Rumor: 2021-22 Trade Rumors and FA Part V: To Giroux or not to Giroux

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
yeah? And what do they say about Mark Stone?
The big difference is the Avs have repeatedly said Byram is cleared... where Stone is having back issues. Avs could have easily kept Byram on IR with symptoms, but they didn't. Now the impetus would be that symptoms are back. That said, Avs could figure it out if they wanted.

SaltySkywalker

Bushes of Love
Jul 15, 2016
Tatooine
The big difference is the Avs have repeatedly said Byram is cleared... where Stone is having back issues. Avs could have easily kept Byram on IR with symptoms, but they didn't. Now the impetus would be that symptoms are back. That said, Avs could figure it out if they wanted.

My comment is less about Byram as it is about Stone. The point is the whole system is kind of a joke and every rule seems to be bent, twisted, and out-maneuvered without any pushback (probably a touch dramatic).

Sakic is just your typical nice guy.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
I don't think this is a hot take, but I think there's a very good chance Ryan Murray is traded at the deadline.

He's rarely played - both in terms of games (23) and ice time (14:07) - and has been below average (sometimes brutal) most of the season. I thought his contract ($2M) was going to be a bargain, but it's one of the worst on the team in retrospect; Murray would definitely be in the press box most nights if Bowen Byram was healthy.

Even if there was a massive wave of defensive injuries in the playoffs, I think Bednar would spread the minutes (and give sizable roles to Justin Barron and Jacob MacDonald) before we'd ever see Murray playing 20+ minutes a night. In other words, I don't really see him as an insurance option; just as a third pairing defenseman who's already struggling with sheltered minutes.

We'll see what happens, but if Colorado trades for a defenseman, dollars to donuts Murray is going the other way as a cap casualty.

Reactions: AvsGuy

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Murray never played on the right side in the NHL before and now he's asked to play on the right next to JJ. Add to that a lot of missed games/rust/timing issues....Not exactly a recipe for success.

Reactions: Bill Peckerskull

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I still think that if Murray is on your 3rd pairing that's damn good.

Now if we could get a damn RD to play with him on the 3rd pair and push down JJ as the 7th D...

Also EJ has regressed quite a bit after a good first month. The right side of that defense is a weakness.

Reactions: Richard88

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
I'm all for throwing Ryan Murray into a trade, can't remember a less impactful player in either direction for the Avs in ages

Reactions: shadow1

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Murray never played on the right side in the NHL before and now he's asked to play on the right next to JJ. Add to that a lot of missed games/rust/timing issues....Not exactly a recipe for success.

Now if we could get a damn RD to play with him on the 3rd pair and push down JJ as the 7th D...

Also EJ has regressed quite a bit after a good first month. The right side of that defense is a weakness.

I thought that before the season, but he's been bad. Don't get me wrong, the entire bottom-3 defense has stunk lately, but he's still been the worst of the bunch.

As far as rust goes, dating back to 2016-2017, Murray has only played in 258 of a possible 417 games (61.8%). I'll happily eat crow if he turns his season around and manages to stay healthy, but I'm not counting on it. Murray was even healthy scratched a few times with New Jersey last year, which I -- in error -- chalked up to him struggling on a terrible team. Based on what we've seen so far, unfortunately I think injuries have done him in.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
It’s a pretty simple rule to fix. Just make a rule that teams have to be cap compliant in the playoffs too.
Can't do that without changing a lot of things. Cap hit is spread throughout the season. On day 1 it's 100% and after game 82 then every player has $0 cap hit (they aren't getting a paycheck beyond that).

That's why cap hits are lower at the deadline and you can’t extend it in the playoffs.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
It’s a pretty simple rule to fix. Just make a rule that teams have to be cap compliant in the playoffs too.

I'd give teams a bit more flexibility, as it's nice to have prospects and tweeners that may play with the team. Just a minor tweak of having to ice a roster that is cap compliant (with the effective cap hit based off the TDL) would go a long way.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
Seattle
I thought that before the season, but he's been bad. Don't get me wrong, the entire bottom-3 defense has stunk lately, but he's still been the worst of the bunch.

As far as rust goes, dating back to 2016-2017, Murray has only played in 258 of a possible 417 games (61.8%). I'll happily eat crow if he turns his season around and manages to stay healthy, but I'm not counting on it. Murray was even healthy scratched a few times with New Jersey last year, which I -- in error -- chalked up to him struggling on a terrible team. Based on what we've seen so far, unfortunately I think injuries have done him in.

I personally feel JJ has been the worst of the bunch. Getting someone like Braun to play with Murray as a shutdown pairing would be ideal.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018

How much of it's the compressed schedule.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
At least people are taking notice and realizing it's kind of a bullshit loophole. Small consolation though when Vegas inevitably still gets away with it and beats us this year.
Even then big difference between the Kuch and Stone situations. Kuch actually had surgery and was out for the season because of that. Vegas is just exaggerating this to stay compliant.

Reactions: SaltySkywalker

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
Seattle

I also think that any player going on LTIR needs to be evaluated by a neutral league doctor. That would clear up some of the suspicion about these convenient injuries.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
At least people are taking notice and realizing it's kind of a bullshit loophole. Small consolation though when Vegas inevitably still gets away with it and beats us this year.

Taking notice? Just now? It was a big flashing neon sign for the practical entirety of last season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad