Rumor: 2021-22 Trade Rumors and FA Part V: To Giroux or not to Giroux

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Low-impact hockey isn't necessarily a bad thing from a third pair Dman. In fact, most coaches would take that over a more impactful but volatile option. If you're not noticing Murray either way then that's probably a good thing considering his role.
Ryan Murray is high event high stupid and injury prone. Get rid of him.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
That feeling when you fear Jost has been re-signed.

qIVhCRI.jpg

Honestly if he made under $1-1.25 mil i'd be happy with him.

Reactions: missionAvs

geofff

Aug 12, 2014
www.makeitsostudios.com
How are the Avs going to be over the cap? I think you're misunderstanding how the cap works if you think acquiring players at the TDL would put a team over the salary cap.
(Not just the Avs, but most contending teams) If you just count the contracts of players on the active roster during the playoffs.

Of course, there is no salary cap in the playoffs. It only counts for 180-or-so days during the regular season. And a players cap hit will only count for the amount of days, out of 180, that he is on the team.

But my point was that I don't think it is a simple fix to close this LTIR loophole. And was wondering what the previous proposal was that would close the loophole.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
(Not just the Avs, but most contending teams) If you just count the contracts of players on the active roster during the playoffs.

Of course, there is no salary cap in the playoffs. It only counts for 180-or-so days during the regular season. And a players cap hit will only count for the amount of days, out of 180, that he is on the team.

But my point was that I don't think it is a simple fix to close this LTIR loophole. And was wondering what the previous proposal was that would close the loophole.

I don't think it was hashed out, I believe there was just a vote to see if teams wanted to close the LTIR loophole -

I do think there could be some simple fixes - such as the iced roster has to be cap compliant based off the player's effective cap hit during the regular season. i.e. if a player was on LTIR the entire season and came back for the playoffs, they'd count 100% against the cap. If they were acquired at the trade deadline, then the effective cap hit would be based on when they were acquired.

Gruyeriev

Shut your five hole
Apr 14, 2021
I think they would. Murray is way younger (28) than the typical player taking a one-year deal to hunt for a cup. I definitely think his contract looked like a bargain, but at the same time Murray was coming off a down year and signed five days after UFA opened; so I question how much better other offers were.

For me it's as simple as this: he's not filling the role he was brought in to fill and he's not a part of the long term plans. If Colorado needs to shed his salary to bring in a guy like Carson Soucy (just an example), that's a no brainer in my opinion. Just my $0.02.
I’ve been beating the Soucy drum for a while now. I posted on the Seattle board about it and the Kraken fans basically said if the cap dump was Murray they would want more lol. ( JTC was the other cap dump option I gave them)

The Merchant

Sponsor
Aug 2, 2011
El Pueblo
DNVR wishlist for funsies:
  1. Giroux
  2. Pavelski
  3. Klingberg (if Byram remains out)
  4. de Haan
  5. J.T. Miller
  6. Giordano
  7. Toffoli
  8. L. Schenn
  9. Drouin
  10. Kessel
HM: DeBrusk

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
I don't think it was hashed out, I believe there was just a vote to see if teams wanted to close the LTIR loophole -

I do think there could be some simple fixes - such as the iced roster has to be cap compliant based off the player's effective cap hit during the regular season. i.e. if a player was on LTIR the entire season and came back for the playoffs, they'd count 100% against the cap. If they were acquired at the trade deadline, then the effective cap hit would be based on when they were acquired.

A very simple solution would be to make the final game of the regular season the deadline to activate players off LTIR. They don't have to play, but their cap hit needs to be accounted for by game 82.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
The lack of parity in the East is going to likely lead to a very saturated trade market. Hope Joe navigates it well, the prices should be more amenable this time around.

These types of situations is where Sakic shines.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Joe almost never does it, but his interview during the game last night felt like a bit of posturing to me.

Raved about how good the team has played, and made sure to get a line in about how there've been a lot of big deadline trades over the years that didn't pan out.

I did find it interesting though when he was talking about doing his due diligence and mentioned that there's still some teams that aren't sure whether they'll be out of the playoffs and sellers at the deadline or not.

That screams Pavelski on Dallas to me.

22FUTON9

Jun 30, 2010
Joe almost never does it, but his interview during the game last night felt like a bit of posturing to me.

Raved about how good the team has played, and made sure to get a line in about how there've been a lot of big deadline trades over the years that didn't pan out.

I did find it interesting though when he was talking about doing his due diligence and mentioned that there's still some teams that aren't sure whether they'll be out of the playoffs and sellers at the deadline or not.

That screams Pavelski on Dallas to me.
Pavelski’s the first guy I thought of when I heard that as well.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
It’s wild you could take the Avs forward
group from last night, which beat Tampa, and add MacKinnon and Giroux to it. The Avs would borderline have three first lines.

Reactions: Foppa2118

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
It’s wild you could take the Avs forward
group from last night, which beat Tampa, and add MacKinnon and Giroux to it. The Avs would borderline have three first lines.

So many different line combos you could try out

Giroux-Mack-Mikko
Lando-Kadri-Nuke/Bura
Nuke/Bura-Newhook-LOC

Lando-Mack-Giroux
Nuke/Bura-Kadri-Rants
Nuke/Bura-Newhook-LOC

Nuke/Bura-Kadri-Giroux
Nuke/Bura-Newhook-LOC

Nuke-Kadri-Bura
Giroux-Newhook-LOC

Reactions: Avs71