2021 Roster Thread XIX - Who's In Net

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
I don’t think that would actually be the price unless Chuck is dumber than I think but more so just laughing at Meltzer. That’s a straight Peter Chiarelli trade.

Maybe I'm just misremembering but I thought he used to be alright. Not sure what happened but he's been unbearable the last few years. Had to click the unfollow button

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
That's a weird metric.

Can we get WoTBi2019 adjusted per 60 minutes?

We should get the goalie from the team that swept Tampa and sign him to a fat ass contract.

Weeeeeee

As far as the BJs sweep of the Lightning goes...

Jones actually only led the team in icetime in one of the four games. In the other three it was Savard twice and Werenski once.

And in all four games Jones was paired with Werenski for the entire time, who is clearly their best defensemen and more qualified to be called the BJs #1 than Jones.

So even if we pretend that being the "#1" of the team that beat the team that won the cup the next year was a valid way to determine quality of a player, it doesn't even apply here. :laugh:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

HLQtKc3.gif

Time for Bill to find something else to do with himself.

Farabee > Jones.

Jones is a top 4 D-man, he's a marginal 1st pair guy, he has little upside at this point (at 26, with 8 years experience, what you see is probably all you're gonna get), he might be a minor upgrade over Sanheim. He's not Pietrangelo, he's not even Carlsson, certainly not in the same class as Hedman. Hedman signed a 8yr/$63M in 2017-18, at 26 years old.

Norris: no votes in 2020-21, 14th in 2019-20, 9th in 2018-19, 4th in 2017-18, 18th in 2016-17
So basically there was a two year period where he was hyped as a top ten D-man, but that was 3 years ago, no one sees him as one today.
He's flatlined, and there's no reason to expect some huge rebound.

CBJ is going to lose him after this season, they can't play hardball, and conditional picks predicted on Jones signing an extension are no longer permitted.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
One thing I've noticed is a lot of people simply ignore the implications of a flat cap.

You're gonna see a bunch of teams, especially playoff teams, shedding salary this offseason, because they signed contracts before COVID that they can't afford to carry the next few years. That will mean bargains galore out there, and also limited destinations for players with big cap hits.

FAs are going to find it rough going if they expect to get the same deals they would have received in the summer of 2019, when GMs expected the Cap to rise 20+% over a 7 year contract, so they weren't as worried about the out years. Now they're expecting a flat cap for 2-3 more years, then a slow increase of 1-2% for a couple more years (until the money "fronted" to the players the last two seasons is paid back).

My expectation are that top contracts will be 5-10% less than 2019, second tier guys will get 10-20% less, and third tier guys will be squeezed by younger, cheaper players.

This also means that players like Farabee who are cost controlled and already playing at a high level have tremendous value.
Players like Voracek may have negative value.
So moving expensive veterans will require matching contracts or paying a third party to retain some salary.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
One thing I've noticed is a lot of people simply ignore the implications of a flat cap.

You're gonna see a bunch of teams, especially playoff teams, shedding salary this offseason, because they signed contracts before COVID that they can't afford to carry the next few years. That will mean bargains galore out there, and also limited destinations for players with big cap hits.

FAs are going to find it rough going if they expect to get the same deals they would have received in the summer of 2019, when GMs expected the Cap to rise 20+% over a 7 year contract, so they weren't as worried about the out years. Now they're expecting a flat cap for 2-3 more years, then a slow increase of 1-2% for a couple more years (until the money "fronted" to the players the last two seasons is paid back).

My expectation are that top contracts will be 5-10% less than 2019, second tier guys will get 10-20% less, and third tier guys will be squeezed by younger, cheaper players.

This also means that players like Farabee who are cost controlled and already playing at a high level have tremendous value.
Players like Voracek may have negative value.
So moving expensive veterans will require matching contracts or paying a third party to retain some salary.
or maybe you just keep your top point getter for the year

Reactions: Ironmanrulez
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad