signed for another year, so he could be an AHL option, too.
Wonder about Juolevi, he's a RFA and been hurt for awhile but was doing well for them when healthy. Probably good competition for our young guys coming in

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits.
Nov 26, 2017
Man, this does burn a lot though. I was too you for the Schultz incident to mean anything but I’ve loved Thrun ever since got drafted and have loved watching him as a prospect.

You missed a saga. And even though he never lived up to the massive hype surrounding him, I'm still not completely over the way he went about handling it (stringing the organization along, yet ignoring them to the point he left Scott Niedermayer hanging for a potential meeting).

On the contrary, Thrun is what it is: a guy who we drafted and who developed into a quality prospect, took advantage of a loophole in the CBA, and was still professional enough to let the organization know. Hope he has a good career, and having LaCombe around lessens the sting of it a bit.

Last edited:

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York

Mintyukov - Helleson
Zellweger - Strand (RFA)
Hinds - LaCombe

That’s a very stacked D roster, Gulls really need it. Hopefully half these guys make the jump to the NHL by the end of the next season or start of the following season.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Wasn't he more of a defensive style D of our prospects before he broke out with the offense?
Yes, he fell in draft because of lack of offense. Then in Harward decided to score a lot.

Edit: well, after double checking the stats I guess he wasnt bad either

GunnarStahl

Oct 13, 2020

At 1:54 is Thrun’s beautiful no look pass that he sold so well Z didn’t even have to get anything on the shot to pot a goal. Bummed we don’t get his well rounded two way game, but this was always my favorite play from him as a prospect. There was also his 6 point game to start the year at Harvard last year that was insane to watch. As well as some bone crushing hits.

Reactions: Boo Boo
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad