Rumor: 2021-22 Trade Rumors and FA Part V: To Giroux or not to Giroux

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I also think that any player going on LTIR needs to be evaluated by a neutral league doctor. That would clear up some of the suspicion about these convenient injuries.

For a player to go on LTIR, it has to get cleared though the NHL... so this already happens.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
That isn't exactly the worst thing for a 3rd pairing defender.

I know it goes against prevailing logic but the Avs are a high event team and low event players are not the best fit. Even Ryan Graves was a better fit for the Avs than Ryan Murray is, he was just playing too high in the lineup

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
For the 'loophole' to be fixed, it would take teams and players to actually want to solve it. There might be individual teams that want it solved, but they are far from the majority... and the players don't (and shouldn't) really want it closed either.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
For the 'loophole' to be fixed, it would take teams and players to actually want to solve it. There might be individual teams that want it solved, but they are far from the majority... and the players don't (and shouldn't) really want it closed either.

This is a good point. If the cap was increasing more on a yearly basis, maybe it would be different. But you have to think because of the stagnation of the cap, teams see this as relief.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
LTIR MacK until the playoffs. Acquire Giroux, no retention, for a package involving JTC and picks/prospects. Make a play for a depth D (preferably RD) while packaging Jost. Jettison Murray + picks/prospect to the Yotes for Crouse. There's your 2022 Avs dream trade deadline.

Give MacK, Makar and EJ a break until the playoffs, they clearly are still suffering from "emotional damage" from the continued playoff failures. That should give us the room to add Giroux, Pavelski, Klingberg and Hertl.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
I don't think this is a hot take, but I think there's a very good chance Ryan Murray is traded at the deadline.

He's rarely played - both in terms of games (23) and ice time (14:07) - and has been below average (sometimes brutal) most of the season. I thought his contract ($2M) was going to be a bargain, but it's one of the worst on the team in retrospect; Murray would definitely be in the press box most nights if Bowen Byram was healthy.

Even if there was a massive wave of defensive injuries in the playoffs, I think Bednar would spread the minutes (and give sizable roles to Justin Barron and Jacob MacDonald) before we'd ever see Murray playing 20+ minutes a night. In other words, I don't really see him as an insurance option; just as a third pairing defenseman who's already struggling with sheltered minutes.

We'll see what happens, but if Colorado trades for a defenseman, dollars to donuts Murray is going the other way as a cap casualty.
When he signed his contract was considered pretty cheap and looked like a vet taking a cheap deal to play on a contender, so trading him at the deadline wouldn't be the best look. Will future cup-chasing UFA's want to take a cheap one year deal in Colorado knowing they could get traded at the deadline, knowing it happened to Murray?

Reactions: Avsboy

nammerus

Mar 9, 2003
Visit site
When he signed his contract was considered pretty cheap and looked like a vet taking a cheap deal to play on a contender, so trading him at the deadline wouldn't be the best look. Will future cup-chasing UFA's want to take a cheap one year deal in Colorado knowing they could get traded at the deadline, knowing it happened to Murray?

What cup chasing geriatric has ever really made a difference to a teams cup aspirations? It actually might be a positive that Sakic can’t sign these mediocre stop gaps in the future.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
I'm all for throwing Ryan Murray into a trade, can't remember a less impactful player in either direction for the Avs in ages
Low-impact hockey isn't necessarily a bad thing from a third pair Dman. In fact, most coaches would take that over a more impactful but volatile option. If you're not noticing Murray either way then that's probably a good thing considering his role.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Low-impact hockey isn't necessarily a bad thing from a third pair Dman. In fact, most coaches would take that over a more impactful but volatile option. If you're not noticing Murray either way then that's probably a good thing considering his role.

Unfortunately I only wish Murray was low-event. He was abominable last night, with or without the puck.

Going into the playoffs with a bottom pairing of Jack Johnson and Ryan Murray is completely unacceptable. Joe's gotta do something.

nammerus

Mar 9, 2003
Visit site
Unfortunately I only wish Murray was low-event. He was abominable last night, with or without the puck.

Going into the playoffs with a bottom pairing of Jack Johnson and Ryan Murray is completely unacceptable. Joe's gotta do something.

Probably should have started by signing some decent depth defenceman in the off-season.

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019
Sakic himself confirms the 2022 first is lottery protected.

@ 6:15

I love how this was still a question despite the fact it’s February and we’ve got a 20 point buffer for playoff position. If lottery protection on that pick was a serious consideration, we would be having a lot more problems than just that pick.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Probably should have started by signing some decent depth defenceman in the off-season.

Given the cap situation I don't think they necessarily did a bad job. Keep in mind the top four was supposed to include Byram, Jack Johnson should be rotating with Murray in the press box. It's just unfortunate injuries keep hitting and oddly, none of them are happening to the one guy we all expected it to happen to.

I don't really know of any depth defender they could have signed who would've been a marked improvement over those two, except maybe Jani Hakanpaa. The other might be Tony DeAngelo, but if the Avs signed him I'd probably be done watching hockey.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Question for the NHL rules guru on here...

Would it be allowed for the Avs to make a trade in ARI favors in order to get them to free our 1st round pick so Sakic can use it in a trade prior to this TDL? The Yotes would obviously get our 1st rounder next season and they would have better odds to get a higher pick as well. It would be unprotected obviously but it should still be a safe bet it wouldn't be a lottery pick. This could open up a lot of trade possibilities for Sakic prior to this TDL. I am assuming they can wave this year 1st rounder at any time.

To be clear I am not necessarily in favor of this depending obviously what the Avs would give the Yotes to make this happened and also due to our 1st next season being unprotected. I am just curious if it would be allowed by the rules.

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
Question for the NHL rules guru on here...

Would it be allowed for the Avs to make a trade in ARI favors in order to get them to free our 1st round pick so Sakic can use it in a trade prior to this TDL? The Yotes would obviously get our 1st rounder next season and they would have better odds to get a higher pick as well. It would be unprotected obviously but it should still be a safe bet it wouldn't be a lottery pick. This could open up a lot of trade possibilities for Sakic prior to this TDL. I am assuming they can wave this year 1st rounder at any time.

To be clear I am not necessarily in favor of this depending obviously what the Avs would give the Yotes to make this happened and also due to our 1st next season being unprotected. I am just curious if it would be allowed by the rules.
Sure they could, Avs trade their 2023 1st + 2022 3rd to 'Yotes for their own 2022 1st, or something like that.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Sure they could, Avs trade their 2023 1st + 2022 3rd to 'Yotes for their own 2022 1st, or something like that.
I don't believe this could be done like this as our 1st technically does not belong to them yet IMO. If we would lose most of our games then their 1st would be in the Avs' control because it is lottery protected.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008

I think they would. Murray is way younger (28) than the typical player taking a one-year deal to hunt for a cup. I definitely think his contract looked like a bargain, but at the same time Murray was coming off a down year and signed five days after UFA opened; so I question how much better other offers were.

For me it's as simple as this: he's not filling the role he was brought in to fill and he's not a part of the long term plans. If Colorado needs to shed his salary to bring in a guy like Carson Soucy (just an example), that's a no brainer in my opinion. Just my $0.02.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
I don't believe this could be done like this as our 1st technically does not belong to them yet IMO. If we would lose most of our games then their 1st would be in the Avs' control because it is lottery protected.

Hmm. Wouldn't you just void the first condition with this new trade? Don't see the issue if it's with the affected team.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
That feeling when you fear Jost has been re-signed.

qIVhCRI.jpg

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Hmm. Wouldn't you just void the first condition with this new trade? Don't see the issue if it's with the affected team.
Not really. What I am saying is the Yotes wouldn't be able to trade our 1st back to us because technically it doesn't belong to them yet so the trade as written by BP wouldn't be allowed by the NHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad