OT: 2021 Football Thread: Mock Draft SZN

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
imo, the #2 overall pick has to be the starter from Day 1.
It's not like the world ends or the franchise suffers if they don't though. Just so long as they get close to that enormous potential I'm fine with a player needing time to acclimate to the speed, reads and all that.

Even just sitting a little can help. I think not having massive, unrealistic, forced expectations helped baker and Herbert both shine in their first performance. Ironically as emergency replacements for Tyrod. They prob got a shot of adrenaline, everyone else lifted their game to help and the coaches probably just told them to play their game. Don't stress. Just be smart with the football. It worked for both guys.

I always hated starting Sam over teddy. Thought it was a terrible move to rush him and teddy flat out looked great. Could've built up teddy's value way more, gotten a piece we desperately needed in the trade instead of just a 3rd and given Sam just a little more time to bake. He wasn't even bad but I always feel it was the better overall decision to let teddy run with it a bit first for all those reasons

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
I disagree with that this time around since this draft had no combine and minimum scouting and has players that took the year off.

I actually prefer the 2022 picks.
I think jd has had a clear plan to stock up on that draft bc covid has likely pushed a TON of talent back into that draft. It's also real smart bc it means we won't have 8 million guys all coming up on a new contract at once. Spread it out a bit more by getting some 2022 picks instead of 2021.

Reactions: SRHRangers

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
It's not like the world ends or the franchise suffers if they don't though. Just so long as they get close to that enormous potential I'm fine with a player needing time to acclimate to the speed, reads and all that.

Even just sitting a little can help. I think not having massive, unrealistic, forced expectations helped baker and Herbert both shine in their first performance. Ironically as emergency replacements for Tyrod. They prob got a shot of adrenaline, everyone else lifted their game to help and the coaches probably just told them to play their game. Don't stress. Just be smart with the football. It worked for both guys.

I always hated starting Sam over teddy. Thought it was a terrible move to rush him and teddy flat out looked great. Could've built up teddy's value way more, gotten a piece we desperately needed in the trade instead of just a 3rd and given Sam just a little more time to bake. He wasn't even bad but I always feel it was the better overall decision to let teddy run with it a bit first for all those reasons

Imo, difference was Teddy Bridgewater was a pretty good QB. He was on the rise until he hurt his knee and missed a year. With Jones the Giants had Eli. Only worked for a game but he was there. Who is the Jets backup you would start?

Can’t go searching the FA market and hoping somebody arrives to learn the offense and teach.

I’m ok letting a kid learn b/c they are so young as long as the current QB situation is more stable. I don’t see that with the Jets.

Reactions: Hi ImHFNYR

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Imo, difference was Teddy Bridgewater was a pretty good QB. He was on the rise until he hurt his knee and missed a year. With Jones the Giants had Eli. Only worked for a game but he was there. Who is the Jets backup you would start?

Can’t go searching the FA market and hoping somebody arrives to learn the offense and teach.

I’m ok letting a kid learn b/c they are so young as long as the current QB situation is more stable. I don’t see that with the Jets.

Of course I'm hoping whoever they draft is just that good he takes the job and becomes elite, I'm just saying I don't feel like they absolutely must start day 1 no matter what. Even if they have a shit option vet QB like Flacco again I'd be ok.

I kinda hope they bring in Alex Smith. Everyone raves about how great a mentor he was to Mahomes. As long as you draft a young guy who actually wants to put the work in and isn't delusional (cough Haskins cough) he'd be so good for a Wilson or Fields to learn from/under for a bit. Plus he's just about the single most easy to root for dude in the league. I was rooting for Washington last season bc of Smith.

Even with that worm of a human SNyder running the team. Freakin Washington!

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
I dunno but that 99.9999% certainty that Douglas is taking Wilson has dropped to 98.9999% as I'm starting to get vibes about Fields....hmmmm.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I dunno but that 99.9999% certainty that Douglas is taking Wilson has dropped to 98.9999% as I'm starting to get vibes about Fields....hmmmm.

It's not gonna be Fields.
It's either Wilson
OR
there is a constant progression of trading back.

like for example.
SF wants 2OA, they have to give us
3OA + Starting LT McG. + 2022 1st [or similar]
for
2OA + 2022 2nd

we then flip 3OA
to ATL
for 4OA +++

and so on.

We trade in and out and we do sewell + slater, + CBs, etc.

We do max upgrade everywhere except QB, and we take a stopgap there until opportunity knocks

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
It's not gonna be Fields.
It's either Wilson
OR
there is a constant progression of trading back.

like for example.
SF wants 2OA, they have to give us
3OA + Starting LT McG. + 2022 1st [or similar]
for
2OA + 2022 2nd

we then flip 3OA
to ATL
for 4OA +++

and so on.

We trade in and out and we do sewell + slater, + CBs, etc.

We do max upgrade everywhere except QB, and we take a stopgap there until opportunity knocks

Yah I know it's not going to be Fields but the talking heads have been talking him up the past few days. Wilson is perfect for the Lafleur offense....we are taking him no doubt!

Reactions: bernmeister

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Kiper's new mock is out. It's 2 rounds. Don't like the Etienne pick in this because there's still a ton of OL guys out there past 34. Would rather take Dickerson, Eichenberg, Cosmi, Radunz, etc. Especially since the report on Cosmi and Eichneberg is they won't stay at LT but could be a RT or G. Their value falling b/c of where they'll end up doesn't matter for the Jets with Becton there

Jets

#2 - Wilson
#23 - Newsome (CB)
#34 - Etienne

Giants

#11 - Waddle
#42 - Ronnie Perkins (DE)

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Kiper's new mock is out. It's 2 rounds. Don't like the Etienne pick in this because there's still a ton of OL guys out there past 34. Would rather take Dickerson, Eichenberg, Cosmi, Radunz, etc. Especially since the report on Cosmi and Eichneberg is they won't stay at LT but could be a RT or G. Their value falling b/c of where they'll end up doesn't matter for the Jets with Becton there

Jets
#2 - Wilson
#23 - Newsome (CB)
#34 - Etienne

Giants

#11 - Waddle
#42 - Ronnie Perkins (DE)

I’m very confident the Giants will mess this up. They might draft Eli Apple

The Jets and this Etienne fella. What’s the obsession? Is he really that good? Remember Wayne Gallman? He went to Clemson and had similar stats.( Etienene’s stats are higher) while Gallman dropped to the 4th Round and the Giants took him. He’s a free agent now. Nice back but appears similar to Etienne. What am i missing?

Both have great highlights from a powerhouse Clemson team

Stats, size, etc they’re in a similar ballpark. Yes, Etienne’s stats are better but is he really that much better? Like two or three Rounds better?
Travis Etienne College Stats | College Football at Sports-Reference.com

Wayne Gallman College Stats | College Football at Sports-Reference.com

SRHRangers

Aug 18, 2020
Is it just me, or is Sewell dropping like a stone in these mocks?

Saw several that don't have him in the top 10.

Bern may blow a gasket if he gets past 10 and the Jets don't trade up.

Reactions: bernmeister

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC

Some people have Slater above him. A small number but I've seen it.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
I’m very confident the Giants will mess this up. They might draft Eli Apple

The Jets and this Etienne fella. What’s the obsession? Is he really that good? Remember Wayne Gallman? He went to Clemson and had similar stats.( Etienene’s stats are higher) while Gallman dropped to the 4th Round and the Giants took him. He’s a free agent now. Nice back but appears similar to Etienne. What am i missing?

Both have great highlights from a powerhouse Clemson team

Stats, size, etc they’re in a similar ballpark. Yes, Etienne’s stats are better but is he really that much better? Like two or three Rounds better?
Travis Etienne College Stats | College Football at Sports-Reference.com

Wayne Gallman College Stats | College Football at Sports-Reference.com
I've been pretty much the only one in here who has been pumping up Etienne and hoping they took him at 23.

If they were able to get him at 34 that would be grand theft larceny for Douglas to pull off. I've watched him a bunch. He's much better than Gallman. He's dynamic and is the kind of player who would thrive in a Lafleur type West Coast offense.

I don't think there is anway Etienne lasts till 34 and so if Jets want him, they'd need to take him at 23. And with the amount of draft picks the Jets have, I'd be more than OK with it. Take him at 34...I'd be ecstatic.

Reactions: NYSPORTS

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I like Perkins. The Jets may take a QB, but I'd take a high % pick that will make the offense better: Penei Sewell, OT, Oregon

This is the guy I wanted when we had Darnold and had more ammo to add signif to SD and get 3 or 4OA.

We no longer have that position.

Either pick Wilson at 2OA and try to move back in to grab Sewell

OR

flip 2OA for 3OA++

then 3OA for 4OA++

then grab Sewell at 4 b'c he won't get past 5.

then,
if a good project QB is available, consider one of the surplus picks

otherwise
instead of Wilson use all of this to add signif to our whole roster

go w/stopgap signal caller until opportunity knocks.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple

there will be a crazy scramble to grab a QB while there is a pecking order.

But Sewell should not fall past Cincy at 5 unless they prefer a C. The ? is which position in this case offers their QB most protection?

Depending on how this goes, esp if we do take Wilson at 2 and do not actrively initiate trading back, we need to consider moving back into the top 10 dep on who is there and what is the cost

SRHRangers

Aug 18, 2020

But Sewell should not fall past Cincy at 5 unless they prefer a C. The ? is which position in this case offers their QB most protection?

Depending on how this goes, esp if we do take Wilson at 2 and do not actrively initiate trading back, we need to consider moving back into the top 10 dep on who is there and what is the cost

Bengals can very well go Chase (Burrows old teammate), Pitts (ton of mocks), or Slater.

I'm just seeing Sewell drop like a stone the last two weeks.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019

you can still get a Sewell jersey :):)

home, away, alternate, custom . . . .

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I saw that Kiper mock that had the Jets going Wilson, Newsome, Etienne. I don't even particularly want Etienne but if they got Wilson, a top CB, and Etienne? That would be pretty sweet.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
I saw that Kiper mock that had the Jets going Wilson, Newsome, Etienne. I don't even particularly want Etienne but if they got Wilson, a top CB, and Etienne? That would be pretty sweet.

It wouldn't be the end of the world but if it plays out that 34 comes up, there's multiple OL there and we go RB, I'm gonna be annoyed.

It's a luxury pick. not an awful one, but a flashy one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad